Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

The warning light has come on for me to have the car serviced for the first time, we are at about 9000 miles and about 2 months away from the car being 1 year old.

I don't trust car mechanics and car dealerships. I think they are the most dishonest of all business people.

Can anyone please give me advice and tips here. What should this first service cost and what are they likely to come up with as extras. They always seem to think everything is wrong when I take a car to be serviced.

Is it just a oil change - what should I be aware of etc.

Thanks all,

·
Registered
693 Posts
Oil change and rotate your tires.

At 1 year and 9000 miles that is all that is called for.

But if you are not capable of checking your tire pressures, coolant level, brake fluid level, or if you don't what conditions would be abnormal, like you drive down a mountain everyday with your foot dragging on the brake, then pay someone, not necessarily the dealer, to check these things for you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oil change and rotate your tires.

At 1 year and 9000 miles that is all that is called for.

But if you are not capable of checking your tire pressures, coolant level, brake fluid level, or if you don't what conditions would be abnormal, like you drive down a mountain everyday with your foot dragging on the brake, then pay someone, not necessarily the dealer, to check these things for you.
Thanks mate and how much should that cost?

·
Registered
270 Posts
We've had 2 services so far:
the first at about 6300 miles (the light didn't come on, we just decided to have the first oil change; they also "checked" everything), and it cost about 52 USD
the second at about 16,200 miles (light came on; included the tire rotation, oil change, and checking everything again) cost about 112 USD

Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Oil Change (with a new oil filter) and Tire Rotation. I happen to be a dis-honest mechanic (LOL) and at my shop we would charge about $70 USD. Make sure that you use 0w20 oil Honda reccomends it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess we can't really compare UK prices to US prices for a service as I think generally owning a car in the US is a lot cheaper than in the UK.

I phoned 4 different dealers and they are all charging between £164 and £198!!! So much for having a cheap car. The one dealer said its the same he charges for the Jazz!!

Whats worse is that is doesn't include a tire rotate. It's only an oil/filter change and then they check the fluid levels and tires do updates whatever that means.

Guess this is going to be one freaking expensive car to run!

EDIT: BTW the one dealer said is is not recommended to rotate the tires WTF he said they are positioned differently or some sh*t.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Yes, your are being hosed, but like I said, charges are quite different troughout the world.

Here in Maui, Hawaii, the BMW dealer servicing MiNi Coopers charges $326 (roughly £200) for an oil change and a check this, check that servicing. Heaven forbid one of those check this, check that's, reveals somethig tha actually requires real servicing. Then, you better check the limit on your credit card.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Think of it as the dealer charges paying for your warranty, not for the actual work they do. So long as you don't keep the car too long, it seems to roughly balance out in the retail value.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Think of it as the dealer charges paying for your warranty, not for the actual work they do.
This is exactly why we are paying so much for servicing in the UK because people just accept things the way they are. £200 is outrageous for a service.

I don't want to even imagine what it costs to service a Range Rover or something like that.

How do you get your MPG so high?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
A1 service, 55 dollars. No tire rotate because im getting the summers back on soon.

I dont see what the big whoop is with expensive service. I dont see it.

I even got a free windshield wiper because my previous cracked in the cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
357 Posts
This is exactly why we are paying so much for servicing in the UK because people just accept things the way they are. £200 is outrageous for a service.

I don't want to even imagine what it costs to service a Range Rover or something like that.

How do you get your MPG so high?
My MPG works out at 47-49.

Perhaps we are smoother drivers. :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
I recommend having a dealer do the service while the car is still under warranty.

You will void the warranty if you cannot prove the service was not done to their standards. The cost is not much different from most competent garages.

If you can't trust your dealership, find another, Some dealers are very good and work with you. I have dealt with both kinds and have learned how to recognize them.

·
Registered
814 Posts
i would say... "up to you"
as long as you get the engine oil, it should be okey.
most bigger chain garages do multipoint inspection as well with the oil change so it wont cost much.
if you are doing DIY Oil change, ..... just DIY.. you should know what to check for if you read the manual. Honda manuals have very good information of DIYing regular maintenence. I remember on my Audi a4 manual it said, to change the light bulb, go to Audi Dealer...

·
Registered
375 Posts
i would say... "up to you"
as long as you get the engine oil, it should be okey.
most bigger chain garages do multipoint inspection as well with the oil change so it wont cost much.
if you are doing DIY Oil change, ..... just DIY.. you should know what to check for if you read the manual. Honda manuals have very good information of DIYing regular maintenence.
+1

I remember on my Audi a4 manual it said, to change the light bulb, go to Audi Dealer...
Did it also say to "Bend over" while you're at it. :sheep: :pat:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.