Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone is interested in buying my door kit, it's still on the car, and I will uninstall and ship to any Continental USA location within two weeks of sale.

Price: $600.00 (+ shipping)
Contents: Hinges, upgraded hardware, struts, and additional fabricated trim pieces. Will provide installation pics upon buyer's request.
Private Message me, if interested.

·
Registered
76 Posts
These are amazing, I have had them on different cars in the past, definitely a head turner :)

Reactions: litz

·
CR-Z Forum Librarian
7,161 Posts
I never liked the idea of these, until I saw litz’s in person.
They are actually really nice. And practical.
Definitely unique. Someone is going to get a super cool mod for a heck of a deal.

I’ve not been on the board much lately. @litz , why are these up for sale?

Reactions: Shamarskii

·
Premium Member
6,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Canadian Kevin! Thanks for the thumbs up on the Lambos.

I've had them for almost three years, but just put them on to test them out for the Summer, and then maybe swap back to OEM over the Winter, so I've gotten a couple extra years of use out of them. I couldn't find anyone making them in the USA, so I found a guy in Indonesia selling them via facebook ad. (I think shipping cost almost as much as the product itself, lol.) Anyhow, I was doing all kinds of mods back then, and some people were commenting about how they'd like to have them, but didn't want to be the "first" to get them, especially from an unfamiliar source, so I figured to see them on a CR-Z, I'd have to be the guinea pig, and just do them for myself.

There were some issues I found at the time of installation, and had to text the seller about installation, which was not exactly plug and play. :) Since he didn't speak English, the communication was worse than comical, so I made some modifications to improve the design/install, and I've been happy with them, since I "upgraded" the kit.

I might as well list the specific upgrades here, while I'm at it:
1) There was not a hinge adjustment, as the bolt holes were drilled the same size as the bolts. I had to drill oversize holes, as in most door hinges, to allow for adjustment, and that solved that problem.
2) The bolts supplied with the kit were or low-grade quality, so I bought some new bolts (grade 8, with better/bigger bolt head design.)
3) The nuts supplied for the strut mounting were lame too, so I bought some nylock nuts, so they would hold better with lighter torque.
4) The nut & bolt for the upper mount of the strut was a bit unhandy, so I welded the bolt to the back side of the hinge arm, because you just couldn't get a wrench behind there to keep it from rotating as you tightened the outer nut.
5) Made some covers, panels, and plugs to give everything a finished look.
6) The height adjustment bolt was just a large allen head set screw, which could not be accessed unless you removed the fenders just to adjust the door-to-striker position. Massive fail in the design, so I replaced the set screw with a bolt that you could easily (easily enough,) adjust by just opening the door and reaching your hand into the fender opening and hand-turning the adjustment bolt.

I hope all is well up there in Canada, and maybe I'll get to cross the border for another car meet this Summer. Those Lambo doors were loved by some of the folks at the Niagara meet (but no haters--they kept silent, eh?) so I will be sad to take them off, but happy to see them on someone else's car, for sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts