Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just speculating but I might be the first CRZ owner to do a cross country road trip. Either way please wish me luck and safety as I travel from Philly to LA. Crossing my fingers - CRZ, don't fail me.

· Registered
807 Posts
I am keenly interested in this trip! Both in terms of MPG and in terms of comfort for the long haul.

I plan to do a TX->Cali trip this year. I did this two years ago in a Boxster and while it was awesome when I was on the PCH, some of the long 13 hour stretches getting there were extremely uncomfortable.

· Registered
270 Posts
I am interested to hear how it goes too! Be sure to send an update after the trip :)

No long trips for us yet (nothing over 100 mi or so), but hit over 11,000 miles before Jan 1 (picked up our CRZ Sept 29)

· Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the well wishes. After spending 4 long days and over 2900 miles, I've finally made it and for the most part intact. Here are my experiences:

First of all I am driving the EX 6MT trim. I would say that I was on ECON mode about 95% of the time and other 5% on Normal. My average speed was 55 Mph and on highway at about 62 Mph. My average fuel economy was 43 MPG.

My overall experience was pretty good though after about 6 hours of continuos driving, my right butt cheek and my back was sore and uncomfortable. And since the ceiling is pretty low and me being 5'8", sometimes it was a chore stretching my neck or even finishing a water bottle. You have to almost slouch just to get the last bit of water out. I highly recommend Cruise Control. By the way I was averaging about 13 hours of driving per day.

My CRZ's performance experience was positive for the most part. I tried not to speed even if the speed limit was 75mph. I was purposefully delicate with the ride. The only thing that really sucked was driving up major elevation which you will encounter around Kentucky, New Mexico, Arizona, and California. I tried to stay in ECON mode for those but you really feel the sluggishness of that mode. In fact at one point I was decelerating rapidly on 6th gear - had to downshift to 4th or even 3rd to have enough torque to get up. Pretty scary and you will use up the battery assist in matter of seconds. Luckily the car has Normal mode for added power or even Sports Mode.

One of the great things about this car is the amount of head turning that you will get while on the road. I tried to be extra careful to avoid as much road pebbles kicking up at the car and scratching. I did notice that there was a slight paint chip next to the right fog light. I guess I'll have to purchase a touch up paint to cover that. I'm going to wash and thoroughly check to car tomorrow to make sure there are no other scratches or chips.

But on another note not related to the actual travel, I think someone backed into my car while parked because there is a slight indentation on the front bumper on the right at the seam of the front hood. I just noticed it when I parked at night next to a street light and that area was darker due to the shadow. I ran my finger over the entire seam from left to right and I can definitely feel it. Though there doesn't appear to be a scratch or a paint chip. Strange. Will have to check it out in the morning.

· Registered
251 Posts
Good luck.

Those seats are very comfy, even after 12 hours driving. And I found that I could get 40+ taking it easy at 70.a

Oh, and you're the second cross-country jaunter lol.

And Bizzy, I wish I had done that during my drives. My front bumper is no longer pristine lol

· Registered
621 Posts
Glad you made it safely! I was wondering about how you have your seat setup.. almost upright.. or do you lean it back a bit?
I guess somewhere in between. There's about a 1.5"-2" clearing above my head.

Try using a straw for your drinks on your return trip! And have a safe return!!
STRAW! Why didn't I think of that. Great advice.:thumbsup:

thanks for the update :hi5:

my suggestion would be to cover the entire bumper/hood/fenders mirrors with blue painters tape... get the 3" rolls to cover faster... trust me your paint/car will love you for the extra $20 you spend for the tape... if not, just avoid rocks ;)
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely do that for my return trip - whenever that is.

Good luck.

Those seats are very comfy, even after 12 hours driving. And I found that I could get 40+ taking it easy at 70.a

Oh, and you're the second cross-country jaunter lol.

And Bizzy, I wish I had done that during my drives. My front bumper is no longer pristine lol
I think there should be some kind of a prize or something. :hi5:

· Premium Member
5,332 Posts
it sorta looks silly, but definitely helps... but make sure it's blue painters tape (3m is the best)... regular masking tape or similar WILL completely ruin your car b/c it's a bitch to take off after the sun hits the glue on the tape... here are some examples and an extreme example lol... you can write on it too ;)

· Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
it sorta looks silly, but definitely helps... but make sure it's blue painters tape (3m is the best)... regular masking tape or similar WILL completely ruin your car b/c it's a bitch to take off after the sun hits the glue on the tape... here are some examples and an extreme example lol... you can write on it too ;)

Does the blue painter's tape's adhesive strip the finish or wax?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.