Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They had a better price and I reasoned they probably have more experience tinting CRZs.

Hope this goes well...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
the dealership usually outsources to other people and mark up...

I would just find a good tint shop that has an experienced tinter. I got mine done for 200 from a friend's work (i got a good price because i know people) and the people who work there were telling me that the tinter was really taking his time to make sure the tint was going to be the best.

Sure enough, no bubbles nothing. Best tint job ive had.

the dealership is the last place id want to go for anything aftermarket.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went to a tint shop first and was quoted 100 more.

Ah, hell. Hope this wasn't a mistake.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Also depends on type of tint and warranty. Something like Diamond Quartz is going to run you upwards of 230 or so in most cases unless you have a "hook up"..

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, it's done...

So far I am not thrilled.

1. They drove the car "down the street" which I was not told about up front. Two trips on the meter now well below the 20MPG mark which makes me fear it was ragged on.

2. The tint has dirty smudges and smears on the inside - they do rub off with my finger so I guess this won't be a big deal once I can clean it, but...grr.

3. The car was spotless when it went in, and came back with dirty muddy spots along the backside. Probably went through a sprinkler or something going "down the street."

I won't know if I got hosed or not until the tint bubbles work themselves out, because right now it's a wavy mess (which is expected at this point I hope?)

I realize it's petty, but had I known they were going to drive my car off property I would have paid the extra $100 to the tint shop. Grumble.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Well, it's done...
I won't know if I got hosed or not until the tint bubbles work themselves out, because right now it's a wavy mess (which is expected at this point I hope?)
Others may chime in here. But IMO the tint should be perfect out the door. If you have bubbles and a "wavy mess", it is not going to correct itself. Bubbles and related issues come much later depending on the quality of the tint and workmanship.

If the dealer's service department did it, I'm thinking to take it back and talk to your sales person (not the service department) and get some remediation.

Take some pics for us?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's wavy because there's fluid under the film, still.

I think i am making a bigger deal of this than I should. We'll see where it lands after a couple of days to dry out.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
the fluid will go away. Unless your tinter puts time into it like mine did there will still be some fluid underneath. They usually work themselves out over a week or so.

as far as smudges and them ripping on your car id be pretty pissed. thats not cool. Im pretty sure that honda techs rip on my car too when i had it in for service.

Lastly though, depending on the tint (?? im not sure) i found that the wavyness never went away on my rear hatch. You can see through it just fine, but you can notice sometimes that its not quite perfect like you were looking at it straight on.

I believe this is becase you are looking a the tint from an almost perfect 90 angle at some points. I wouldnt expect the tint to be crystal clear.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
It's wavy because there's fluid under the film, still.

I think i am making a bigger deal of this than I should. We'll see where it lands after a couple of days to dry out.
Aye. I understand.
You would help out the forum if you could post some pics as it looks now and then take some a little later...

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went out to take pics and found that the waves have diminished to small round spots, so I am pretty sure all this will be fine.

Couldn't get the bubbles to show on the camera, unfortunately.

·
Registered
261 Posts
my dealership doesn't offer window tinting :( They have had too many people harrassed by the police even though they offered legal levels, so they just stopped offering it altogether.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
no thats a good thing! the bubbles will go away over time just be patient!
Whew..

When I got my Diamond Quartz tint (32) - there were really no "wavy's" or bubbles. But I left it with them for a while. Maybe they started her up, let the heater go full blast and the defrost on for a while before I picked her up... Looked perfect out the door so to speak.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mine is getting much better, though there are some white bumps that concern me.

My HOPE is that they are soap and will go away in time.
My fear is they are particles that are trapped under the film which will require a re-do.

I really want to avoid a redo - even if it's free - because I'm told the process involves garbage bags and ammonia and I hate to stink out the car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
the dealership usually outsources to other people and mark up...

I would just find a good tint shop that has an experienced tinter. I got mine done for 200 from a friend's work (i got a good price because i know people) and the people who work there were telling me that the tinter was really taking his time to make sure the tint was going to be the best.

Sure enough, no bubbles nothing. Best tint job ive had.

the dealership is the last place id want to go for anything aftermarket.

lol "i got a good price because i know people."

you got ripped homie. i paid $120 for a flawless tint job with lifetime warranty. i don't know anybody at the shop.

·
Registered
666 Posts
no thats a good thing! the bubbles will go away over time just be patient!
How long exactly should this process take?

Sorry but I also recently got tints done, and after 3 weeks I still see small bubbles in both rear side windows :angry:

I figured in the Florida sun they would work out pretty quickly.

DerekS, good luck and hope your tint works out perfectly over time!

·
Registered
376 Posts
lol "i got a good price because i know people."

you got ripped homie. i paid $120 for a flawless tint job with lifetime warranty. i don't know anybody at the shop.
Good price; but do you know what brand of tint they use? Most shops I know state their tint is lifetime warranty no matter what brand. A shop try to sell me his shop brand and state lifetime warranty but made from Korea. A brand I never heard of before for dirt cheap. Needless to say I refuse. All I know is good tint will not fade over time and the clarity is good...does not distort your vision. Llumar and Formula One are 2 good brand. But within these brand there are different quality of tint. ie titanium or ceramic. All I am saying is the cost of good materials would cost quite more than $120 including labor. Of course depending how many windows you are going to tint.

I'd ask the shop to show me the quality of his workmanship by looking at the tint job he does on his vehicle. When I see bubbles especially when the tint was applied more than a year or kindergarten cuts at edging; I walk no matter price they quote. Quality of workmanship and materials does not equate cheap in my book. Ask Bizzy or those who live in Florida and you will see tons of shop willing to tint your windows for dirt cheap but within a year or two your tint turns purple. :ionono: Heck, go to one of those fly by night shop here in SoCal and you could get your windows tint for less than $100. They will warranty tint last a lifetime but when you bring your vehicle back for warranty works shop has changed owner!!! :dunno:

I don't claim to be knowledgeable about tint but I do know not all tint are created equal.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.