Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be going on my first long trip on Monday. It'll be about a 500 mile round trip-hoping to do it on just one tank, should be able to since I put 510 miles driving back and forth from work. Will post results Tues or Wed when I get back...

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hey swat49833, enjoy the ride. I had a blast in mine the week I bought it (almost 800 miles round trip plus a lot of mountain driving in between!)

I'm looking forward to your results when you return.

Lee

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Lee, Just filled up for the road trip. Burned almost 1/2 tank (one bar above 1/2) 242.1 miles put 5 gals in it for a tot of 48.42 MPG. This was always in ECON mode and driving the speed limits. I am very impressed with the numbers I'm getting. I am saving enough from driving the deisel truck to make the payment and the insurance for the CR-Z. Our trip will be a test to what this CR-Z can really get. We will do the entire trip in ECON mode, and do the posted speed limits. The majority of the trip will be 70 mph, the rest will be combo 60-65. I have reached 50 MPG but that was with hyper-miling back and forth from work. This trip will be no hyper-miling, just every day normal driving the speed limit road trip. Hoping to get somewhere between 50-55 MPG. Will post after we get back... Happy trails.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
that's pretty good... the best i got on my Si (197hp) was 420 and i still had 3 bars left...
The best I got on my TSX (200hp) was 522miles. Around 16 gallons of gasoline used in a tank size of 17.1 gallons. That's about 32.6 mpg (US gallon).

Now, with the CR-Z I have to visit gas station more often.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
The best I got on my TSX (200hp) was 522miles. Around 16 gallons of gasoline used in a tank size of 17.1 gallons. That's about 32.6 mpg (US gallon).

Now, with the CR-Z I have to visit gas station more often.
well the Si has a 13.2 gallon tank... and one correction, i had 1 bar left which is about 1.5 gallons of gas left... which would put me around 35.9mpg...

i'm certain driving conservatively, the CR-Z could get over 400 miles on a tank...

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
well the Si has a 13.2 gallon tank... and one correction, i had 1 bar left which is about 1.5 gallons of gas left... which would put me around 35.9mpg...

i'm certain driving conservatively, the CR-Z could get over 400 miles on a tank...
That's absolutely possible. I just need to keep on doing this until 1 bar or no bar at all.
Actually it is way easier than I've thought for getting 40mpg on this car.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1st long trip done...

:cry: Was hoping to get better numbers folks. Going down to Austin Tx only got 42.33 MPG. On way back got 45.5 MPG. Did speed limits down and back. I guess it's true, you get better mileage in town than you do hwy. I guess overall I'm pleased, as the max honda gave the CR-Z is 39 hwy. I was really expecting 48-52. HOWEVER I must say it was a very comfy ride, it was very easy to drive. And I will be buying the optional armrest. I used a pillow for an armrest on my right. Navigation was exacally correct, if I vered off hwy to rest it would tell me to stay left. The Nav system for long distance is excellent. Very quiet ride as well, I do have the nitro in tires and I think this helps...:cry:

·
Registered
159 Posts
:cry: Was hoping to get better numbers folks. Going down to Austin Tx only got 42.33 MPG. On way back got 45.5 MPG. Did speed limits down and back. I guess it's true, you get better mileage in town than you do hwy. I guess overall I'm pleased, as the max honda gave the CR-Z is 39 hwy. I was really expecting 48-52. HOWEVER I must say it was a very comfy ride, it was very easy to drive. And I will be buying the optional armrest. I used a pillow for an armrest on my right. Navigation was exacally correct, if I vered off hwy to rest it would tell me to stay left. The Nav system for long distance is excellent. Very quiet ride as well, I do have the nitro in tires and I think this helps...:cry:
Think those are great numbers, swat. Got about 42 on my only hwy drive, but am only getting low 30s in town because it's so hilly here. Almost none of my typical routes around town are flat.

What was the hwy speed limit there? Did you see the post a while back that showed mpgs increasing about 5mpg for every 5 mph below the speed limit, down to 45-50, which had 55 mpgs, if my recollection is correct.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hey swat, just like David_PA said, those are great numbers. Do you think our fuel economy will increase as we get more miles on the Z? I haven't done much highway driving lately, but so far it does appear that I am approximately equal with what I could get with my Civic Coupe (42-44 MPG). My city driving yields significantly better fuel economy than the Civic, so I think the use of ECON, auto stop and the IMA really pays off in that situation (for me.)

I'd also thought about using a pillow for an armrest during my vacation (7 hours each way to the mountains and back) but could prop my right elbow on the side bolster. I wanted to see if I absolutely needed the armrest, and for me, the answer is no. The armrest should have been standard equipment -- minor gripe here. :)

I concur about the Navi. Very accurate and easy to use while driving.

The ride is much quieter and smoother than my Civic was.

I'll post mileage results after my next long drive (perhaps this weekend if I drive down to Kennedy Space Center.)

Again, great results!! :)

Lee

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks David and Lee,
You guys are right these are very good numbers. I guess I'm not use to these hybrids. Old school was you should get better fuel mileage on hwy. Since i was getting 42-50 MPG back and forth to work, thought it would be better on all hwy drive. This is the only reason I was a little disappointed. But over all very good numbers indeed.
I am going to try one more experiment. Remember when the speed limit on hwys use to be 55? I will drive 55 for a full tank back and forth from work with a little bit of hyper-miling after I get off hwy for 15 minute drive from hwy to work and vise-versa. This will take almost 2 full weeks so give it some time, but I will post updates every so often... And I will post seperate thread to track experiment better under the MPG forum.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Wife stripped CR-Z from me for the week

:cry:The wife wanted the Z for the week so I gave it to her (the car, that is). My 55 MPH test will start next week. Hopefully I will get it back, if not I may have to fire her--I already miss the Z... more than the wife hehehehe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.