Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys, long time no see. Good to see that this forum has gained a significant amount of members since I last was here because the more discussion going on, the better.

On that note, I need a lot of input. As stated in my "review," I'm no car expert. I just do the basic research to figure out what meets my wants and needs when it comes to cars.

I've discussed my idea of purchasing this car with many people since I first test drove one. Now six months later, I still prefer it over my other options. I'm also getting it as a CVT because I'm consistently sitting in stop and go traffic with school and work.

Anyway, this is what I'm going for:

Model
2011 CR-Z EX
$21,555
Colors
Exterior: Crystal Black Pearl/Premium White Pearl
Interior: Gray
Accessories[3]
Exterior
Bodyside Molding
$200
Tailgate Spoiler
$431
Interior
All-Season Floor Mats*
$99
Illuminated Door Sill Trim
$235

Subtotal
$22,520
Destination and handling
$750
Total MSRP as built $23,270

I dropped the navigation system because I've been fine just using my iPhone. I figured looking at directions beforehand is better and cheaper than relying on my car. My question is whether or not I should add something else on or take something off because it's not worth it. The illuminated door sill trim is a treat to myself but I'm on the fence about the spoilers. I've yet to see them in person so I was wondering if they made a significant difference. I work downtown and go to school where students consistently squeeze through the parking lot with their backpacks, would a body side molding help?

Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think those are fair prices. I had an alarm system and the autodim mirrors w/ compass installed in my EX CVT. The alarm system... I think I could've done without, although the security is nice for peace of mind. I got the autodim mirrors after several people on the forums complained of being blinded by rear nights. The rear bar in the back helps block out those lights though, and my autodim mirrors don't engage that often because of it (or at least, I haven't noticed). Overall though, I do like my autodim mirror.

And, I totally agree that the navi system is not worth it. It makes customizing the car settings a little easier and gives easier control of music playback when a device is hooked up on the USB. But like you, I much prefer my smartphone (Motorola Droid) to do my navigation since I think Google Maps and Google Navigation blow all other navi software away. Also, I only use the USB for charging... I much prefer using the aux cable on my Motorola Droid so I can get Pandora instead of the music stored on the memory card. Just buy a phone mount.

Floor mats: I plan on getting the weathertech ones in a few months instead of the honda ones. Some poeple here feel the weathertech are better quality, although they don't latch in like the honda ones.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Nice to see you back! :)
Looks like a good selection of options. I don't think the moldings are going to help against backpacks and doors. But I could be wrong. Some of the Honda moldings are higher up the door panel so can see how they may catch a door. But the cr-z ones are fairly low so I think they are just aesthetic. good luck on your car hunt!

-Hoi

·
Registered
873 Posts
Great to see you online again....:thumbsup: I agree with what your getting, may also want to add the splash guards, just my opinion.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Not sure if the prices for accessories you show already reflect this, but the Honda web site only reflects the hardware price.... and they will charge you for installation. Big money maker for the dealer, and the Salesperson makes a nice commision on the add-ons.

( I know this because on my deal we refused to pay for labor on accessories, but the wrote the deal as if we paid full price for them, and discounted the car more. The sales manager asked if it was OK to do this so the sales guy who helped us gets a bigger piece of the add-ons. )

I also really like the little armrest, very nice to have but its really little.

Your method and mine could not be more different. I stopped by the dealer to see how comfortable the car was, and bought it a couple hours later when my wife got off of work.
I was cross shopping a bunch of cars, and decided to go cheap. Like many others, I had a CRX-Si that I loved driving back in the day. There is no real comparison between the two cars, but the "feel" is the same. The old Si would seem primitive today, but it was a hoot.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@EmptieHand: Thanks, I'll look more into the autodim and pay more attention to the car when I test drive it one more time. I'll do a little more research on the floor mats too.

@VTEC Mini: Bahahaa, yes. It was a small question that kind of blew up.

@hoisumguo: Thanks! Ohh okay I see. Should I just invest in a clear bra?

@CRX-SiRT: Don't have a problem with puddles are rain in my area o:

@lilfeat: Thanks, I didn't know. I'm looking for a practical car that's a little fun and the CR-Z fell into that category. I KNOW I'm beyond indecisive so I shopped around a little more. People have talked about the battery dying out within 10 years but that doesn't bother me because I see myself with a newer card by then.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Skip the floor mats. Weathertech for the win! The Honda cargo area mat is fine for the rear unless you carry ice blocks. The Weathertechs rock the front foot wells very nicely for the same $.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Welcome back =P and glad to see your getting the CRZ you wanted!!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. I went in today and it's actually a pretty funny story. It's down the street from my gym and I came in a pink tee shirt, shorts, running shoes and a Victoria's Secret PINK water bottle and notebook for well, notes. I could tell that they were thinking I was completely out of place until I actually sat down and talked about the cars. Long story short, I was more well-informed about their cars then they were and they looked kind of intimidated. During my first visit, they completely hustle me about the price. This time around, I told them I didn't want to pay a penny over $25k OTD and that's including navigation and other packages as well. I was going to lower my asking price if it didn't come with it. They didn't even question my request.

UNFORTUNATELY, their out of black CV-T's in California apparently which is fine, I think they're whatever to drive so I might end up getting a manual. However, the dealership did carry the sexy as hell Mugen body kit. Damn, the base model has nothing on it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm guessing that's Capitol Honda, right? I am looking for one as well, the pricing has been less stellar than yours. What was included in the 25k price, and was it for MT or CVT?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm guessing that's Capitol Honda, right? I am looking for one as well, the pricing has been less stellar than yours. What was included in the 25k price, and was it for MT or CVT?
Base CVT EX model with navigation I'm not sure what else. They hassled me about the price the first time too because I was a chick and knew a little less. After looking at into other cars, coming back with more waaaay knowledge than the dealers (thanks to this forum!), telling them that I didn't need it today because I was looking at other options and that I was willing to wait until I got the exact car I want at the price I want... well. Like I said, they didn't even think twice when I said nothing more than $25K OTD. They immediately told me, "Yeah, I think we can work with that." I'm quite proud that a 19 year old girl who looked like a little frilly princess was able to intimidate them. Hahaha.

PS: Don't even bother with Stevens Creek. Idk how they sell cars, they suck at dealing with customers.

The Capitol Honda is charging $10k for their Mugen kit. Thanks for letting me know it's going for 7k else where.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Mugen kit is listed at $8399 at John Eagle Honda in Houston, TX, and I thought that was high!!! There's a thread from a vendor on here somewhere about that, isn't there? I don't have time to search now, but it was around 7k or just under, I think. The one at John Eagle is red as were the only two other CRZ's they had. Selection is getting a bit thin.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts