Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We had the opportunity to tune the Honda CR-Z with Hondata's new FlashPro.

Here is the video (tuning done at 93 octane):

Tuning yielded no appreciable gains on our in house dyno. This does not come as a huge surprise as CR-Z was bone stock so we were not really expecting any major gains.

One of our biggest gripes about the CR-Z was the rev hang, which FlashPro almost completely eliminated. After spending a little time mapping the electronic throttle, we were able to substantially increase throttle response to that of a normal manual cable throttle body. Gas mileage went up by at least 1-2MPG after going through a full tank. It's possible that if the car was driven in the same conditions as it is normally driven, it would have been closer to a 5MPG increase.

FlashPro has made driving the CR-Z much crisper and more enjoyable. We are planning on doing a cold air intake and test pipe with a retune in the near future to see what gains we can extract using FlashPro.

A point of interest for CR-Z owners is how much affect having a low battery will do to the power assist. The graph below shows the comparison to the sport mode with a fully charged battery and a battery with almost no bars illuminated.

·
Registered
267 Posts
For the purpose of tuning the Hondata unit wouldn't it be best to disable the IMA? That way we would compare only changes related to the gasoline engine as this is all the Hondata mapping affects. Please correct me if I am wrong. K

Is there some simple way to disable the IMA with out going into CEL and not being able to switch drive modes?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
how did you gain mpg i lost a few and now my mpg meter on my car isnt reading right like the first tank of gas it got 10mpg less but i filled up and there was more gas then the gauge said then i filled up and now the gas gauge seems fine again but the mpg thing is still wrong i know i may have lost one or two mpg but not 10

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the purpose of tuning the Hondata unit wouldn't it be best to disable the IMA? That way we would compare only changes related to the gasoline engine as this is all the Hondata mapping affects. Please correct me if I am wrong. K

Is there some simple way to disable the IMA with out going into CEL and not being able to switch drive modes?
There is no way to disable the IMA through FlashPro, this usually means the IMA is controlled separately from the main engine PCM.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how did you gain mpg i lost a few and now my mpg meter on my car isnt reading right like the first tank of gas it got 10mpg less but i filled up and there was more gas then the gauge said then i filled up and now the gas gauge seems fine again but the mpg thing is still wrong i know i may have lost one or two mpg but not 10
The "stock" calibration was used from Hondata, but we spent 1-2 hours doing road tuning which made the difference in the gas mileage.

·
Registered
267 Posts
What happens when we throw the circuit breaker switch on the Battery box in the trunk. Will this switch off the IMA or do we get lots of "Check Engine Lights - CELs" as well? We would do well to report only gasoline engine performance differences when making gasoline engine modifications. K

Guess I will have to try this when I get a chance.

I would recommend each serious tuner to switch off IMA for dyno tuning, this remove something variable from the way.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right now our shop is at capacity (has been for almost a month). So unfortunately, we haven't had too much time lately to play with the CR-Z. We still have hopes for it in the future though.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like we're going to be too short on time for the remainder of the Spring/Summer at least to make any products for the CR-Z. :(

·
Registered
379 Posts
Would you have time to take someone in for a dyno / tuning session this summer?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just a quick update. We're super busy still but we do have some openings in the next few weeks for tuning. Just give a call in to the office 866.975.TUNE or send over an email to [email protected] to schedule something.

Looks like we'll be testing some HKS kits in the shop in the next few months so we'll hopefully be able to update you with our findings.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
ill be in contact with you in the spring jeff to make an appointment.

ive been down your shop before with mark (white 8th gen with comptech supercharger) and steve(red b20 em1 civic). after seeing how you work first hand, i wouldnt take my car anywhere else.

hoping to have a full exhaust with header, intake, throttle body and fit manifold. ill get the flashpro from you and with a tune im hoping to see some decent numbers. 20% over stock or more ill be thrilled with.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ill be in contact with you in the spring jeff to make an appointment.

ive been down your shop before with mark (white 8th gen with comptech supercharger) and steve(red b20 em1 civic). after seeing how you work first hand, i wouldnt take my car anywhere else.

hoping to have a full exhaust with header, intake, throttle body and fit manifold. ill get the flashpro from you and with a tune im hoping to see some decent numbers. 20% over stock or more ill be thrilled with.
Awesome. I'm excited to see what it puts down.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts