Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
In winter when the abs system engages cause of snow, if I try to shift during the time the abs is engaged it will grind (even when only going like 1-2mph).
After doing this like 3 times I just started making myself come to complete stop before shifting back into first.
Today thou I was doing about 60mph and was coming up to some really bad train tracks and I had to brake hard before crossing them and abs engaged, I slowed all the way down to 10mph and forgot not to shift when abs is engaged and I shifted into second and it grinded. My other manual car does not grind at all when abs is engaged.
Does anybody else have this problem? Other then this, the car drives perfect.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I don't think I've had that happen... Then again, I've only had the ABS engage a handful of times in the CRZ over the last 2 years, and under emergency braking where I genuinely don't know whether I tried to shift or not. I usually ride whatever gear it's in until the engine starts to bog, then clutch in to keep it from stalling.

·
Registered
592 Posts
mechanically speaking your abs should not have anything to do with gear engagement directly.

but i can see if the ABS is interrupting wheel speed so frequently, that the abrupt slowing/speeding up of the gears inside the transmission can affect gear selection engagement. (as in frequently locking/unlocking the wheels). but something like this would be a rare occurrence for most folks i imagine.

the grinding could also just be coincidental with your ABS engaging, as coming down in speed quickly and shifting into certain gears at the wrong timing can also cause grinding. most transmissions will also grind going into 1st under most circumstances. generally you want to shift into 1st at a stop, or very slow crawl. anything faster that that you may want to blip the throttle in neutral (off the clutch) before slipping in 1st.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts