Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The MaintenanceMinder told me it was time for service, so I went to Merchant's-and they told me they did not stock the oil needed for my car. That caught me off guard-and sent me to auto parts store to buy the oil so they could change it. None in stock. The Honda dealer had it for $7.49/qt, so I bought 4 quarts. PepBoys wanted $62.xx for the job-don't know what Jip you lube wanted cause I avoid them like the plague.

?'s
If this is the same engine as the Fit, why does it require 0w20 oil instead of the 5w20 that the Fit runs?

Is this 0w20 a conventional oil, or synthetic? I thought I read Honda discouraged synthetic oil in this engine, but was told this morning that 0 weight is synthetic oil.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The MaintenanceMinder told me it was time for service, so I went to Merchant's-and they told me they did not stock the oil needed for my car. That caught me off guard-and sent me to auto parts store to buy the oil so they could change it. None in stock. The Honda dealer had it for $7.49/qt, so I bought 4 quarts. PepBoys wanted $62.xx for the job-don't know what Jip you lube wanted cause I avoid them like the plague.

?'s
If this is the same engine as the Fit, why does it require 0w20 oil instead of the 5w20 that the Fit runs?

Is this 0w20 a conventional oil, or synthetic? I thought I read Honda discouraged synthetic oil in this engine, but was told this morning that 0 weight is synthetic oil.
0w20 is available in both conventional and synthetic. The OEM Honda oil is a blend. Honda does not discourage synthetic oil. Your owner's manual states 0w20 synthetic is fine for use in the vehicle.

I plan on using either Eneos or Mobile 1 Synthetic 0w20 in my CRZ when it's time to change the oil.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay-thanks for the clarification on that.

What's the deal with synthetic oil anyway? Every once in a blue moon, I run across somebody that is a diehard synthetic oil user-but have never asked them why.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
A lot of oil threads to check out here. This has been stated before...

Coming from a Civic Hybrid prior to the CR-Z - one of the primary reasons for 0w20 is the autostop/start - puts less wear and tear on the engine and of course, the - eh - thinner the stuff, the easier it flows, heats up to op temp etc..

I don't know of any purely "dino" 0w20. As noted below, Honda's is a blend. Mobile and Castrol and others have synthetics.

Unless you live in a high density "hybrid" area, most quick stop lube places are not going to have 0w20... If they do, it definitely will not be in the drum but sold in quarts at a premium price.

·
Registered
332 Posts
For 0W-20, the W part represents a 'guaranteed' fluidity on a cold winter start-up, the lower the W number - the thinner the oil. The second number represents a lower bound thickness when the engine reaches operating temperature. Although, zero is less than 20 the oil is always thinner when it warms up, but synthetics thin out less after engine warm up to operating temperature, also regular oil lose some of their lubrication properties permanently after even 1,500 miles of use. Mobil Oil studies show that synthetics improve with mileage, but of course combustion acids, dirt, water, etc. collect over time, so the engine oil and filter needs to be changed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.