Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is a question to all of you who had your car detailed in the past and present. How do you maintain your car? Do you do a weekly wash and dry only or other additional methods? Also let's say that you only wash and dry, is it safe to finish with a thorough clay bar just to get the particles out and call it a day or do you have to polish after clay baring?

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
for those that might not know:

don't start this unless you have TIME to finish it... claying a car is not a simple walk up to the car and start claying it... you have to wash the car first... i use dishwashing soap ONLY when i'm about to clay my car... regular car soap cleans the car but leaves it protected... but dishwashing soap is designed to be more aggressive, so it basically strips the car of any silicone/wax/polymers/grease/dirt/etc... i do that b/c i can start with a "bare" clean car so to speak...

after it's clean, then you can clay the car... and AFTER you clay bar the car, you MUST add something to protect the paint again now that it's nice and smooth/clean again... some ppl like to do a quick rinse/wash again to get any clay residue off before applying the wax... if you're pressed for time, then at the very least, use a quick detail/wax spray on the car B4 driving anywhere... if you don't add wax after doing this, you leave the paint unprotected... sure that's why cars have a clearcoat... but doing this too often will eventually damage the clear and fade the paint...

you should now have a clean, close to freshly painted car... hope that helps :wavey:

·
Registered
99 Posts
for those that might not know:

don't start this unless you have TIME to finish it... claying a car is not a simple walk up to the car and start claying it... you have to wash the car first... i use dishwashing soap ONLY when i'm about to clay my car... regular car soap cleans the car but leaves it protected... but dishwashing soap is designed to be more aggressive, so it basically strips the car of any silicone/wax/polymers/grease/dirt/etc... i do that b/c i can start with a "bare" clean car so to speak...

after it's clean, then you can clay the car... and AFTER you clay bar the car, you MUST add something to protect the paint again now that it's nice and smooth/clean again... some ppl like to do a quick rinse/wash again to get any clay residue off before applying the wax... if you're pressed for time, then at the very least, use a quick detail/wax spray on the car B4 driving anywhere... if you don't add wax after doing this, you leave the paint unprotected... sure that's why cars have a clearcoat... but doing this too often will eventually damage the clear and fade the paint...

you should now have a clean, close to freshly painted car... hope that helps :wavey:
x2

Perfect write up, IMHO

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh I see. Thanks Bizzybear - you're the man. So if all that you want to do is do a general clean than using a car soap should be fine until it's that time to go all out and detail the car.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I've gotten into using quick detailers, and have only washed my car once in the few months I've had it. Technically twice, cause I washed and clayed and all that the day after I got it.

Once a week I spray it and wipe it down w/ a very soft ("rethickulous") microfiber. The towel is white and all the dirt on my car just turns about 1/4 of it gray. And actually, I can wipe down over 3/4 of the car starting at the front, and the towel is still white.. It's just the rear of the car that collects the grime. I use a separate towel for the wheels, which gets quite dirty.

Before doing a routine like this, be sure to read up on it some more. The most important rule is only use the quick detailers when the car is still mostly clean. If there's any real dirt/mud on it, it needs a real wash.
I only drive my car about 4 days a week, and only 10 or 20 miles each time. It hasn't been out in the rain or any bad weather, etc. I'm basically just dusting it, but that's all it has needed.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks wicked1 for the tip. Unfortunately I'm in the northeast and we are battling some tough weather. One day it is snowing, another day it is freezing, raining, etc...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I detailed my car the day I brought it home, or the day after. I can't remember. But Bizzy hit it on the head.

My car needs a wash. I'll bet it looks good as new after that. Usually you only have to clay and re wax a couple times a year, depending on the wax you use. Carnauba wax lasts longer than synthetics. But can also be hard to get rid of swirl marks on dark cars. Even though I have a black CR-Z, I will still use Carnauba.

·
Registered
579 Posts
bizzy you mentioned dish soap to get everything off. On the front bumper, i have some waxy/white residue build up. Ive tried really hard to get it off, but it just stays there. Like it stuck. Would dish soap get this residue off? Ive used cleaner wax and it doesnt get it out. I read dish soap isnt a good idea and may be too harsh for car paint in general.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
dish soap is only harsh if you don't protect it after u use it... think of what it's made for... cleaning dirty greasy stained dishes... car soap is designed to clean the car w/o removing the wax/silicone/polymers/etc that you put on to protect it...

that's why it's not recommended to use car soap when washing your car on a normal wash... you can try it... maybe post a picture so i can give you a better suggestion :popcorn:

·
Registered
579 Posts
i dont think i had this problem untill i applied turtle wax quick detailer on it. But it seems to be only on the front bumper. Which was repainted about a month ago. Bizzy, you mentioned it would be okay after a few days to wax it. I just used the quick detailer. Didnt think it would be an issue. Anyway to get it fixed? Its not bad, but you can tell it could be more glossy/shinner then it is.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
two questions:

1 - what about using a sealant as opposed to a wax?

2- anyone know anything about "wet paint" products?

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
yes, waxing after a few days is fine... this is b/c even after something is painted, it is still "curing." paint doesn't "dry" b/c it's a chemical that gets mixed with another chemical to help it "harden." it's usually a few days b4 it's fully cured, hence why i said wait a few days :popcorn:

as for the stuff on there, i'd still need to see a picture of it b/c i gave you the only advice i can give w/o seeing it...

·
Registered
579 Posts
idk, could be me being paranoid as usual. Unless the light hits it just right, you cant see it. I cant get it to show up enough for a picture. The avg. person would think im crazy actually. Whatever, i guess ill live.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Bortch, I had the same issue with wax on plastic. Try black magic or some other shining agent. It's not always a permanent fix, but you can reapply anytime to keep it looking good. This will work.

edit: just read your post again. this works when you get wax on dark plastic like the grill.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I also noticed dimples appearing all over all of the sudden. Which i thought at first were chips so i ignored them. but after a second look, its like the paint dried and expands and u get an air pocket or something. I called the body shop guy and he asked me to bring it by tommarow. So thats what im doing. Its odd its only appearing on the bumper and no where else. Which leads me to believe its the paint job. Plus, the paint has this dull look to it now and i can see a paint drip baked into the clear coat. it looks like the blemeshes are in the clearcoat and not ontop. Or at least thats how it appears to me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.