Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

First Oil Change

25K views 28 replies 25 participants last post by  mbishop13 
#1 ·
Kind of a dumb question I'm sure...but I can't find the answer in the forum anywhere else.

My oil change sticker says 1/20/2011 or XXXX miles. I have not reached the mileage yet, but obviously I'm past the date. SO, should I wait until I reach the miles??

#2 ·
I personnally wouldn't change it until your oil life percentage tells you too. But it's whatever you're comfortable with. There are posters in here that have gone 9000 miles before they have "needed" to change oil. Your car should tell you when you need to!

#3 ·
^^ Agree. If the sticker is put on by a dealer, it is only to generate extra business. The 'oil life' indicator will tell you when it's time for a change. Also, Honda typically put an additive in the initial factory fill, they like this to stay in the engine through the break in period.

#4 ·
I got and e-mail from Honda today with a video on changing the oil intervals. They said if a wrench comes up with an A next to it just change the oil and NOT the filter, but if the wrench comes up with a B next to it change the oil and filter. I don't think I'm buying changing the oil without changing the filter. Any input?

#5 ·
Normally I would say to do what the car says to do, but I can't see changing the oil without changing the filter since we aren't changing the oil for about 10,000 miles.

#6 ·
^ Yea. Would never change the oil without changing the filter.

#7 ·
I am finally getting ready to change my oil for the first time. Just reached 10% on the maintenance minder with a little over 10k on the odometer. I have always been told that the factory fill should be left in for the duration, especially in new Honda's. I've always been told that the factory fill has some additives imperative to the longevity of the engine (break-in oil) as it were. Waiting hasn't done me wrong so far. I've got over a half million miles driven on various Honda's over the years with no issues.

#9 ·
Okay, i know i have not been very active on this forum-at all- but I'm going to tell you right now; that you should NOT listen to that maintenance light. All that light is, is a reminder that is computed based upon the mileage of the vehicle, how many start-ups, if the motor was brought up to operating temps, ect. That does NOT change the fact that after however many miles regular conventional oil starts to break down after 3 months or 3000 miles, or 5000 miles with full synthetic. And since it is on a factory fill, it is most likely break in oil- which is conventional. In this case, I would have changed it by the date or the mileage whichever comes first, and continue running conventional oil until 10k+ when break in is entirely completed, at which point I, personally would switch over to a full synthetic at the minimum, preferably amsoil if it is in your price range.
As far as the filter goes; that is the main reason oil is changed once the motor has been broken in-- oil filters arent designed to have that many miles put on them, unless they are extended life filters, such as K&N and Royal Purple filters. They get "full" and "clogged". Ever cut apart a used oil filter? You'd understand if you had...
Basically, if you run a conventional/semi-syn oil you go by date or mileage; if you run full synthetic run for mileage and remember to change the filter if your oil is made to run longer than your oil filter.
and for the love of god don't use a damn Fram filter. That is just junk.
Sorry for the long post, but i wanted to be sure that I was as thorough as possible.
G'nite.
Jim

#23 ·
I agree here. I can't believe people trust when the cars tells you to change your oil. All you have to do is open your hood and check it. Between this and tpms, they should call them lazy people lights.

#10 ·
O.K., I thought about starting a new thread, but I didn't want to have another thread with the same title, so........

I just had my first oil change. Honda did it for free (don't ask. A HUGE mistake with the XM install led to a free oil change). Anyway, my question is this:

What was the mile mark when your "oil change indicator (A1)" showed up on your screen?

8500 miles for me.

#11 ·
It went to 15% or whatever (A1) at about 8500 miles or so. I changed the oil and filter myself at about 10,319 miles. Sent the oil off to Blackstone to check the TBN, which was 1.0, basically right on time. Changing the oil ever 10k seems just about perfect. Used a OE Honda Filter, filled with Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy and reset the old Maintenance Minder.

Here's the Blackstone Labs blood work for the car. :)

#13 ·
I'm really confused. All of the previous posters seem to indicate a first oil change around 10k miles. I think I started getting Maintenance Minder alerts about 4,500 miles. I finally got so tired of the alert popping up that I reset the MM. I'm at about 5,500 miles now and wondering... should I do an oil change?! Not a whole lot of miles, and I'm not an aggressive driver.

:confused::confused:

#15 ·
I'm really confused. All of the previous posters seem to indicate a first oil change around 10k miles. I think I started getting Maintenance Minder alerts about 4,500 miles. I finally got so tired of the alert popping up that I reset the MM. I'm at about 5,500 miles now and wondering... should I do an oil change?! Not a whole lot of miles, and I'm not an aggressive driver.

:confused::confused:
A lot of variables I am sure, terrain, tempurature/weather etc. Hard to tell why it would alert at 4500. But if the minder was down to 15% life left or so - would have it changed. Or at least take a look at the oil on the stick and see what it looks/feels like or maybe take it in and ask the question why you the minder is alerting at 4500 - might be something else going on? Dunno.

Another possible thing to consider is if something did happen to it - and didn't change the oil at the MMs advice, the service department can do diagnostics and see at what level it was reset and ask for an oil change receipt.

Anyone else have the MM go off under 6K?

#14 ·
Ya, I just did my first oil change yesterday. Maintenance minder came up at about 8,900 and I changed the oil at 9,100 with a Honda OEM filter and Mobil One 0w20. The oil was pretty dark, but, nothing crazy. Filter was STUCK on and the oem filter is smaller than my filter wrench, so I finally got it off with sandpaper wedged in to get a good grip. I'm glad someone sent in the oil and had it tested at around 10,000, as that is piece of mind coming from my religious 3,000 mile changes on my old car. Was a little worried about following the computer.

#18 ·
I did my first oil and filter change at around 8,400 miles, but I didn't bother to reset the maintenance minder until around 10,500 miles. In the meantime, I tolerated the constant required service code A approaching message at engine startups. Until my reset of the maintenance minder, the computer indicated 15% oil life remaining based on whatever driving parameters it uses to figure oil life (it thought that the old oil was still inside the engine).

My disappointment with the Honda owner's manual is that in the maintenance minder reset instructions it instructed me to push the reset button, but the reset 'button' is really a spring-loaded pull toggle switch (like the high beam switch). The manual should have said PULL the reset lever, not PUSH the reset button, and it caused a bit of frustration with the reset procedure.

#24 ·
Re: Oil change mileage.
Changed my oil at 5,000km.
Switched to "Mobil 1" fully synthetic.

Great for out Canadian winters, minus 30c and wind chill to -45c

Makes it a lot easier on the IMA battery starts if cold soaked engine.

ActuallyI drive my Volvo S80 AWD with 4 snow tires for all the crappy winter days.

#29 ·
1st Oil Change

My MM just turn to 20% at 9488 miles. My first change was made today. One gallon of 0W-20 Amsoil fully synthetic and their 15k Amsoil filter. I have read a lot of good about this oil and some bad. Overall I thought I would give it a chance on this 1st change. The prices were not as bad as I thought. $52 bucks for the oil and filter shipped. Thats after paying $10 bucks for a preferred customer account. So far I love this car. Its the EX w/6SM and its averaging 45 MPG. Most of my travel is back roads and highway. The weather here is always warm in SC so that helps I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.