Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a CRZ, but have not been able to get a good handle on what the real world fuel economy for the 6-speed transmission is in the eco mode. My guess from reading the posts is that for a conservative, but not hypermiling driver, low to mid 40s would be about right. Any real experience with this out there? I should say that I will have fun with the car in performance mode, but there are times for that, and times for watching the fuel gauge. Lest you think me a stick-in-the-mud, I generally get the sporty driving out of my system driving my e-type Jaguar.
Ron

·
Registered
674 Posts
Everyone's commute is different, everyone's driving style is different, but it looks like if you watch the EcoAssist prompts for up/down shifting and let the Eco mode throttle delay do its job, you can get the 40s for an average type scenario. Eco mode is perfectly bearable.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Decided that this week I would "let it all hang out". Sport all week with spirited shifting like a sport car. Full throttle runs up the steepest local hills at ....well lets just say over the speed limit of 70 mph. Computer is showing 33 mpg and I'm having a blast. If you can drive this thing like a go kart racer and still get 33 mpg grandma mode has to return close to 40 (I like taikahn am unable genetically to drive in eco mode more than about 12 miles!). I've had the car for about a month now and have 3/4 of the second tank of gas left (90 miles on trip A).

·
Registered
693 Posts
I assume that the OP is referencing the EPA rating for the 6 speed getting less fuel economy than the CVT. Base on the posts here on the forum I do not think it is the case, but we need to do a survey to see if the manuals or CVT actually get better fuel economy in the real world.

On the Honda fit, the automatic is EPA rated at 1-2 mpg more than the 5 speed manual, but it is well documented that the 5 speed manuals typically get 2-4 more MPGs than the automatics.

Our fuel economy survey says that most CRZ drivers (64%) achieve between 34 and 40 MPG with a select group (25%) getting better than 40 MPG this and a small group (11%) getting a bit less than 34MPG.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Normal mode is what you will be in most of the time -- eco is a golf cart mode.
Eco mode is designed for hypermilers who know that small amounts of throttle in certain conditions can help maintain speed without using much fuel.

The main difference between the modes is that if you push the throttle pedal down 1/4 of the way, in eco mode you only get about 10% throttle, In sport mode, when you push the throttle pedal down 1/4 of the way you are actually at more than 1/2 throttle and you are at full throttle with the pedal pushed only 3/4 of the way.

When the pedal is pushed to the floor in any mode, you will get the same full throttle acceleration.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks very much for the information. I guess I'm a bit dumbfounded that this small, aerodynamic car can't get better fuel economy with the average driver than my wife's Camry hybrid. Seems like it should do 50+ without too much coaxing. Definitely more pizzazz than the Toyota, though.
Happy driving.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
I actually find Eco mode useful in heavy traffic where it's sorta crawling.

-Hoi
Yep, If environmentals and accessories (AC, Stereo, Lights etc) are not needed, eco mode can do a lot for the mileage when crawling for a certain amount of time. If in the right hand land on the freeway and content at the speed limit, eco mode can do a lot for you. Of course some of the hypermiling tactics can do a great deal for you.

That is the great thing about this little car. Gives you a choice. Sport and go. Eco and save.

R/Scott

·
Registered
693 Posts
Thanks very much for the information. I guess I'm a bit dumbfounded that this small, aerodynamic car can't get better fuel economy with the average driver than my wife's Camry hybrid. Seems like it should do 50+ without too much coaxing. Definitely more pizzazz than the Toyota, though.
Happy driving.
Your wife's Camry hybrid has twice the battery capacity and an electric motor with three times the power of hybrid system in the CRZ. As a result, your wife's Camry hybrid costs about $4900 more than the non-hybrid Camry. (An amount that you will never fully recover in fuel cost savings)

The hybrid premium of the CRZ is only about $1790. If Honda had designed the CRZ with a system similar to the one used on the Prius, Camry and Ford Fusion it would have likely been about $3000 more expensive (and 250 pounds heavier). And such a CRZ would probably get 50 mpg or more.

But again, even at 50 mpg instead of 36 mpg, it would take 140,000 miles of driving to save the additional $3000 of purchase price in fuel cost savings. Point being that all hybrids are not equal in their hybrid approach, complexity and cost. It is always a trade off.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think I agree that the economy is not outstanding, First 200 miles, and I'm not getting any trips showing about about 45 MPG(UK). Mode doesn't have too much affect on my driving style except for it's impact on AutoStop. Haven't done any long trips yet though, and expect to see some improvements as I get more used to the optimal conditions for any scenario.
Edit: At the moment, I see similar economy to my 1.3 Smart forfour (maybe 5% better, never kept accurate records)

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have a feeling that once you set cruise, the mode that the car is in doesn't matter. The biggest MPG difference comes when you let the car modulate throttle in Eco. Yes, it feels sluggish, but that's the purpose - you apply throttle, but the car does it a lot slower and this saves gas. Auto-stop and other little things are different in Eco, but the main thing is throttle modulation (except for WOT). So once the throttle position is set, switching modes is more of a placebo.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a feeling that once you set cruise, the mode that the car is in doesn't matter. The biggest MPG difference comes when you let the car modulate throttle in Eco. Yes, it feels sluggish, but that's the purpose - you apply throttle, but the car does it a lot slower and this saves gas. Auto-stop and other little things are different in Eco, but the main thing is throttle modulation (except for WOT). So once the throttle position is set, switching modes is more of a placebo.
I agree with your comment on the best use for Eco being at all times rather than at cruising. However, changing the mode in cruise does affect how the car runs. In Eco the IMA is used a lot more readily than in normal. Granted it's probably negligible gains in MPG...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am at 36 average. I have a 1k foot climb to get to my house and it kills my average. On the road doung some 4 hour trips U am getting low 40s.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.