Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hallo,
driving the CR-Z it still happens to me to make mistake while changing gear, due to the "bug" of the delay of the electronic accelerator. Basically I mean when it's like as if you accelerate with the clutch pressed, but in reality the accelerator was off for a few moments.
It's a cr-z defect that I need to fix...

My question is: someone solved it?
And using Hondata or Ktuner? Which of the two solves the problem better and more easily DIY?

Thanks!

· Premium Member
9,067 Posts
Look at the postings about the clutch delay valve and removing it. It is part of the hydraulic system for the clutch, not electronic. No programmer required if I am understanding the below referenced postings. In the referenced postings, multiple long time members have bypassed that physical valve.

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The rev hang can be tuned out with both solutions. What year is your Z? The Hondata only works on the 10-12.
The CR-Z is a ZF1.
I am asking because I probably read time ago about the tuning of the (electronic) pedal, but I don't know which software was used.

A consequent question is "Which of these 2 software is better out of the box, just to apply a basic tune like adding intake / exhaust to the ECU?"

· Registered
1,278 Posts
For the CR-Z they are roughly the same. AFIK neither support flex fuel on the Z platform. They will both do fuel and timing tables, VTEC cross over point, and the throttle mapping/turning off the over run.

Both can disable emissions things like cat monitoring and evap monitoring. So really for the Z they are about the same. My preference is still for the Hondata.

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Look at the postings about the clutch delay valve and removing it. It is part of the hydraulic system for the clutch, not electronic. No programmer required if I am understanding the below referenced postings. In the referenced postings, multiple long time members have bypassed that physical valve.

I am reading it... it feels like a geeky mod. Maybe replacing the stock clutch with a HKS or other sporty clutch, will remove it?

· Premium Member
9,067 Posts
No, it is part of the clutch master cylinder. Read and maybe contact one or more of the posters whom worked on this mod.
The logic makes sense but I have a CVT so am not intimately familiar with these parts.
I am reading it... it feels like a geeky mod. Maybe replacing the stock clutch with a HKS or other sporty clutch, will remove it?

· This space deliberately left blank
2,558 Posts
the clutch delay valve is built into the clutch master cylinder.

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the clutch delay valve is built into the clutch master cylinder.

Answered :-D

· Premium Member
9,067 Posts
Conventional wisdom on this forum regarding tuners is for minor external to the engine changes like exhausts and intakes, there is little to be gained by a tuner. More extensive changes like forced induction and internal engine changes (cam etc.) a tuner is required. You also need to get a tuner that is supported for the year you have. It is also highly recommended to take the car to a shop with a dynamometer and experience with your particular tuner to get the most out of these more extensive changes.

The CR-Z is a ZF1.
I am asking because I probably read time ago about the tuning of the (electronic) pedal, but I don't know which software was used.

A consequent question is "Which of these 2 software is better out of the box, just to apply a basic tune like adding intake / exhaust to the ECU?"

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Conventional wisdom on this forum regarding tuners is for minor external to the engine changes like exhausts and intakes, there is little to be gained by a tuner. More extensive changes like forced induction and internal engine changes (cam etc.) a tuner is required. You also need to get a tuner that is supported for the year you have. It is also highly recommended to take the car to a shop with a dynamometer and experience with your particular tuner to get the most out of these more extensive changes.
Right. I have a dyno in my city, and it will be involved.
But it's not that great as "tuner artisan", if you understand the translation... My idea in general is to get the next intake/exhaust mounted by a mechanic and then verified by the Dyno center.
My dyno center is not a good mechanic, they messed up a bit when installing the RB1.

· Premium Member
9,067 Posts
Right. I have a dyno in my city, and it will be involved.
But it's not that great as "tuner artisan", if you understand the translation... My idea in general is to get the next intake/exhaust mounted by a mechanic and then verified by the Dyno center.
My dyno center is not a good mechanic, they messed up a bit when installing the RB1.
In that situation the dyno tests maybe a waste of money.

· Registered
2013 Honda CR-Z w/ HPD supercharger
531 Posts
I think this is just a case of rev hang that's been mistranslated. If that's the case then just get Ktuner V1.2. Go into the settings for Throttle Overrun Compensation. Set it from 100% to 0%. Reflash the ECU. It's pretty easy.

· Premium Member
9,067 Posts
What you think is wrong. It is a hardware valve, as indicated in the many postings I listed in the very first answer I posted. It is a feature, not a fault or failure. Furthermore, it is working as designed and is something you need to learn about that is different from other vehicles.

See the original posting by @ITEM9 who knows way more about these cars than you ever will. Good luck in the Navy. I hope you come back with a better attitude and manners. If you are not taking your CR-Z with you, see the many postings here for long term storage or get it sold before you go.

It is not just a Honda part and is used in many MT vehicles.

Do some research expand your knowledge, don't just think about something, actually learn. Hopefully, you will learn how to learn in the Navy.

I think this is just a case of rev hang that's been mistranslated. If that's the case then just get Ktuner V1.2. Go into the settings for Throttle Overrun Compensation. Set it from 100% to 0%. Reflash the ECU. It's pretty easy.

· Registered
531 Posts
What you think is wrong. It is a hardware valve, as indicated in the many postings I listed in the very first answer I posted. It is a feature, not a fault or failure. Furthermore, it is working as designed and is something you need to learn about that is different from other vehicles.

See the original posting by @ITEM9 who knows way more about these cars than you ever will. Good luck in the Navy. I hope you come back with a better attitude and manners. If you are not taking your CR-Z with you, see the many postings here for long term storage or get it sold before you go.

It is not just a Honda part and is used in many MT vehicles.

Do some research expand your knowledge, don't just think about something, actually learn. Hopefully, you will learn how to learn in the Navy.

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
You CR-Z owners from USA are so wild! ;-)

The right term may be "rev hang" probably, and to be precise it happens to me mostly between 2nd and 3rd gear and 4th to 5th while driving sporty. But not in a consistent way.
(If I try to repeat the rev hang, my CR-Z misses it lol maybe my clutch is old at 155.000 km?)

It tends to happens to me less on SPORT mode than normal mode, so I imagined that part of the problem was an electronic setup. But also Spdbump is right, there's a delay valve...

At this point I could go to Honda for a clutch revision and maybe ask for a valve removal, or anticipate the purchase of Ktuner and set the Throttle Overrun Compensation.

· Premium Member
9,067 Posts
Wtf? I did not look at the video. I find it crazy to change a physical hardware feature with an expensive hardware / software device where the feature which you may dislike or maybe worn or damaged can be removed by following a well documented DIY.

@SkittyDoogle have you made either of these changes to yours or is it just a thought experiment?
Tuners can make many changes but bypassing a physical device is not one of them. It may reduce something related to that valve but to really make a bigger change requires a hardware change as the DIY and articles etc referenced explain.

Tuning devices are over $500 and requires lots of knowledge and skills.

The valve deletion is well documented and costs less.

I knew nothing about that valve till I searched on this forum and other places looking for a real "solution " to his "issue ".

Even @96firephoenix referred to the same DIY I found.
It is a feature not a failure and the modification is well documented by a Member I respect. Everything he ever posted was logical and well researched.

It is too bad the forum has degraded since then.

Now no one reads ,researches or tries to understand anything they just push their own thoughts with no discussion.

This thread is like many others super repetitive and no longer a discussion or helpful.

· Registered
531 Posts
You CR-Z owners from USA are so wild! ;-)

The right term may be "rev hang" probably, and to be precise it happens to me mostly between 2nd and 3rd gear and 4th to 5th while driving sporty. But not in a consistent way.
(If I try to repeat the rev hang, my CR-Z misses it lol maybe my clutch is old at 155.000 km?)

It tends to happens to me less on SPORT mode than normal mode, so I imagined that part of the problem was an electronic setup. But also Spdbump is right, there's a delay valve...

At this point I could go to Honda for a clutch revision and maybe ask for a valve removal, or anticipate the purchase of Ktuner and set the Throttle Overrun Compensation.
When mine was stock it had quite a bit of rev hang, and it still had rev hang after it was supercharged. But looking through the settings and after emailing Ktuner they told me to set that value from 100% to 0% and it worked like a charm. Good luck to you m8. Don't worry, be happy. :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts