Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently did a brake job on my CRZ. But I could not get the brake bracket off on either side in the front so i just did the pads and called it a day so I could go to work. So the brakes work fine, but the rotor cause the car to shake while braking at high speeds. I know I need to change the rotors asap. But I have 2 question for anyone who can help?
Can i reuse the new pads on there as its only been about 3 days ive had them on?
How have you gotten the bracket off? The bolts holding it in are really in there...If you can suggest a tool, Id greatly appreciate it as i plan on going back in on Friday.
Thnks again.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
@Kneadows321: what tools did you try removing them with?

I suggest a 18v Makita impact, but, if you wanna impact the old way... Just use a socket wrench + hammer?? And pb blaster or any other oil penetration oil stuff!!

If all else fails.. map gas torch!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LMAO thats great. Should i go with a 3/8 or 1/2 and do you know which way these bolts loosen? I may try a breaker bar if i can go clockwise with it permitting the room is there....

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Lefty loosie, righty tighty..

Basically, if you are looking at the bolt head, it should go left to loosen, and right to tighten.. always!

Really though, its a bit scary you are working on breaks if you don't know this. I hope that was a joke! LOL.

If not, basically just put the wrench on them.. and pull to the left while hitting with a hammer, they should come off.

If its not coming off with good pressure, then you are doing something wrong. I live in a HEAVILY salted area and I have never had a super hard time getting these off.

I do suggest an electric impact though. They are worth their weight in gold for everything mechanics. Wheels, brakes, etc.

I use 1/2 on most stuff, but, you can use 3/8 wrenches. Should be fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol umm ok. Thanks for the advice I guess...right tighty left loosey isnt really a standard anymore especially with reverse threading so that's why I asked. I'll try an impact. I'm not sure on why these bolts are on so tight but I'm guessing that someone torqued it down when they did the brakes. Idk...

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Lol umm ok. Thanks for the advice I guess...right tighty left loosey isnt really a standard anymore especially with reverse threading so that's why I asked. I'll try an impact. I'm not sure on why these bolts are on so tight but I'm guessing that someone torqued it down when they did the brakes. Idk...
No one is going to use reverse threading on normal stuff. It IS a standard.

In all my years of working on cars, I think all but ONE time I saw something reverse threaded, and I have worked on tons of stuff. So.. you should def drop that idea.

If you want a cheap (but huge) impact, I reccomend the plug in HF (harbor freight) $40 ones. They rock.

If not, get a makita xwt11z 1/2, or milwaukee. Will set you back a couple hundred, but worth their weight in gold!!

Also, did you try a simple breaker bar first? If you can't get the bolt to break loose with a breaker bar, it's probably ready to snap off. You will need to use a propane or map gas torch, heat what the bolt is going into up red hot, then break it loose.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
@Kneadows321 : definitely give it a try with some pb blaster + breaker bar first. I always use 1/2" breaker bar, and I think the bolts are a 17mm. It should come free. Especially with a breaker bar.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried everything this weekend....nothing worked. At this point Ill just leave it alone until the new brakes go down and when they need changing ill take it in this time.

·
Super Moderator
5,092 Posts
or shop for a set or one used or refurbished caliper Redline Auto Parts - High Quality Used Car Parts it sounds like someone either used thread locker ( of the wrong type for hand tools) or corrosion has welded the bolt in. let us know what you find out when you do. Try dosing it with pentrating rust removal stuff and let it soak for a while but do not get any on pads or disks .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did all of that that even used a breaker bar....... but thank you for the advice. To be honest i think someone did use thread lock on the bracket. So ill just leave it for now since my rotor are pretty good now but ill have to figure something out once the pads go bad.

·
Super Moderator
5,092 Posts
Might need a mechanic to take a look at it. another possibility is someone cross threaded it :(. I am coming up on doing new brakes all around on my 2013 for the first time at 73k miles. The brakes on these cars last a long time.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
@Kneadows321 : this is the time to bust out the map gas torch and heat it up until it's red hot.

Your turning the bolt the correct way too right? (To the left) looking at it from it's head?

If it does have thread locker.. This is how you will get it off. I seriously doubt someone thread locked a brake bracket on though. Would make no sense!

·
Super Moderator
5,092 Posts
More likely Corrosion welded. Penetrating oil( multiple applications) and a breaker bar should have broken it loose by now. At some point you may have to either use an impact gun or take to a mechanic with better tools.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts