Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Z, 284,000 km.

I have this recurring problem with my front brake pads clicking or rattling. At first, I thought I had an axle starting to go but that wasn't the case. Under light braking at low speeds, I get a "clunk-clunk-clunk" sound from my front wheels.

I disassembled everything, greased the pad "ears" and everywhere the caliper touches the pads, as well as the slide pins. That, to my surprise, stopped the noise. But only for about 10k km until is slowly came back. Since my pads were getting thin (about 4-5mm) I replaced them with OEM pads from Honda, regreased everything again, and put it back together. I thought perhaps the fact that the pads were getting thin might be allowing them to rattle more, and maybe fresh ones would help.

About 15k km later this time, the rattling is starting to come back again. Has anyone experienced this? If so, what was your solution? I am thinking about putting some RTV between the piston and backing plate of the pad to basically glue it in place to stop the rattling, but I would rather not do that if there is something else I can do to solve this problem.

·
Super Moderator
4,639 Posts
There are clips in most brake systems to prevent this very issue. What you propose to do is probably not a good idea. Time to check the FSM( Factory Service Manual) and verify all parts required to hold brake pads are present.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are clips in most brake systems to prevent this very issue. What you propose to do is probably not a good idea. Time to check the FSM( Factory Service Manual) and verify all parts required to hold brake pads are present.
The clips are installed according to the factory service manual as well as the springs. Everything is assembled and torqued correctly according to Honda. The kit came with all new hardware including springs and clips and was installed according to Honda's recommendations in the factory service manual.

The brakes were installed with an extra spring the first time I disassembled the brakes and I originally thought that may have been my issue.

According to the dealer's manual (they were actually very willing to help me with this to my surprise), only one "Y"-spring should be installed on each wheel, and should be installed in the top holes of the brake pads. That is what I have done. Originally, 2 "Y" springs were installed on each set of pads.
It's never been as bas as it was at first with two springs, but it still makes noise to some degree.

I can see where the rattling is happening; the pad ears are leaving shiny witness marks where they fit into the clips. This is where I keep adding grease, and it always shuts it up for awhile. Longer if it doesn't rain much, less time if it's wetter. I believe because the grease gets washed out to some degree.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
...I can see where the rattling is happening; the pad ears are leaving shiny witness marks where they fit into the clips. This is where I keep adding grease, and it always shuts it up for awhile. Longer if it doesn't rain much, less time if it's wetter. I believe because the grease gets washed out to some degree.
I rebuilt the front brakes and calipers on my 2002 Insight, and the kit (Honda OEM) came with three specific types of grease. I can't remember which grease was for what surface, but looking at the CR-Z service manual, I see only one type noted, and that's M-77 assembly paste (08798-9010) If you're using a different type of paste, maybe that could be the issue, but in my experience, most of those products are made to hold up and do their job, so it's the only thing I can think of, if all else OEM and assembled correctly. (At first, I suspected your rotors might be the culprit, but they'd make the chattering all the time....)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I rebuilt the front brakes and calipers on my 2002 Insight, and the kit (Honda OEM) came with three specific types of grease. I can't remember which grease was for what surface, but looking at the CR-Z service manual, I see only one type noted, and that's M-77 assembly paste (08798-9010) If you're using a different type of paste, maybe that could be the issue, but in my experience, most of those products are made to hold up and do their job, so it's the only thing I can think of, if all else OEM and assembled correctly. (At first, I suspected your rotors might be the culprit, but they'd make the chattering all the time....)
I used the little pack of grease/paste that came in the kit. I don't remember what it was called but I assume it was the right stuff since it was included in the kit I got at the dealership.

Since I used it all when I first installed the pads, I don't have any left and have been using "brake caliper grease" that I had on the shelf.

It lasts about the same amount of time as the little pack that Honda provided before the clicking starts and I need to reapply.

This isn't really a driveability issue or anything but it's super annoying to have to remove the front wheels and reapply grease to the brake pads every time I change the engine oil. Not to mention embarrassing while I'm creeping along in traffic every day.

Starting to sound like something I am going to have to live with, though.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
...This isn't really a driveability issue or anything but it's super annoying to have to remove the front wheels and reapply grease to the brake pads every time I change the engine oil. Not to mention embarrassing while I'm creeping along in traffic every day.

Starting to sound like something I am going to have to live with, though.
Looks like you put the recommended stuff on, but I'm going a bit nuts about it too, and it's not even happening to me, lol. When I hear "people like you" :) coming down the road, I'm paranoid that it's my brakes making the noise....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any possibility something in the calipers is out of specification and therefore causing issue?
How do you mean?
Nothing on the calipers is adjustable, and they are OEM calipers.
All the sliders are free and the pads are wearing evenly.

The damn thing is trying to make a liar out of me. Hasn't made any noise for the past few days, but the few days before that the noise was there.

It's been hot and humid the past few days, so I'm wondering if the ambient temperature has something to do with it. Seems like it's worse when it's cooler out.

I'm probably thinking too hard about this, but it's really annoying and I would love to know exactly what the issue is. New calipers might fix it, but I really don't want to just throw money at it without understanding exactly what my problem is first.

·
Super Moderator
4,639 Posts
How do you mean?
Nothing on the calipers is adjustable, and they are OEM calipers.
All the sliders are free and the pads are wearing evenly.

The damn thing is trying to make a liar out of me. Hasn't made any noise for the past few days, but the few days before that the noise was there.

It's been hot and humid the past few days, so I'm wondering if the ambient temperature has something to do with it. Seems like it's worse when it's cooler out.

I'm probably thinking too hard about this, but it's really annoying and I would love to know exactly what the issue is. New calipers might fix it, but I really don't want to just throw money at it without understanding exactly what my problem is first.
I was thinking worn in an unusual way or something in the casting bent.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
i wouldnt worry about it too much if youre not noticing any other symptoms. that said it really has to do with a combo of pad thickness and /or presence of the oem shims (i think) a lot of aftermarket pads are really tough to make the shims fit so sometimes people just forego then. ive noticed my pads making this noise more recently and im pretty sure theyre due for a change

·
Registered
201 Posts
When I was installing new rear pads and rotors on mine, I had a hard time getting the new pads to fit. I compared the old pads and the new pads. I measured them with my dial calipers. There was a difference in the overall length of the pads causing the pads to not fit. I took a file to one end of the pads and knocked a little of the length off. Pads slid right in the caliper and have not made a peep. The reason for me to change the pads and rotors was the pads were stuck and not sliding in the caliper to begin with and they ruined the rotors.

At one point I thought it was the parking brake dragging.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts