Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was always taught that the first oil change a new car should get is at 500 miles.

But the last new car I bought was in 1999.

I'm being told the oil change should only be performed when the maintenance minder indicates an oil life of 15% or less.

Is the old "first oil change at 500 miles" rule of thumb no longer applicable with the new technology in cars?

·
Registered
250 Posts
500 is way to earl. There are several threads on this very topic and most of all of the people are on consensus that you should leave in the "break in oil" until the minder comes on. There still will be some that say to change your oil at 3,000 miles but I say just stick with the minder.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think we did our first oil change at about 6,200 miles...and our second at about 16,300. I think the first time the maint. minder said it was at about 30-40%, and the second time we let it go down to 15-20%.

Personally I feel like the first one should be done around 3-5k, and then every 6 mo/10k miles (whichever comes first). Cars and oils are better than they used to be. And obviously, if you notice the car eating oil or something seems amiss, don't hesitate to do it more often (it won't hurt).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.