Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my CR-Z about a week ago. I was real nervious about several aspects of the car. I was really worried after I read the Consumer Reports article. I was almost ready to cancel but am so glad I didn't. Below are some of my initial concerns (before I had my hands on the car) and what I think about them now.

1. I was really worried about the blind spots and rear vision - It ain't the best but it sure isn't as bad as I expected. It is OK. I wish the small windows were a little bigger but that is about it. I can live with the rear vision and side vision, so I am feeling very good about this. Not a concern anymore.

2. I was a little worried it would be under powered - I have basically been driving it in Normal mode and it is peppy enough for me there. I have used Sports Mode a couple time (I am still breaking it in) and it is pretty nice in Sports Mode. I have no complaints. Can't wait till I drive it more in Sports Mode.

3. I was a little worried the MPG wouldn't be that good. Well, I got 37.5 MPG on my first tank and am almost at 40 MPG now. It kind of makes me want to drive efficiently (at least for this tank). How can you be that and still have a great, fun car to drive that looks like a million bucks. And to boot, it is on regular gas. I used to have a Celica which got great gas mileage but I had to use Premium.

4. I was worried that the Navi wouldn't be that good. - Well that is kind of still a worry. It isn't bad but could be better. When I set it to beige it still looks white. It has a lot of capability so I probably don't know what I am talking about completely. But I can't complain.

5. I was worried that it would be noisy on interstates - It isn't exactly a Lexus quiet but it isn't that bad. I don't mind the little noise driving at 70 to 75 MPH. So this isn't a worry anymore.

My two very minor complaints are:
1) It rides like a sports car. DUH. That is what it is. We have some major construction around my area and I feel every bump in the road until they get the rodes repaived. I knew this going in, so this isn't a problem. I am 63 years old, ride roller coasters, and sometimes it kind of feels like a good old woodie.

2) I wish it had a little more storage. My Celica had two small compartments in the rear sidewalls of the trunk (hatchback area). I was able to put a T-shirt and tire inflator in one and in the other I was able to put a small first aid/safety kit in the other. That was nice to hide them. There is lots of room on the CR-Z back there where they could put some small compartments.

Not much of a complaint list yet.

So as far as rating things, there is my ratings
Styling - A++ - Don't you think this is the best looking car out there
Interior decor - A+ - Other then a sexier GPS, this is the boss
Ride - A - Like I said it rides a little stiff but what should I have expected
Trim - A+ - Well laid out, great color, looks hot from every angle. What more can you say.
Performance - A - Might not be able to beat a Corvette but then I can get it up to 70 MPH quicker then the law would want me to.
Quality - A+ - When I shut the door it shuts like it is 50,000 dollar car. It sounds really solid.
Instruments - A+ - What more controls could we ask for. Everything is laid out so great and easy to read (even for a 63 year old)

Hope this helps some people who are on the fence like I was. I have had two old Corvettes (a 65 and 66 many years ago), a 300 ZX, a Celica CT-S, a couple Mustangs and a Honda Accord Coupe and this one is the best (my ZX was also very, very good).

Bill

·
Registered
807 Posts
Very good writeup and I concur on all points.

The nav is a little crappy, but better than not having one...and worth it to remote the iPod GUI to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going to add a couple more things that Honda could have done. Not a major complaint. Just some random observations. I hope my previous review will help some people who are sitting on the fense.

1. Maybe I am wrong but when you spend 1800 dollars for a Nav system/Radio combination, it should be better. It would be nice if it could display the name of the song/artist (if broadcast from the station). I rented a Honda Accord several years ago and it didn't have a fancy Nav system and it did it. Maybe they should have put an HD Radio in it. I know I can get a satellite radio system but I don't want the extra fees for something that could be free and great quality (like HD Radio).

2. They could have built something more then a shelf to hold the phone. Something that you could put the phone/iPod Touch, etc into to keep it upright. That would be so cool.

3. Sun roof. I would love to have one. As long as it maintained the integrity of the car and didn't increase the noise.

4. Why a PCMCIA (PC Card slot). Why not a multi-purpose slot for flash memory cards of just go with a SD card slot. Not I have to purchase an adapter to put an SD card into it.

5. Navi system is so 2005. It has some good features but my Garmin portable is so much better and portable. The Nav system could have some nice splash screens, the ability to put photos on it, a backup camera option, real-time traffic updates, better graphics. Just about everything. Maybe if they update just the unit for 2012, I could pay to swap it out. I like that it is integrated in the dash, works with the Bluetooth, radio, A/C, etc. and you can tell it hundreds of commands but it really is the cars worst feature.

Coasterbill

p.s. - Yes I love Roller Coasters and have ridden over 600 different ones

·
Registered
807 Posts
I agree that the Nav isn't that good a package. No reason to get one when a phone can do all the same things.
There's a few reasons...

- Nice iPod GUI
- AUX port remoted down below the console
- It does integrate nicely with the audio and phone system.

For $1800 it was worth it, to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Back again after almost 2 weeks with my CR-Z. Not complaining. Just commenting to maybe hope that Honda is listening to some of these small improvements. Some of them are so stupid, that you wonder if someone ever drove the car before it was sold. I love the car, but most everything can be improved. And especially if it wouldn't cost much but make the car so much more loveable.

1. This one is so small that I can't believe no one at Honda every gave it a thought. I was driving to work at about 7:30 in the morning going north to south. Sun is rising in the East. So I put my sun visor over parallel with the side window. Not much of a fit. It didn't block out the sun. I know it is a small car with small sun visors, but they could of put slide out extenders or some other solution. It almost hit my head because it doesn't even fit close to the window. This is a really stupid design flaw. Come on Honda. You are smarter then that.

2. Wouldn't it be nice to have a nice slot to put your phone (I have an iPhone) maybe in front of the beverage holders so the phone can sit upright. Something minor but shouldn't cost a cent and so many people would love it.

3. I know I said, I realized it is a sports car and it has stiff suspension, but for some reason the seats seem a little hard to me. You know you can't tell that on a 10 minute test drive, but it is starting to become a little pain for my back and butt. Any suggestions? I don't want to spoil the good looks of the seats. One thing Honda could have done was to put a lumbar supporter in the drivers seat. My old Nissan Z had several air bags in the seat where you could pump up the lumbar and I think the thigh support. This would be expensive but it would be worth it to me.

4. One final thing for this post. I have gotten used to the Navigation system and it is actually pretty cool. It works kind of nice in some ways considering it is 5 years old. It works good with my iPhone 3GS. I can even run Sticher and Pandora (somewhat) and listen to Buzz Out Loud and music on Pandora (it sometimes switches over to the iPod player). One thing that amazes me is with a new car, it doesn't have HD Radio. So the radio sounds like a radio. Nothing fantastic. But when I ran it through my iPhone, it really sounds great. I hear lots of the little sounds you don't normally hear in a car stereo system and can only hear via headphones.

Honda, are you listening. You could do so much more with this beautiful, fun, sexy, head turning car. It is such a shame.

·
Registered
314 Posts
2. Wouldn't it be nice to have a nice slot to put your phone (I have an iPhone) maybe in front of the beverage holders so the phone can sit upright. Something minor but shouldn't cost a cent and so many people would love it.
That sounds like a nice idea at first, but what phone do you size it for? Some phones are thicker or wider than others, so if you make it too small the larger ones won't fit, but make it too deep/wide and the smaller phones will jiggle around. If you make it some sort of clamp type, how do you shape it to not block all the variable positions of button and port configurations? Mount options are so cheap and with styles for most any preference it's not worth building into a car a design that won't be usable by half the drivers to start with and maybe even fewer as phones continue to evolve.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I'll take a shot at answering some of your questions. I know people at AHM and have some insight I could share.
I agree with sirjonsnow, too many phones to find a 'universal' solution. However, I would think that one of those Griffen cupholder thingies would solve the problem with little cost. Amazon.com: Griffin iSqueez Cradle for iPhone, iPod or iPod Mini: Electronics I would like to add, how about a coin holder/tray???
3. One thing Honda could have done was to put a lumbar supporter in the drivers seat.
I would think this type of thing could make it's way into the car as it goes through it's product cycle. One thing that most people don't understand about Honda is how they worship at the alter of efficiency. These cars are costed down the penny. If a designer wants a (for example) lid on the cupholder, he might have to forgo another feature or reuse a window switch from the Fit to get it into the budget.

This is especially critical since this car is made in Japan. With the Yen trading at 80-82, I know this is lower than the plans were for this car. (probably why we recently saw a small price increase)
4. One thing that amazes me is with a new car, it doesn't have HD Radio.
This one is easy, Honda is invested in XM so they have no interest in providing you with a free alternative.

·
Registered
298 Posts
3. I know I said, I realized it is a sports car and it has stiff suspension, but for some reason the seats seem a little hard to me. You know you can't tell that on a 10 minute test drive, but it is starting to become a little pain for my back and butt. Any suggestions? I don't want to spoil the good looks of the seats. One thing Honda could have done was to put a lumbar supporter in the drivers seat. My old Nissan Z had several air bags in the seat where you could pump up the lumbar and I think the thigh support. This would be expensive but it would be worth it to me.
I can only suggest that you play with the seat settings. I actually did have lower back pain after my test drive. I was really quite concerned about it before I decided to buy the car, though I figured that one way or another I could make it work.

However, I've not had a single problem in the car that I drove out with. Unfortunately, I don't know what the difference is between the two of them, since this car felt like it fit perfectly from the moment I picked it up - never had to adjust anything but distance and the wheel.

I suspect that the driver's seat I test drove was either too low, or the tilt was wrong (we have tilt, right?), or...I don't know, but I hope you can find a setting that works for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.