Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not lying, exaggerating nothing but i felt and heard a vtec crossover on my way to work today.

I havent felt one or even heard one yet but today i had to pass a guy and in 3rd to the floor from maybe 3k all the way to about 6200. around that 5800 mark i felt the car just pull harder and there was a sound change.

maybe it was cold (car was warm tho it was around the end of my trip) or something but im dead serious, and also pretty excited to hear it!

·
Registered
658 Posts
really? hmmmm, it doesn't look like on any dyno graphs i've seen that there is a noticeable crossover.. maybe im mistaken. i havent pushed my car yet all that much to notice anything considering im still breaking her in.

you didn't accidentally slip and hit the sport button by accident when you were signaling to switch lanes did you? hahah jk jk :pP:

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
lol. something i noticed with mine is that I sometimes press the gas all the way in and the car has poor acceleration, but if i shift to neutral and back to the same gear and punch the gas all the way again then it kicks in with good acceleration. it's really weird.

it's like if the computer is not letting me accelerate until i reset it to neutral or downshift. if i slow down and re-accelerate in the same gear it won't let me accelerate properly even though my RPMs are good and not struggling.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I believe that VTEC engages at around 3200rpm in our cars, and it is pretty noticable if you are expecting it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Im not lying, exaggerating nothing but i felt and heard a vtec crossover on my way to work today.

I havent felt one or even heard one yet but today i had to pass a guy and in 3rd to the floor from maybe 3k all the way to about 6200. around that 5800 mark i felt the car just pull harder and there was a sound change.

maybe it was cold (car was warm tho it was around the end of my trip) or something but im dead serious, and also pretty excited to hear it!
Ok young bucks , school the old man ...what is a vtech crossover? Fill me in

·
Registered
672 Posts
lol i thought vtech sound was when the car is near the red line while driving lololol fail.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
V-TEC (there is no H) this is why everyone is laughing because the phone manufacturer has the H lol.

usually it's around 5500 RPM and it makes the valves open more or open longer or something like that.. the result is a throatier and louder sound with a small boost of power.

·
Registered
320 Posts
lol. something i noticed with mine is that I sometimes press the gas all the way in and the car has poor acceleration, but if i shift to neutral and back to the same gear and punch the gas all the way again then it kicks in with good acceleration. it's really weird.
it's like if the computer is not letting me accelerate until i reset it to neutral or downshift. if i slow down and re-accelerate in the same gear it won't let me accelerate properly even though my RPMs are good and not struggling.
Probably just characteristic of the drive-by-wire system along with the vehicle stability assist kicking in, although you'd see that VSA light flash on most often when it comes on. I turn off the traction control/VSA allmost every time I start the car to avoid the symptoms you describe, because otherwise I punch it or do a hard shift to second squawking the tires and it instantly thinks im losing traction and backs off on the throttle. It is strange not having a direct connection to the throttle body through the pedal.
Could be something else too I don't know, it just sounds similar.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Probably just characteristic of the drive-by-wire system along with the vehicle stability assist kicking in, although you'd see that VSA light flash on most often when it comes on. I turn off the traction control/VSA allmost every time I start the car to avoid the symptoms you describe, because otherwise I punch it or do a hard shift to second squawking the tires and it instantly thinks im losing traction and backs off on the throttle. It is strange not having a direct connection to the throttle body through the pedal.
Could be something else too I don't know, it just sounds similar.
This. I do the same. Just turn off VSA and it goes away :)

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
VSA did not trigger. VSA completely cuts gas as for this situations the gas was going but just the RPM would climb VEEEEERY slowly like if not enough gas was reaching the engine even though my foot was to the floor.

the only time my VSA kicks in is Sport mode at a red light and now i always switch VSA off when i switch to sport mode at red lights lol.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I wonder if the battery level was so low that you didn't have IMA assist to begin with and then the computer realized what you were doing and IMA decided to help.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
nop my battery is always at 5-6 out of 8

i also noticed the same thing with driving and switching modes. say im driving in Normal mode and hit the Sport button while pushing more on the gas. there's actually NO increase in acceleration unless i completely let go of the gas and then press again.

i dunno it's like if the gas pedal has to reset in order to give you proper acceleration.

·
Registered
658 Posts
i've changed modes while accelerating and felt the differences in throttle input, while still maintaining the same throttle pressure. hmmmmm, thats weird your car does that. have you taken it to honda at all to get it checked?

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
i've changed modes while accelerating and felt the differences in throttle input, while still maintaining the same throttle pressure.
Ditto. Happens each day as I head up the hill out of work and go from ECON to Normal.

To Ludercrz- I was responding to TinTin, sorry.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.