Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I took delivery back in January, I've spent most of my driving time in sport mode, avging around 30 mpg city.

Have recently started driving normal and econ mode around town, mpg up to 37 range -- amazing difference.

PS -- have worked for Ferrari, Maserati, Jag and others, have rarely experienced a sport mode button that makes such a big difference in acceleration...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love the sport mode and the power you get from it. I changed the IMA so that the ECON mode automatically comes on when I start the car. I just filled up and based on the gas and mileage from the receipt, I averaged 47.8. The IMA showed my average as 48.4. This was the first week I had to use the a/c here in Florida and it did hurt my mileage.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The two modes are significantly different. I have to switch back and forth often other wise I look like a newbie at driving a stick.
same here, I usually keep in ECON most of the time, to squeeze the most out of it, but I switch to SPORT when i m on the highway entry ramp, need the power to speed up, always love the feels even without changing the pressure on the gas pedal, but as soon as the SPORT kicks in, the car seems awake from its sleepy mode. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm getting 43.5 in combination driving. My high was 47, my low was 39.8 (my first tank of gas).
When I get on the freeway and stabilize my speed I push the ECON button. The only annoying thing is that the cruise control will vary 3 mph in ECON, whilst in NORMAL it is very steady. I use the SPORT button somewhat sparingly for passing or on-ramp acceleration.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Im on my 2nd tank and combined highway and city is floating between 40 and 43. Im luv'n it!!! I drive on Econ most of the time but i've been playing with sport and paddle shifting. I luv driving this car.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I love the sport mode and the power you get from it. I changed the IMA so that the ECON mode automatically comes on when I start the car. I just filled up and based on the gas and mileage from the receipt, I averaged 47.8. The IMA showed my average as 48.4. This was the first week I had to use the a/c here in Florida and it did hurt my mileage.
How did you change it so that it's in ECON by default?

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I mainly drive in around town in Normal, to get a little pep starting off at a stop sign, and the Econ on the Highway.

This last fill up I am trying to leave it in Econ. I have noticed a bit of difference in MPG's on what the weather is! We had 70 to 80's last week and then this weekend 50's! Even in Econ mode I'm only getting 38 to 39mpg. Was expecting a little more.
When it was still 80 out i was getting 45mpg in Econ!
Has anyone else had this experience?

JC

·
Registered
61 Posts
40 - 42 so far. I go the slightly longer, lower speed, more stops route to work in Econ and my shorter, faster route in normal / sport. Both are a hoot. Sort of interesting to have enough feedback to make that kind of difference.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm slowly going up.

I've not really been driving more efficiently but my current tank is averaging about 38.5.
I'd guess at several reasons for this.

1) your personal adjustment over time; to the car and/or route -- hybrids have a knack for changing the way people think about driving, therefore changing habits and how they view their route and respond
2) it is getting warmer
3) engine break in ... iirc, on greenhybrid/cleanmpg, I remember most people talk about a slow, steady improvement to efficiency/power of their engine up to and sometimes past 20k miles.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have noticed a bit of difference in MPG's on what the weather is! We had 70 to 80's last week and then this weekend 50's! Even in Econ mode I'm only getting 38 to 39mpg. Was expecting a little more.
When it was still 80 out i was getting 45mpg in Econ!
Has anyone else had this experience?

JC
Yup! Those cold mornings really hurt the gas mileage! Without doing anything differently we've noticed significant differences in mileage just based on the temperature. If you look at my Fuelly, you can see how the average MPGs dropped Dec-April, and is just starting to go back up in May.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.