Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a HUGE shot in the dark, I know, but has anyone figured out a way to adjust the gain of the subwoofer through the factory amp without the OEM head unit?

Here's my predicament: I have an aftermarket head unit. In the OEM setup, you adjust the sub gain on the factory stereo, which passes that along to the factory amp.

So now with my aftermarket head unit, the factory amp receives no gain input and just assumes the gain should be 0db. The factory sub still works, I just can't adjust it's gain.

The typical way to get around this is to add a subwoofer amp and bypass the factory amp entirely. I can do this, but I'd rather not.

My question is does anyone know of a way I can "talk" to the factory amp and give it gain information? I'm in the process of looking at the wiring schematics, but I was wondering if anyone has tried to so what I am.

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
7,871 Posts
Why do you want the under powered factory amp and speaker when you have a much better head unit that may have built in Gain for a sub or you can add a better sub in the factory enclosure with a properly matched amplifier and have better control of the whole system?

My fully factory system the gain for the sub is useless this is why I call it under powered. If you have already replaced the head unit finish the job and make a nice matched system and replace all of it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Counter point: why would I do all that if I'm perfectly happy with the stock sub, speakers, and amp?

I hear what you're saying but I don't really need all that. The stock sub is more than enough for me, and it sounded perfect when I was able to adjust the gain.

·
Administrator
7,871 Posts
Your car your choice good luck with getting it to work. Just not sure how you would integrate the Factory amp into an aftermarket head and have all the adjust-ability considering that amp is only for the sub and you have removed what controlled it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is a HUGE shot in the dark, I know, but has anyone figured out a way to adjust the gain of the subwoofer through the factory amp without the OEM head unit?

Here's my predicament: I have an aftermarket head unit. In the OEM setup, you adjust the sub gain on the factory stereo, which passes that along to the factory amp.

So now with my aftermarket head unit, the factory amp receives no gain input and just assumes the gain should be 0db. The factory sub still works, I just can't adjust it's gain.

The typical way to get around this is to add a subwoofer amp and bypass the factory amp entirely. I can do this, but I'd rather not.

My question is does anyone know of a way I can "talk" to the factory amp and give it gain information? I'm in the process of looking at the wiring schematics, but I was wondering if anyone has tried to so what I am.

Thanks in advance.
The factory amp gets its signal through passive or inductive system on the front speakers.
I have a Kenwood in my car and it actually does provide power to the factory subwoofer and I can control the gain on it. I am actually guessing that you got either the wrong head unit and somebody sold you a unit that does not support a subwoofer. In other words they had unit itself would have a adjustment for the subwoofer. When I installed mine I got it from crutchfield with all the instructions and everything else to make it work.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The factory amp gets its signal through passive or inductive system on the front speakers.
I have a Kenwood in my car and it actually does provide power to the factory subwoofer and I can control the gain on it. I am actually guessing that you got either the wrong head unit and somebody sold you a unit that does not support a subwoofer. In other words they had unit itself would have a adjustment for the subwoofer. When I installed mine I got it from crutchfield with all the instructions and everything else to make it work.
I actually got my head unit from Crutchfield too with all the accessories and instructions to make it work. And it does have support for subwoofer control, there's just nothing for it to control.

I actually forgot I made this post, so it's a good time to mention I ended up buying a low power amp and splicing it into the sub leads out of the factory amp harness. In the future I think I'll end up modifying the enclosure and putting an upgraded sub in, so this was overall a good venture.

Thanks everyone for your help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts