Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fuel gauge on my car is buggy. I have it configured to reset the trip meter A when refueling.

Here is what happened.

1) Ran the car down to 0 miles on the range meter, the fuel gauge was zero bars, drove 5 miles past that warning.
2) Parked the car for a day.
3) The next day, put 3+ gallons in the tank (didn't want to push my luck) . Didn't start the car that day, open/unlock the door or put the key in.
4) The next day, started car, fuel tank still shows as 100% empty, range as zero, fuel warning still on. Drove about 30 miles today.

Kinda strange, will fill up 100% today.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Fuel gauges are notoriously non-linear regardless whether it is a chevy, toyota or honda.

You fill up the tank and when it gets below half, the rate it goes down increases.

They purposely design gauges to have a bit of reserve left at empty for the psychology of filling it before it gets empty. Fuel injection systems are not very tolerant of sucking crud up from the bottom of a tank. Lot of people I know have had problems with their vehicles after running their tanks dry.

Case in point: the second time I filled my car, I waited till I had less than five miles left on the range. I put 11.15 gallons in the car. My tundra was supposed to be a 21 gallon tank. I can't count the times that I put almost 24 gallons in it.

If you would of filled up your car that night, I am sure you would of put more than I put in my tank.

YMMV <shrugs>

·
Registered
418 Posts
per the manual, the gas light comes on with the fuel is low (approx 1.8 gallons/6.9 ltrs remaining). putting 3 gallons in a completely empty tank might not be enough for the sensor in the tank to register.

i have ran mine until the light came on and filled up, it re-set everything. i have also filled up at 1/2 tank and it re-set everything. so i am guessing your 3 gallons didn't move the sensor in the tank enough to make an impact. just my .02 worth.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I pulled into the gas station with 18 miles left in the tank according to the gauge. The car only took 9.1 gallons. I was averaging 42.2 MPG on that tank.

I don't get it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I pulled into the gas station with 18 miles left in the tank according to the gauge. The car only took 9.1 gallons. I was averaging 42.2 MPG on that tank.

I don't get it.
again, you filled up, the OP only put in 3 gallons. there might be a difference due to the in the volume of fluid put in tank.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Quite common to see this if you only put a relatively small amount in - had it a few times on loan or hire cars where I only put enough in to get where I needed to go and the gauge stayed in the red

·
Registered
281 Posts

I don't get it.
The range/gauge are on the cautious side. I've been down to single figures range but only took 36litres to fill (and I mean full to the top).
Most cars are like that - my last car, which I "knew" very well, could go 70 miles beyond zero range.
The manufacturers would much rather have you sweating buckets when you actually have quite a bit of fuel in the tank, than have it run out still showing 1 mile left!

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
go marlins3, you can fit almost another gallon in the after the auto click off pump handle stops, just like a motorbike's tank.
Yeah, I have done that twice.

It 's just odd that the math didn't work out for me. If I am getting 42.2 MPG on that tank and I only had 18 miles left of fuel, that would mean I have 0.42 gallons left in the tank. The tank holds 10.6 gallons so I should have needed 10.18 gallons, but it only took 9.2. I either had A LOT more miles left in my tank or the MPG was way off.

·
Registered
208 Posts
either had A LOT more miles left in my tank
That'll be the one. It's quite likely that the gauge self-calibrates, and until its seen a low value, it will always over read. I may see how far i can push mine at the end of my current tank (with some spare petrol in the car!) I am filling almost a gallon short of what i anticipate at the moment (8 tanks all about 33-34.5 litres)

·
Registered
99 Posts
The custom menu has a setting in the meter section (I think?) that will reset Trip A to zero on refueling. I just did that for the first time on this tankful.

Note to gomarlins3 ... the ADVERTISED capacity of the tank is 10.1 gallons. It is not the true capacity which is larger. There is an inherent reserve built in along with filler tube space that increases the capacity.

·
Registered
281 Posts
the fuel level going up a certain amount..
The fuel level has to change by a significant amount for the car to know you've filled-up. Like I said earlier, a lot of cars do this.
On my previous motor you could put the trip-computer into a diagnostic mode and see the measured fuel level in real-time, as opposed to the averaged-out numbers it normally showed on the trip (and the gauge level).
The difference in "measured" level between facing slightly uphill and slightly downhill was about 1/3rd of a tank (20 litres). The displayed range, fuel level etc. do not change quickly to reflect this as the results would be almost meaningless.
Fuel moves around pretty good in the tank, so the measured level is all over the place as you go round corners, uphill, downhill, accelerate, brake etc. so quite a bit of calculating goes on (over time) to arrive at what the computer thinks is the real level.
The only time it reacts quickly is when the level changes significantly (like maybe half a tank) and it "knows" you've put fuel in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.