Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
On the EX version, is there a way to have the fog lights on while the parking lights are on, and low beams off? Is this a custom setting or just not possible?

Thanks,
Alex
It's possible, but not an option to have the fogs on and lights off.

I had the samen problem with my Fit Sport, someone in the Fit forum help me mod it so I can have the fogs one while the main lights off. I'm sure it could be done for the CRZ. Need a electrical know how.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's odd, isn't it? I am used to my Mustangs and other domestic cars having that option. It looks nice and actually works much better in fog. Isn't that the real point of having fogs on a car?

·
Registered
349 Posts
that's odd, isn't it? I am used to my Mustangs and other domestic cars having that option. It looks nice and actually works much better in fog. Isn't that the real point of having fogs on a car?
It might be some laws about that...im not sure.

I do agree, we should be able to run fogs without the headlights if we choose.

Again, it can be done, i'm sure someone on this forum will have a diy on it soon.
It's a matter of splicing some wires and inserting some resistors.

·
Registered
522 Posts
a lot of older model cars, esp US domestic, allow you to run fogs w/o headlights, granted you have the parking lights on.

i very much like this look, and as stated, it actually helps you see better in the fog (the ground is being illuminated, but not the fog cloud...)

i've noticed on almost every new(er) car that this ability is being phased out.... requiring that actual headbeams be on before the fogs will work.

i would certainly enjoy a mod for this :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SpoonCRZ,

I'm embarassed to say this, but....the mustang WAS an '02. My '99 also did that as well (re: fogs). The reason why I say "was" is that I had a fun night of sushi and sake and started thinking strange Japanese thoughts. Especially for a guy who was raised in Detroit and only drove American muscle. Well, after a lot of sake, I considered my long daily commute into Boston, visited a dealership, and traded in the '02 Mustang for the CR-Z. I had been considering a hybrid or EV car for some time. It has been a week so far and I love the CR-Z, but still ask myself what the heck did I do???

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
i had to modify the fog light wiring on my Si to do this... but the result was much more choice on lighting when driving... the downside was that since i ran the wires direct, i had to remember (w/o a reminder) to turn them off or else they would stay on when i shut the car off... killed my battery a couple times b/c of it :pat:

the CR-Z might be able to get wired the same way... but this was a couple years ago so i don't remember what i did to it... all i remember is a purple wire and fuse box :iorun:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
If someone can find a wiring diagram and a harness pin out sheet I can probably do a write up on how to do this, while retaining the 'warning charm'. No guarantees.

SpoonCRZ,

I'm embarassed to say this, but....the mustang WAS an '02. My '99 also did that as well (re: fogs). The reason why I say "was" is that I had a fun night of sushi and sake and started thinking strange Japanese thoughts. Especially for a guy who was raised in Detroit and only drove American muscle. Well, after a lot of sake, I considered my long daily commute into Boston, visited a dealership, and traded in the '02 Mustang for the CR-Z. I had been considering a hybrid or EV car for some time. It has been a week so far and I love the CR-Z, but still ask myself what the heck did I do???
So you drove under the influence? Also traded and bought a new car? I know the former is illegal. And in Texas the latter is illegal; you can't buy a car or close on a house while under the influence.

I smoked a joint in the parking lot before I closed on my house. :blush:

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Remember that driving with your parking lights on is illegal in all states, no matter what time of day or night.
1st time i EVER heard of this one... some cars drive with their headlights on all the time (headlights on = parking lights on too)...

i really don't see the logic in this law and i can't believe it... if i ever get pulled over for driving in the daytime with my parking lights on, i will smack the cop so i can leave knowing i actually did something illegal rather than this nonsense...

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
1st time i EVER heard of this one... some cars drive with their headlights on all the time (headlights on = parking lights on too)...

i really don't see the logic in this law and i can't believe it... if i ever get pulled over for driving in the daytime with my parking lights on, i will smack the cop so i can leave knowing i actually did something illegal rather than this nonsense...
It is illegal to drive with only your parking lights at night when you should have your headlights on. Dusk and Dawn can also be illegal depending on law enforcement judgement.

It is not illegal to use your parking lights or daytime running lights in the eh, daytime.

Disclaimer, US laws. Not sure about other countries.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm used to being able to have the parking lights on, then activate the front fog lights or rear fog light on German cars.
I know since at least model year '99.5 VWs are able to use their parking lights and front/rear fogs, however, the US lightswitch only has off or on for the parking lights and headlights. There's no "parking lights/fog lights only" middle selection. However, if you change the light switch itself with the European switch, you immediately get the ability to control parking lights only, and rear fog light (if installed).
I'm sure it's some ridiculous law, as I believe it's technically illegal in the US to have your (parking) lights on without your headlights [EDIT I missed the second page where this was already said a few times. lol]

My gf's 2003 Element fog lights will only come on when the headlights are on as well. Parking light mode be damned I guess. :(

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
It is illegal to drive with only your parking lights at night when you should have your headlights on. Dusk and Dawn can also be illegal depending on law enforcement judgement.

It is not illegal to use your parking lights or daytime running lights in the eh, daytime.

Disclaimer, US laws. Not sure about other countries.
yeah, i reread it and i should say that of course at night, using only parking lights is illegal... but i stopped reading after the part about anytime of the day... i don't think there's one cop out there who will give you a ticket for driving around in the daytime with any/all of your lights on... cars today have DRL's and i've seen some cars come with lights that run all the time, my dads 1500 Silverado does this for sure...

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
:yeahthat:
yeah, i reread it and i should say that of course at night, using only parking lights is illegal... but i stopped reading after the part about anytime of the day... i don't think there's one cop out there who will give you a ticket for driving around in the daytime with any/all of your lights on... cars today have DRL's and i've seen some cars come with lights that run all the time, my dads 1500 Silverado does this for sure...
:yeahthat:
Just watch out for the dusk and dawn or foggy/rainy conditions thing. At least once a day I see someone driving with no lights (Parking/Daytime/Nighttime) lights running when visibility is limited.

Use your Auto setting on your CR-Z and it is and will be all good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I feel your pain

SpoonCRZ,

I did the same thing ACON, but keep in mind driving your stang in the snow was a nightmare. I almost wrecked mine last year, and made myself a promise to have a front wheel drive car this year. So welcome to the world of "I miss my muscle car" :sadwavey:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Never drove it in snow. In fact, it never saw a flake and only was in rain probably less than 5 days. Never spent a night outside either. I kept it garaged at night and stored it for the winter. I used a fairly-well abused '95 Chevy 1500 4x4 for my winter-month commutes, so the stang had low miles. Yes, I miss it, but the truck has over 340K miles and is not dependable. So I regrettably gave up the stang for now, hoping to get one of the newer GT500s in a couple of years. However, I am really having fun with this CR-Z, much more than expected. Got 41.5 mpg on the way into Boston the other day. That is almost 3x the mustang and >3x what I get in the truck.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.