Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening
Just found this page. I have a 2011 crz 6speed MT
For the last few weeks I've been getting a whining sound on accelerating and it been getting slowly worse
I took to my local garage who has said its the gearbox and probably needs a new one.

It changes gears fine and everything seems OK apart.from sound so I was just wondering what I could do to prevent the big bill

I've been looking at transmission oil repair fluids and wondering if that may help

Any help would be great please as I really don't need this.bill at the moment

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I agree drain and fill with new fluid and see what happens.

A bad shaft bearing in the trans can cause a whine for example but that wouldn't mean needing an entirely new transmission. It wouldn't be cheap or easy labor either though.

That said I bought a used Honda once that had the transmission serviced by a Honda dealership; previous owner supplied the paperwork, one of the shaft bearings was replaced and yet it still had a noticeable whine which was not normal as I had owned a couple of the same exact model and trim car. Nevertheless drove it for thousands of miles without issue (eventually did replace the trans but not because of that bearing, went to a 4.7 final drive euro-market transmission from the same model).

·
Administrator
7,518 Posts
There are other sources of Honda Fluid other than the dealer just needs to be the Honda Specified Fluid.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Aisin makes a Honda MTF compatible fluid. Might even be the fluid you get from Honda. I can't confirm that and I have only used Honda MTF from the dealer in my vast collection of Honda's with manual gear boxes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The best would be Honda MTF-3 fluid.
In the UK maintenance fluids and parts can be sourced from Cox motor parts or Tegiwa Imports:

·
Administrator
7,518 Posts
YES and it could not hurt. Many here have had amazing results with changing the fluid. It all depends on what has happened and how often it was done previously. It is a standard maintenance item that should be done anyway and less expensive than a new transmission. If it fixes it then that is a solution, if it does not then you need to get a second opinion. Change it and let us know in your situation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
how many miles has it done?
transmission fluid should have been changed at 8 years/75k mi according to the service manual so it would be a good idea to get it done anyway if not already done

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's done 105k miles and I've had it since 70k and I haven't changed it myself and not sure when or if it was changed by previous owners

Has anyone got a easy to follow guide to changing the transmission fluid

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted throw in my two cents. What you describe for a manual to me sounds like the throw out bearing in the transmission. To help you confirm is the sound can happen with or without the clutch engaged. You don’t seem to have any shifting issues and the car drives normally so my guess is the bad throw out bearing. I have seen this happen a lot. If this is the case changing the fluid will not help as the throw out bearing is not inside your transmission housing but in the transfer case where your clutch is. Hopefully this help you out and can have someone take a look at it to confirm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has anyone got a easy to follow guide to changing the transmission fluid
If you search the forum there's usually a guide for maintenance procedures, among other things.

I agree with @Peweebp6 's suggestion. I was actually thinking along the lines of a wheel bearing at first.
Though changing the trans fluid would not hurt as it should have been done as part of maintenance anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an update

I've changed the transmission oil and problem still there and I can hear the noise when parked up when clutch is up. When I dip the clutch it goes away

Whats ur thoughts 🤔

·
Registered
159 Posts
$100 in parts, probably 6 hours in labor for R&R and the actual swapping of the bearings. The problem will be finding someone to do it. Most shops besides Honda won't touch a hybrid car and Honda won't typically do internal transmission work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts