Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone make on for this car? It'd be nice to have a small guage pod where the dash storage is.

If not, I think I may go with individual mounts and mount them right below that strip of chrome over the cup holders. I held an old guage up to it last night and low and behold you could fit 4 down there while retaining the cup holder functionality.

Can a vendor get a pod made for use down there? Like remove the chrome mold there and replace it with a low profile panel?

I really want an oil pressure, water temp and EGT and possibly oil temp guages before I start tuning. If you're on top of your engine, you can tell roughly what the oil temp is by the oil pressure, but that may not be enough comfort for some.

Thanks!

· Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that would be a cool spot for it Shatner... the Mugen one is ricey to me... and i would never get it...

i think it'd be cool to find a Navi system that could integrate those gauges like on the GT-R... that would be the best option IMO...
I'd rather have a molded pod for right above the cupholders. I'll have to see the pod Mugen puts out. Anyone have a pic?

A navi system with it would be cool, but I don't think I'd be comfortable with "alpine" or "kenwood" guages for vital engine parts. Not to mention I have a factory Nav and it's not being modified. lol

Is there a fiberglass/carbon fiber worker on the boards? Would you be interested in this project?

· Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's not too bad. I hope they make one properly for the LHD models, though. :lol:

I had a very similar pod in my STi. It replaced the clock. That car looked damn good with some red backlit number colormatched (just like factory, even the 'sweep' at start up) guages in it, anyway.

· Registered
2,147 Posts
IMO, those only look acceptable in a performance car. Just seems wrong for the Z. I do agree that a water temp gauge would be nice and maybe an oil pressure might be kind of useful.

· Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IMO, those only look acceptable in a performance car. Just seems wrong for the Z. I do agree that a water temp gauge would be nice and maybe an oil pressure might be kind of useful.
Both would be extremely useful. The oil pressure light doesn't come on until there's no pressure, which is too late already. I imagine it's the same for the temperature lights. Not quite the gravity of oil starvation, but still harmful.

I just want the peace of mind before I start modding and am looking for a non ricer option. So far it's looking like individual brackets. I really hope a vendor can make something happen.

· Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
temp would be cool to look at to know you're in optimal operating temps... as for the oil gauge... my Si didn't have one either and even tho i only lightly modded it, i didn't have any issues...
I agree, but better safe than sorry. If an engine is deprived of oil pressure for even a short amount of time you can burn parts up. I've seen it first hand and for me, it's a cheap form of insurance.

I know it's not necessary with light mods, but once there's a built n/a motor or a turbo motor done it's essential. I like to 'prep' for mods. And guages are a big part of that prep. There's no coolant temp, which I have no clue why they left out. So I'll be getting one of those, EGT and oil pressure. Like I said, cheap insurance.

And I really prefer them out of sight. I try not to draw any more attention than this car already gets.

· Premium Member
5,332 Posts
good points on the prep... as for oil being low... it might be harder to tell on this car... but on the Si, you can definitely tell if/when the oil is low b/c :vtec: wouldn't kick in b/c of the low oil pressure... the only time the ecu prevented vtec from engaging is when the engine is cold... so if your engine was warm and it didn't engage, then you knew you had low oil... i always recommend checking your oil to be sure there's some in there...

· Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
good points on the prep... as for oil being low... it might be harder to tell on this car... but on the Si, you can definitely tell if/when the oil is low b/c :vtec: wouldn't kick in b/c of the low oil pressure... the only time the ecu prevented vtec from engaging is when the engine is cold... so if your engine was warm and it didn't engage, then you knew you had low oil... i always recommend checking your oil to be sure there's some in there...
Good point on the engine being cold and no Vtec. I remeber that from driving my friend's '98(?) Civic Si- The one before the Si hatch. That car was fun.

But yeah, I'm going the stealth installed guage route, just to be safe.

· Registered
68 Posts
Would you be better off getting a power FC and then just a separate oil temp pod? Then you can go to a tuner, make a few maps on the dyno, like eco/norm/sport and save them onto the FC for quick switch over later. It also has vtec control and rpm limit so you can play with them also. I will be going this way more than likely.

· Registered
675 Posts
Gauges, Shatster, gauges.

Sorry, it's painful even for a Russian like me.

An honestly, tuning a CVT CR-Z? Maybe go all out if you want to make a track / weekend car out of it, but don't do it to the daily driver.

· Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't know much about the Power FC. And honestly, I'm waiting to see what Hondata is doing.

Gauges, Shatster, gauges.

Sorry, it's painful even for a Russian like me.

An honestly, tuning a CVT CR-Z? Maybe go all out if you want to make a track / weekend car out of it, but don't do it to the daily driver.
Sorry for the slip up on the spelling. :rolleyes: Guage is actually correct spelling in different context. You might not know because your Russian. Am I correct in thinking that English is a second language? If so, I must say that it's very good and I'd never have guessed it with your other posts.

And(;)) honestly, it's my damn car. What's it matter to you what I'm doing, as long as it doesn't give the CR-Z community a bad/ricer image.

They're gauges, for **** sake. I like to know what's happening in my engine. I'm looking at simple mods. Intake/exaust/tune. And who gives a crap what transmission it is. I have several conditions that cause extreme pain all over my body. I've driven 5spd/6spd all my life. I wanted an automatic to give my shoulder, whith Bursitis, a break.

Are you seriously jumping on me for wanting to mod my car? you do realize a lot of people here have already done mods. I haven't done any.

· Registered
675 Posts
Never seen the word "guage" except when butchered on the various car forums. English = 3rd (almost 4th) language for me, so had to check and still didn't find it anywhere. Let me know where you saw it - just interesting what I missed.

As far as modding your car goes - of course it's your car and you can do whatever the hell you want with it and you don't need to explain your transmission choices to me. The reason I am advocating leaving your daily driver alone is primarily because tuning it is useless from the practical standpoint. It's a topic for a much bigger discussion, though.

I do have an issue with people who "tune" their car, then "race" around town and jack up my insurance to the extent that it's cheaper for me to sell the car and move on (e.g. Civic insurance is much higher than Accord insurance, even though Accords are more expensive vehicles). Same goes for people who "tune" the car and then claim warranty repairs at the dealer and jack up the cost of my next car. It probably doesn't apply to you, but you see where I'm coming from.

If you are competitive and feel the need to race - compete in autocross without any mods and become a better driver in the process - why waste money on crappy filters and loud mufflers when you can buy a set of tires or pay for a good performance driving school?

· Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Never seen the word "guage" except when butchered on the various car forums. English = 3rd (almost 4th) language for me, so had to check and still didn't find it anywhere. Let me know where you saw it - just interesting what I missed.

As far as modding your car goes - of course it's your car and you can do whatever the hell you want with it and you don't need to explain your transmission choices to me. The reason I am advocating leaving your daily driver alone is primarily because tuning it is useless from the practical standpoint. It's a topic for a much bigger discussion, though.

I do have an issue with people who "tune" their car, then "race" around town and jack up my insurance to the extent that it's cheaper for me to sell the car and move on (e.g. Civic insurance is much higher than Accord insurance, even though Accords are more expensive vehicles). Same goes for people who "tune" the car and then claim warranty repairs at the dealer and jack up the cost of my next car. It probably doesn't apply to you, but you see where I'm coming from.

If you are competitive and feel the need to race - compete in autocross without any mods and become a better driver in the process - why waste money on crappy filters and loud mufflers when you can buy a set of tires or pay for a good performance driving school?
I applaud you on learning that many languages. I speak spanish fluently and that alone was tough to learn. Seriously, bravo!

12 guage shotgun is an example. (I even spell checked)

I don't street race. If you search, you'll see that I am extremely against it. I take my car, whether DD or my Camaro to track days, auto X and with the Camaro mostly, the 1/4 mile. I don't street race. In fact, I'm an advocate of "take it to the track". I also don't try to scam a warranty repair. I really HATE seeing threads like that. I'm aware that I have to pay to play and that stuff breaks. And I've raced a lot in stock class Auto X for a while with my Lightning, STi and WRX and am a fine driver. I'm not a brodawg flatbiller trying to start streetlight races. I just want a little more pep so when I go to a track it's not boring. The car may not be competitive, but let's be honest. The CR-Z is slow.

Where did I say I was buying a crappy filter or a loud exhaust? No where. That's why I have no mods on my car at the moment. Everything is way too expensive or just crap. In the mean time, there are things to do before any engine mods, imo. Tires are one, gauges are another. Springs/coilovers help. So do better brake pads.

You came off as lecturing me. I'm fully aware of everything you've said. I've been in motorsports for half of my life.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.