Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
I don't want my transmission all over I-84 thanks!
Was there something you researched or read about the Z's CVT and increased HP/Torque above and beyond stock?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Well hks did make over 300hp on no more than an upgraded clutch. That alone tells you your tranny will be just fine :) and I think Bisi only dropped a clutch in there too and he's at 533 so idk how your tranny will end up all over I-84, unless u take it off your car and physically throw it onto 84 lol. Your more likely to throw a rod if you push the stock interrnals too much.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
^ the CVT is a different beast altogether. In general Honda autos dont like lots of power over stock. the CVT is an interesting trans to consider boosting. I wouldnt run anything high boost through the CVT for fear of breaking it either. MT is the way to go if youre looking to make power for sure.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
You have a point! But I'm sure cvt could handle a few pounds of pressure per square inch :)
Yea, I'm not talking about 300.. After the P2R (seems to be working as advertised), maybe a CAI. Kind of how would you say "Happy to Glad" performance changes to make it a little more fun in the sport mode. Optimistically 20 additional HP and maybe 30 on the torque. I'm thinking the CVT could handle that in daily driving = not punishing it on a track or anything..

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Was there something you researched or read about the Z's CVT and increased HP/Torque above and beyond stock?
Not sure. I don't think we've seen any builds on the the CVT cars yet so I'd rather be safe than sorry. Honda has had a CVT since 2003 in Jazz (Fit) 1.5L cars. Websites I could read or translate seem to indicate some debate on how much the CVT could handle. Busted transmissions before reaching 180 hp. I assume we have the same unit in our cars, Honda likes to recycle and re-use engines/etc..

I did check around the web when I first ordered the car, Honda has had a 7-speed selectable

Well hks did make over 300hp on no more than an upgraded clutch. That alone tells you your tranny will be just fine and I think Bisi only dropped a clutch in there too and he's at 533 so idk how your tranny will end up all over I-84, unless u take it off your car and physically throw it onto 84 lol. Your more likely to throw a rod if you push the stock interrnals too much.
Bismoto and HKS both build off a 6-speed manual car no?

I'm not sure I trust the CVT with any substantial power increase or at least I don't feel like being a lab rat :dunno:

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Scotty get the BLF CAI :) works well for me.
Yepper, have been eye'n it. On the short list..

GoHuskies, sorry about hijacking this thing, but looks like you have it sold and those welds look pretty good on it.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
when the transaction is done (everything delivered etc) make sure you use the iTrader! it makes the forum better as a whole if we can see who is a "trusted" buyer / seller

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.