Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I get to the battery from underneath the car? My bat is dead and my hood won’t open.

·
Registered
2012 Sport / manual / NSBP
174 Posts
Can't you just open the door with the key and then unlatch the hood? Or is it different with US version? My latch is mechanical.

·
Registered
2012 Sport / manual / NSBP
174 Posts
Connect positive terminal of your charger to your fuse box inside the car, you can use this fuse that I've marked for you - it's constant 12V, so it's connected to the battery (3rd column, last row):

If you have a fuse there, remove it and connect charger.

Ofc also connect negative terminal of your charger to the body, you can use door latch or something unpainted.

Unfortunately I don't know how to get to the hood latch to open it when it's broken.

·
Super Moderator
6,071 Posts
When you finally get the hood open repair /replace that latch. If you can remove the grille or work through the grille or remove all the lower panels on the engine compartment you might be able to pull the cable manually to open the hood. That is a very unusual failure the hood release is generally very sturdy.

There was one other poster who had a hood that could not be opend but he was still charged for an oil change that could not be done. I don't understand why you would not once you realized this issue did not have it repaired.

If all else fails have the car taken by flat bed to a dealer they know the car best and have methods and tools that might make this easily repairable. It will possibly be expensive but they may feel bad for you and as a courtesy get the hood open for you and then only charge for the hood release repair.

The hood release is broken.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I was the one that took it in for service thinking that they would fix the hood release or at least report it as broken. They didn’t and I assumed they fixed it or had another way of changing the oil. Weeks later I went to open the hood but it didn’t open. Covid broke and I didn’t need the car since I was working from home. Hence the dead battery. Will I be able to attach the charger to the fuse holder?

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
401 Posts
I was the one that took it in for service thinking that they would fix the hood release or at least report it as broken.
Yeah, I remember reading that.

Do you know what is broken? It is just the plastic lever, or is the cable snapped? If it's the lever, I bet you could remove enough plastic trim that you could get at the cable itself and pull it with pliers or something. I suggest you take the time to do it now since you don't need the car, instead of having the car leave you stranded when you need it. Given that they couldn't change the oil when you went to have it changed, I'm guessing it's overdue for its oil change too?

Reactions: Spdbump

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I remember reading that.

Do you know what is broken? It is just the plastic lever, or is the cable snapped? If it's the lever, I bet you could remove enough plastic trim that you could get at the cable itself and pull it with pliers or something. I suggest you take the time to do it now since you don't need the car, instead of having the car leave you stranded when you need it. Given that they couldn't change the oil when you went to have it changed, I'm guessing it's overdue for its oil change too?
Not sure. It seems normal when I pull it. I’m pretty sure that it used to click at some point in the travel of the lever. It doesn’t now.

·
Super Moderator
6,071 Posts
remove all the panels under front of car and or grille and pull cable with vice grips after unattaching handle from under dash so cable is loose .

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
401 Posts
You can easily check by pulling the lever and looking inside. The cable ends in a little ball that goes inside the lever. Here's what mine looks like. Yes, my car is a little dirty

I think that with long and skinny pliers you could even open the hood without disassembling the interior

Reactions: rjjensen

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the information. I was able to get the hood open by having my wife pull the handle while I lifted the hood. The spring on the hood release (under the hood) is broken so that will have to be replaced. It’s hard to see but the right side of the spring is broken and unattached. I also pulled the dipstick and the oil looks new.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
401 Posts
Thanks for all the information. I was able to get the hood open by having my wife pull the handle while I lifted the hood. The spring on the hood release (under the hood) is broken so that will have to be replaced. It’s hard to see but the right side of the spring is broken and unattached. I also pulled the dipstick and the oil looks new.
View attachment 62362
Very glad to hear that. I would've probably never figured that out. Also glad to see that the shop apparently did change the oil.

·
Super Moderator
6,071 Posts
My question is still how did they get the hood open and if they did why did they not notify you of the issue while the hood was open if the oil was indeed changed which apparently it was.

View attachment 62362

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Should I order this spring from the dealer or is this something a pep boys or hardware store would have?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts