Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have been really interested in getting a flip key for my CR-Z and I read how much one would cost to get ship over from overseas and said forget it.
Well a few weeks ago I noticed one of the ads at the top of the forum was for a company called iKeyeless so I clicked the link and started looking at their page. As you can imagine they did not have the CR-Z on there but they did have a flip key for the Accord and Fit that looked like the CR-Z key.

I have thought about it for a few weeks and decided yesterday it was time to buy one, but before I did I wanted to talk to someone at the company and see if they knew if it would work. I talked with Nick on the companies online chat and he was very helpful. After he did some research he found that the Accord and Fit keys would not work with the CR-Z FCC ID on our remote was different.

Nick did find that the standard remote for the CR-V was a match to ours but they did not make it in a Flip Style key.

He said that if I wanted they could make one of the flip keys for the my CR-Z. I asked about the transponder being in the correct location and he said it would be as they make the boards that go into the remotes.

I ordered one and should receive it in the next week or so as they have to build it.

The key will still have to be cut and programmed by the dealer service department but I already talk to the service manager and he is going to do it for free due to an issue we had with my spoiler install.

Nick sent me instructions for programmimg the lock unlock buttons which is included when you buy a remote. I will let you know how it works out once I get the key and have it cut.

I told Nick that there may be other members interested in this key so he has added a page for the CR-Z to their website. Here is the link to the CR-Z page:

https://www.ikeyless.com/vehicles/Honda/CR-Z/2011

If you have any questions let me know.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got mine for the flip key price of the Fit which is $69.95 + shipping. Nick had me order it then he changed my order to put the correct electronics in it for the CR-Z. I am not sure why the one on the site is now $99.95. I think I just got lucky on the price because I was the first person to ask about one and I helped him get the information to create the key. I have sent him a link to this post so maybe he will get on here and answer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
here's the thing with the flip key shells on ebay.....

do they work? absolutely. will it require modification for it to work properly? more than likely.

when you open your OEM honda remote key, you'll notice that the transponder chip is built into the remote-portion of the circuit board. (you'll have to remove the cover to see it). the circuit board has two functions: keyless entry, and the transponder chip to start the car.

after having the blade cut to match and moving the "guts" from the original key into the flip key shell, the key may or may not start the car. reason being is the transponder chip is too far away from the transceiver on the ignition. i've seen this countless times. the only solution is to carefully remove the transponder chip from the OEM "guts" and glue it inside the flip key shell much closer to the ignition. then it will work fine.

of course Dartagnan_007 you won't have to worry about the issue above. we've got you covered.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
As for the pricing question above - I didn't miss the question, I'm just trying to get in touch with site moderators before posting anything regarding pricing, sales, etc
:thumbsup:
iKeyless,
I have sent a private message with a copy of the email you sent me to bizzybear as he is a site moderate. Hopefully he will get with you shortly.
bizzybear is useless with that stuff :hiding:

i fwd'd to the proper authority tho :hi5:

·
Registered
674 Posts

do they work? absolutely. will it require modification for it to work properly? more than likely.
I don't expect it to be plug and play, but I experimented with the key guts and the car starts up until about 1/2" further out from the standard location of the transponder. Hope dies last :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would love to have a folding key. Looks very similar to the folding key for the MDX, but after watching the video, it looks a little bigger, or maybe the person had small hands. Do you know the dimensions of the black casing?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I would definitely buy a flip key from iKeyless(?). Can't wait for you to post some info. Maybe you should look in to being a forum vendor? I'd imagine a lot of the USDM owners would like the option.

If you want to know a price, the CR-Z flip key seems to be listed on their site. I really like the key finder thingy, too. Good idea.

Edit: Does the trunk button work?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shatner,
They are in talks with Mike to be able to be a sponser or at least answer questions about price.
As for the trunk button the Flip I am getting does not have it. It has the same buttons as our current key has. You can see what it looks like on there site as they have a CR-Z page now.
Hopefully iKeyless will be able to post more info for you guys on here soon. THey may even do a group buy. Also if you want to go the route of moving your electronics over you can contact iKeyless through his login and ask him about buying just the case.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Shatner,
They are in talks with Mike to be able to be a sponser or at least answer questions about price.
As for the trunk button the Flip I am getting does not have it. It has the same buttons as our current key has. You can see what it looks like on there site as they have a CR-Z page now.
Hopefully iKeyless will be able to post more info for you guys on here soon. THey may even do a group buy. Also if you want to go the route of moving your electronics over you can contact iKeyless through his login and ask him about buying just the case.
I saw the trunk button on the CRZ page. But oh well. It'd be REALLY cool if they did a trunk popper option though. :winkwink:

·
Registered
20 Posts

when you open your OEM honda remote key, you'll notice that the transponder chip is built into the remote-portion of the circuit board. (you'll have to remove the cover to see it). the circuit board has two functions: keyless entry, and the transponder chip to start the car.

after having the blade cut to match and moving the "guts" from the original key into the flip key shell, the key may or may not start the car. reason being is the transponder chip is too far away from the transceiver on the ignition. i've seen this countless times. the only solution is to carefully remove the transponder chip from the OEM "guts" and glue it inside the flip key shell much closer to the ignition. then it will work fine.

of course Dartagnan_007 you won't have to worry about the issue above. we've got you covered.
Reviving an old post, yest I ran into this issue, sensor is a bit too far from the ignition, do you have pic of where you clued it ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts