1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I hope it's a joke. 60HP for $69.00? Ummmm, no thanks.

Oh wait, I am told I need to be more positive on this site. Ummmmmmm, it's ONLY $69.00.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Oh wait, I am told I need to be more positive on this site. Ummmmmmm, it's ONLY $69.00.
:rolleyes:

Yea, no way your gonna get 60 on a CR-Z (if anything else either), but just being a driver and not a mechanic, am wondering if there are any performance enhancements on a chip and in this case, for the CR-Z.

Seems to me, might mess with the IMA? Or, may actually increase torque and percieved performance a bit - increase the fun factor? Increasing mileage, probably not in this case.

Would not of even noticed except it was being advertised here on the forum.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't know guys... MSRP of $399.99 yet mine for $69.99!?... seems a bit suspect to me. But what do I know, I've never owned or used a chip before.

... Hey, if someone does take the chance I'd love to hear a review! :grin:

·
Registered
1,962 Posts

you were told that? lol, ive been meaning to say the same thing lol. sometimes it seems you dont even like the car.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know guys... MSRP of $399.99 yet mine for $69.99!?... seems a bit suspect to me. But what do I know, I've never owned or used a chip before.

... Hey, if someone does take the chance I'd love to hear a review! :grin:
Yea, me too. Was kind of what I was looking at starting this thread. Maybe not necessarily this 399.99 down to 69.99 chip, but the tech in general.

Anyone play with it?

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"...and is connected via 2 wires that plug into the IAT sensor."

^so its basically electronics that are lying about intake temps - not safe and not gonna make 60hp on any car.
Yep, feel the same. But I do know that performance chips have been around a while. Anything out there a supporting vendor would recommend. Of course, not looking for miracles... Just putting up for discussion.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you do realize that you can select ANY car on the left of that page and it will have the EXACT wording on each one... just the car is changed out lol...

someone please test this... no, better yet... buy 2 and double the CR-Z's powa! :fistpump:
Yep another reason for starting this one.

Have another forum advertiser

Honda Performance Chips

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
you were told that? lol, ive been meaning to say the same thing lol. sometimes it seems you dont even like the car.
Love the car. Does everything I ask of it. I just think it's funny that people are trying to take a 128 HP car and make it into some sort of speed demon. People want to spend huge amounts of money for an exhaust or an intake for 5-10 WHP gains and it seems ridiculous to me. That might drop their 1/4 mile time from 16.1 down to 15.9.

I would think that you would start with a better performance platform if HP is what you are after. I screwed around with my S2000 trying to get a few WHP here and there with CAI, exhausts, computer add on's and such and spent thousands of dollars to gain about 10 WHP. Didn't do anything other than cost me money. Finally said screw it and SCed it. No need to make any changes now, she's awesome.

Basically, just do it right the first time and be done with it. Don't dilly dally with a little bit here and a little bit there and say "all of the parts added together make a big difference." No they don't. We are staring with 128 CRANK horsepower, we aren't going to see 200 WHP with some simple add ons. Boost it and now you are talking.

But heck, it's not my car and not my money so spend as you see fit. Help this economy and lets keep people employed. Spend away people.

Stepping down off of my soap box now.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
BTW, maybe we should all buy these and help keep he site sponsor here. He helps us keep this site going.

There an entire post that was positive.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Love the car. Does everything I ask of it. I just think it's funny that people are trying to take a 128 HP car and make it into some sort of speed demon. People want to spend huge amounts of money for an exhaust or an intake for 5-10 WHP gains and it seems ridiculous to me. That might drop their 1/4 mile time from 16.1 down to 15.9.

I would think that you would start with a better performance platform if HP is what you are after. I screwed around with my S2000 trying to get a few WHP here and there with CAI, exhausts, computer add on's and such and spent thousands of dollars to gain about 10 WHP. Didn't do anything other than cost me money. Finally said screw it and SCed it. No need to make any changes now, she's awesome.

Basically, just do it right the first time and be done with it. Don't dilly dally with a little bit here and a little bit there and say "all of the parts added together make a big difference." No they don't. We are staring with 128 CRANK horsepower, we aren't going to see 200 WHP with some simple add ons. Boost it and now you are talking.

But heck, it's not my car and not my money so spend as you see fit. Help this economy and lets keep people employed. Spend away people.

Stepping down off of my soap box now.
i absolutely agree, however if i may add the CAI and exhaust that i worked on with turbo-kits.com really did wake up the car a tone. But that is as far as i would go for bolt-ons. for now its a waiting process for hondata, once that's released it boost time, nothing major just looking for a clean 200ish. only concern is the rods, i really dont want to go deep into building motors, its just my DD.

also, i wanted to say that honda motors are pointless to bolt on, its expensive with little results, just like back in the day with my FG i just went strait to SC. i always say all motor is for those who like to lose races lol.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BTW, maybe we should all buy these and help keep he site sponsor here. He helps us keep this site going.

There an entire post that was positive.
Not exactly where I was trying to take this, i.e., 399 chip for 49 etc...

But, OK. :hi5:

So back to original question; are there any real legit performance chips out there that can really make a difference as opposed to spending 450 on intake and another 4 or 500 (or more) for exhaust in order to achieve same degree of results?

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
So back to original question; are there any real legit performance chips out there that can really make a difference as opposed to spending 450 on intake and another 4 or 500 (or more) for exhaust in order to achieve same degree of results?
most car manufacturers detune their cars to run extremely safe... Honda does this too of course... there are NO SUCH CHIPS available on the newer Honda's that will help gains of any kind... the only REAL option is for you to buy a standalone ECU or wait for a company like Hondata to release a reflash for the ECU... and with those you'll generally have a slightly higher peak hp/tq number but a drastically improved powerband... meaning you can probably expect 20-30hp gains midrange and about 10-20hp throughout almost the entire powerband...

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
most car manufacturers detune their cars to run extremely safe... Honda does this too of course... there are NO SUCH CHIPS available on the newer Honda's that will help gains of any kind... the only REAL option is for you to buy a standalone ECU or wait for a company like Hondata to release a reflash for the ECU... and with those you'll generally have a slightly higher peak hp/tq number but a drastically improved powerband... meaning you can probably expect 20-30hp gains midrange and about 10-20hp throughout almost the entire powerband...
Thank you Bizzy

That closes out this thread. If someone sees a advertisement for a chip here - Buyer beware - Of course the forum probably doesn't really have that much control of the Google side of the advertisements.

:hi5:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.