Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Dudes and Dudettes my question of the day is can I install a Honda factory sub-woofer on a base CR-Z. I know they come factory in the EX model but do I need to get the wiring and different panels? Or would it be better to just go aftermarket.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I havent taken mine apart or read a ton on the base model head unit so all I can throw out is my best guess, but at least its free :p
I would suppose that the EX head unit has a form of an amplifier built in, we know it has higher wattage than the base model at least and it would make sense that it would be set up to supply the nessesary wattage to the EX subwoofer as well. Hence the problem you might run into is installing the sub but not having any power to run it. Ultimatley then you would have to get a standalone amplifier as well and if your going to do that you might as well get at least a 10 inch woofer if not a 12 designed for compact enclosure because it won't take up much more space but the result will be that with the bigger woofer you will be able to reproduce lower low-tones better.
Long story short I would say go aftermarket thats what I plan to do, because its unlikely the stock head unit is set up to drive a woofer even if you install a stock one.
Good luck!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Probably be a lot easier to go hit a pawn shop and pick up a little bazooka bass tube. They don't take up much space and many are self powered and in our little car 8 inch is more than enough

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.