Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CRZ EX w/ Nav
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front lower control arms balljoints are practically destroyed so I have 2 new whole control arms ready to install.

Do I need to take it to a shop to replace these or can I replace these myself? I know I'll need an alignment after but if I can save money id rather install these myself. Couldnt find a definite answer to this anywhere on the forum and I've never replaced a control arm like the CRZs before.

·
Registered
2011 CRZ EX w/ Nav
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! Ive been looking for just a yes or no answer and couldnt find one anywhere lol Would you by chance know where to find torque specs for the bolts?

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
Thank you! Ive been looking for just a yes or no answer and couldnt find one anywhere lol Would you by chance know where to find torque specs for the bolts?
Follow this link for a download so the service manual:

Follow instructions, and don't let your hubs swing outwards, for the axels will pull away and out from their seats. Then you'll be asking how to get your axels back in, lol--(really.)

·
Registered
2011 CRZ EX w/ Nav
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Follow this link for a download so the service manual:

Follow instructions, and don't let your hubs swing outwards, for the axels will pull away and out from their seats. Then you'll be asking how to get your axels back in, lol--(really.)
Appreciate it! When I installed my springs I let the hub fall because I didnt know about that problem and I had to get it the axle replaced cause out of my frustration from not being able to put it back in after hours, I ripped the boot lol cost me a good chunk of change from the dealer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
These control arms are dang expensive! i had to do both on mine when i safetied it ( worn inner bushings are none replaceable ) cost almost 200$ a side, i was able to get a used set for much cheaper but i would have done new if they weren't so pricey.

·
Registered
2011 CRZ EX w/ Nav
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These control arms are dang expensive! i had to do both on mine when i safetied it ( worn inner bushings are none replaceable ) cost almost 200$ a side, i was able to get a used set for much cheaper but i would have done new if they weren't so pricey.
They are! Its crazy, I spent $300.00 for the front 2 though.

·
Super Moderator
7,355 Posts
Rock Auto (RockAuto) has AC Delco ones for less
ACDELCO 45D10263 {#19358229} Professional; Complete Arm w/ Ball Joint Info Front Left Lower $122.79
ACDELCO 45D10264 {#19358230} Professional; Complete Arm w/ Ball Joint Info Front Right Lower $122.79

·
Registered
1,751 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts

That is no longer the case.
So this is a poly replacement for the existing rear most bushing? im assuming the rear bushing would have to be cut off as i dont see a way to remove it without. i still have my old ones maybe i can do something with them with these.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
So this is a poly replacement for the existing rear most bushing? im assuming the rear bushing would have to be cut off as i dont see a way to remove it without. i still have my old ones maybe i can do something with them with these.
they have the rearward an foreward inner bushings. the rearward one should press out, but I ahven't done mine yet so I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Told by dealership right front ball joint is bad. I understand that the entire control arm needs to be replaced, but.... dealership said that after replacing this the alignment does NOT need to be adjusted? They said that for 2012 CRZ you don't need to check alignment after replacing control arm. Doesn't seem right to me... has anyone else been told that by Honda dealer?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Told by dealership right front ball joint is bad. I understand that the entire control arm needs to be replaced, but.... dealership said that after replacing this the alignment does NOT need to be adjusted? They said that for 2012 CRZ you don't need to check alignment after replacing control arm. Doesn't seem right to me... has anyone else been told that by Honda dealer?
Eh, its a good idea to have one done after replacing the entire arm but obviously the dealership wants to perform that alignment for your money. I probably would do an alignment (cause it's been a while, however I don't have them done by Honda service) but if funds are tight or you're too busy you could wait, or take it to alignment shop of your choosing. If they are the one replacing the arm and insisting you do alignment after they may have you sign a waiver as a scare tactic or some bs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Eh, its a good idea to have one done after replacing the entire arm but obviously the dealership wants to perform that alignment for your money. I probably would do an alignment (cause it's been a while, however I don't have them done by Honda service) but if funds are tight or you're too busy you could wait, or take it to alignment shop of your choosing. If they are the one replacing the arm and insisting you do alignment after they may have you sign a waiver as a scare tactic or some bs.
Just the opposite. the dealership is the one saying the alignment isn't needed (on this type of control arm or something CRZ specific). thought that was odd

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Just the opposite. the dealership is the one saying the alignment isn't needed (on this type of control arm or something CRZ specific). thought that was odd
yea, that doesn't sound right. my car was noticeably out of alignment after replacing both control arms... There's a bit of play in the mounting points for the control arm itself, enough that the alignment could be impacted.

·
Super Moderator
7,355 Posts
I presume there are adjustments that are related to the lower control arms and I don't understand if there are why a dealer would say not to have it aligned? I know the rear is not adjustable at all.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I presume there are adjustments that are related to the lower control arms and I don't understand if there are why a dealer would say not to have it aligned? I know the rear is not adjustable at all.
there is some VERY MINOR adjustments you can make to the rear by loosening the mounting bolts and prying it one way or the other. You're right that the rear is not "adjustable" in the typical sense.

it's kind of the same with the front lower control arms. the control arms are not officially "adjustable" but the still often need some tweaks.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Lol I misread that. Suspicious that a dealership doesn't want to charge more, confusing as heck.

Second @96firephoenix regarding the wiggle-room in LCA mounting. The subframe is also a small adjustment area and the LCAs mount to that so undoing the arms can absolutely throw it off. It's also possible for the LCAs to become slightly altered by a pothole for example and then corrected with an alignment, so replacing the old arm with a brand new arm would thus throw off that alignment as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts