Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Called my salesguy today to see where the delivery of my black ex 6mt stood. "Oh I was just looking for you in the online yellow pages, I lost your cell phone number. Your car's here." :confused: "Oh and we had to trade out for it, it's got 135 miles on it." :cursing: Originally back in August they were going to do this but couldn't find one to my specs so they reserved one on the line. "They pushed delivery of all the ex's back to November and we knew you wouldn't want that."

Went to the dealership and looked over the CR-Z and it's about as perfect as it could be. I also noticed that it had the splash gaurds installed on it, (which I didn't mention until the papers were signed). They wanted to go through with the original deal which included a trade of a (and I'm ashamed to say this) '05 Dodge Neon I inherited from one of my kids. We did the deal.:rolleyes:

Gotta say the difference between eco and sport modes is like night and day! Build quality is outstanding for a car in this price range. Wife likes it but as is the case with all of "my" cars she's afraid to drive it!:think:

One question to those with the manual, WHERE IS THE CLUTCH TAKE UP POINT? Only drove it about 10 miles tonight but man! Starting out in first there is not a hint as to where the clutch engages so I'm over revving like crazy. I've driven for some 43 years, everything up to 8 ton trucks (no synchromesh even), and never felt (or not felt as the case may be) a clutch like this. What with the eco mode shift up-shift down indicators the clutch and audio whiz bangs, this car is gonna take some getting used to. Kinda fun though!:grin:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nice, I found the clutch on mine (just drove it home today) engaged on the high side. Once you feel it out it's quite easy to get a feel for it. Took a few try's for me to actually feel the engagement point. A lot different from my turbocharged Mazdaspeed 3. There will be a little learning curve for me. At one point I thought I stalled it but it just went into electric mode at a stop light when I went into neutral. Definitely something new for me...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Any time I drive an unfamiliar car (and triply so for a bike as they have a nearly non-existent zone of clutch engagement which you must find to get good low speed control), I do the idle test. Find a flat parking lot, put it in first and get the car up to speed (i.e. fully engaged) 10 times with no throttle and no lurching. It helps on a cold start when the car is idling faster. This is how I pinpoint where I want the seat positioned.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!!! really happy to hear you got the car... i don't have a CR-Z yet, but on the test drive it felt really soft/smooth like other Honda's i've driven... it takes some getting used to especially if you're used to driving with an upgraded clutch or a car with the CMC (Clutch Master Cylinder) going bad...

in Sport the throttle has the most response so i think the Eco would take a tiny bit of getting used to as far as throttle/clutch positioning...

congrats again :cheer:

Nice, I found the clutch on mine (just drove it home today) engaged on the high side. Once you feel it out it's quite easy to get a feel for it. Took a few try's for me to actually feel the engagement point. A lot different from my turbocharged Mazdaspeed 3. There will be a little learning curve for me. At one point I thought I stalled it but it just went into electric mode at a stop light when I went into neutral. Definitely something new for me...
you stalled in a hybrid :giggle:

·
Registered
579 Posts
It took me a bit to get used to the clutch on the crz too. On my previous car, I had a very heavy and low engaging clutch. It was great for power shifting and fast clutch pressing. Its what i learned how to drive a manual with and I got very used to it. As soon as it got in the crz, i found it was much higher and softer. I had to rethink things. But it's much smoother than my other car was. It's more forgiving then my previous car. Now, after a while, I've figured it out and it's very nice.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I guess its the electric but the clutch engage lacks the feel that Im used to. You will find it but it takes practice. Also the gears are veery long and forgiving making low speed and stop and go relaxing. It feels recy cuz it dosent disengage dramatically when shifting. Electric giving it power I think.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess its the electric but the clutch engage lacks the feel that Im used to. You will find it but it takes practice. Also the gears are veery long and forgiving making low speed and stop and go relaxing. It feels recy cuz it dosent disengage dramatically when shifting. Electric giving it power I think.
I agree with you 100%! I bought the CR-Z to balance out my supercharged jeep's mileage.:cry: The jeep drives like a truck (duh) so you goose the throttle a little and let out the clutch about 1/2 way where you find a definite catch so it's back on the throttle and away you go (unless of course you are off road in 4 wheel low and then you don't even use the clutch):thumbsup:.

Detailed this little gem today and gotta say it's a really nice little car. Lots of great details on it and just so well put together (again the jeep though a great specialty vehicle needs interior and exterior pieces reattached daily!:cry:).

Couldn't resist a highway run (sport mode) this AM and was really shocked! This things low end grunt is GREAT! Forget 0-60, 0-40 goes by quick! It really REALLY feels like a machine with much better credentials. Right now I couldn't be more convinced that I made the right choice. I'll be installing an "invisible bra" (ON THE HONDA!:pat:) this Saturday and then it goes into daily use. For right now I am still too worried that that low front end will be damaged by on the road shrapnel.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Couldn't resist a highway run (sport mode) this AM and was really shocked! This things low end grunt is GREAT! Forget 0-60, 0-40 goes by quick! It really REALLY feels like a machine with much better credentials.
I think you hit it on the nose. 0-40 is extremely quick which is what makes it fun to drive as a daily commuter. Nice tone to the exhaust also. I think I have turned more eyes when I'm going 5mpg or so and have a little room in front of me, hit it and at 40in no time. Disclaimer, of course in a 40mph or over speed zone.

It is also not too bad at 55 or 60 and needing to pass someone. Have enough torque to hit it and be at 70-75 pretty quick with a nice rumble coming out of the exhaust. That also gets a few looks. Especially if they notice the hybrid badge.

I... like it. It is what it is advertised to be. A sporty Hybrid.

- Storm Silver CR-Z CVT EX/W NAVI -All the exterior/Interior options - 17" Rims/Tires etc., minus Nose Mask.
- Previous Car = CIVIC Hybrid EX/W NAVI and HFP Package - 18 HFP Rims/Tires and body moldings. Really liked it but always in ECON mode. Lov'n the CR-Z. Wifey too. We are 49 year old empty nesters.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.