Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how I turn on the fog lights on my car while the other lights are turned off?

I've talked to someone on Facebook who had his fog lights turned on, while the other lights were all turned off.
I'd like to be able to do this because it looks nice with colored fog lights. However he had a JDM version which has a Fog Lights button where I have a headlight windscreen-fluid button.
Mine just has the fog light switch on the turn signal stalk. Does anyone know how that would work?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, Not wired to work that way.
Hm, okay. Thanks.

Already thought it wouldn't work but after I've seen this other guy do it I wasn't too sure if it should work on mine as well.

·
Super Moderator
5,290 Posts
You could with some custom wiring and a relay separate the fog light circuit from all other lighting and that circuit always work but make sure the fog light circuit is off when the car is off.

Hm, okay. Thanks.

Already thought it wouldn't work but after I've seen this other guy do it I wasn't too sure if it should work on mine as well.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
110 Posts
You'd have to re-wire your fogs for this. What I would to is to use two relays, one of which needs to be a double throw relay (the ones with 5 pins).

I'll call the double throw relay Relay C (c for control). Wire the signal pins to a switch in the dashboard, so flipping the switch/pressing the button/whatever activates the relay. Wire the common of the relay to the +12v on your fog light bulbs. Wire the Normally Open side to the battery positive, and the normally closed side to the +12v that originally went to your foglights. This will give you an "override" mode, if you will; flipping the switch one way turns the fogs on no matter what. Flipping it the other way makes the fogs operate as normal.

However, this would keep the fogs on in "override" mode even if the car is off. To prevent this, you need a second relay. Remember you now have a wire going from your battery to the Relay C N.O pin. Between the battery and the relay, put another relay (lets call it relay A), wiring one end of the wire to common, and the other to N.O. Wire the signal of the relay to anything that's on with the key on. Something like the ABS fuse. Now, when the car is off, Relay A kills the override functionality. This means you can leave the override mode on, and your fog lights will shut off automatically when you turn the key off.

I know its a bit hard to follow by text only, I'll post a schematic in a moment.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
110 Posts

Here's the final schematic. I just realized that Relay A is completely unnecessary, and that setup would've kept relay C energized for no reason.

This setup bypasses the car's fuse, so you really should add one as close to the battery as possible, just in case something goes wrong. You also need to mount the Relay outside, so either make sure you get one that can handle being outdoors, or somehow seal it. I use a small 3d printed enclosure made for relays.

let me know if you have any questions or can't read my beautiful chicken scratch

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all that info. Hope someone can use that :)

I’m not going to rewire mine for something so small, just hoped there was some way to do it by default :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Over here in the UK it is illegal to have your fog lights on without side lights as well and also illegal to use them unless it is foggy!!
why not just wire up some spotlights

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Over here in the UK it is illegal to have your fog lights on without side lights as well and also illegal to use them unless it is foggy!!
why not just wire up some spotlights
It was more or less for just nice looks when parked as I will put some foil over my foglights lol.
It's also not allowed to have them on over here but they don't give a ticket for it very quickly.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
110 Posts
That's super dumb (no offense). Maybe for the rear fog light it makes sense to only use it when it's foggy, but for the front ones, what's the point?

·
Registered
139 Posts
That's super dumb (no offense). Maybe for the rear fog light it makes sense to only use it when it's foggy, but for the front ones, what's the point?
It is because they glare and can blind oncoming drivers unless dampened by fog.
Rears are even worse!! Does it not piss you off when the car stopped in front, keeps even their brake light on when at a standstill??? many drivers are ignorant and do not know what the 'handbrake' or 'parking brake' as we call it, should be used when at a standstill (I think you lot call it an 'emergency brake'?? ..... beats me! what is the emergency?
Ehhhh well. back in to lockdown. No driving for weeks and weeks. It is a bummer :(

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
110 Posts
It is because they glare and can blind oncoming drivers unless dampened by fog.
Rears are even worse!! Does it not piss you off when the car stopped in front, keeps even their brake light on when at a standstill??? many drivers are ignorant and do not know what the 'handbrake' or 'parking brake' as we call it, should be used when at a standstill (I think you lot call it an 'emergency brake'?? ..... beats me! what is the emergency?
Ehhhh well. back in to lockdown. No driving for weeks and weeks. It is a bummer :(
Again, no offense, but that seems very backwards and illogical. The very point of fog lights is to be low to the ground and have a low cutoff. This prevents the light they create from hitting the fog, going back into your eyes and blinding you. If your fogs blind other drivers, then they're useless as fog lights. By that logic, headlights would be completely useless because they'd blind everyone a the time since they're higher than fogs.

Plus, here in 'Murica, 99% of people drive automatics, and it is incredibly rare to find someone who does release the brakes at a stop light. Personally, it doesn't bother me, and you're the first person I hear complaining about it lol. I think people call it an "emergency brake" because they think you're supposed to use it when your foot brake gives out.

Anyways, you got your point of view, I got mine... Let's not get into a pointless argument. Stay safe out there!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, actually... Fog lights are designed to throw
light out to the sides, rather than directly in front. This is because fog can reflect light back in your face if you shine it directly forward.

So yes, true fog lights can indeed blind other drivers. What you are describing are "driving lights." Not the same as fog lights.

And for the record, I'm a 'Murican with a manual CRZ, and I use the handbrake all the time when stopped. Mainly because... Well why keep pressing your foot down when the handbrake can do the work for you?

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
110 Posts
Well, actually... Fog lights are designed to throw
light out to the sides, rather than directly in front. This is because fog can reflect light back in your face if you shine it directly forward.

So yes, true fog lights can indeed blind other drivers. What you are describing are "driving lights." Not the same as fog lights.

And for the record, I'm a 'Murican with a manual CRZ, and I use the handbrake all the time when stopped. Mainly because... Well why keep pressing your foot down when the handbrake can do the work for you?
Yeah, I used to do that too in my auto civic, but with the 'Z I do hold the foot brake cuz it allows start/stop to kill the engine.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Manual Z's still have the engine cut off when using the handbrake if you put it in neutral nervous letting off the for brake. I do that a lot at red lights, especially long ones.

To the OP, I'm afraid there currently is no option other than manual wiring at this point. Maybe someone with a lot of automotive electrical skill could make a short run kit?

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
110 Posts
Manual Z's still have the engine cut off when using the handbrake if you put it in neutral nervous letting off the for brake. I do that a lot at red lights, especially long ones.

To the OP, I'm afraid there currently is no option other than manual wiring at this point. Maybe someone with a lot of automotive electrical skill could make a short run kit?
The auto doesn't do that. If I let off the brake, even with the handbrake on and in neutral, the engine starts back up.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Unless you're about to start driving forward again, Taking your foot off the brake pedal while waiting at an intersection is just asking to be rear-ended.
Swapping out the OEM fogs for a direct wired aftermarket kit will give you the ability to use the fogs on their own.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts