Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on information I picked up here in the last few weeks, with very little prior knowledge to detailing, I was able to give my Z an exterior detail job with confidence. So thanks to everyone that answered my questions!

Here are the products I used:

Dish soap, for the initial wash with sponge & 2-bucket method
Meguiar's clay bar
Meguiar's Quik Detailer (as lube for clay bar)
Meguiar's microfiber towel
Meguiar's cleaner wax
Foam applicator
Meguiar's deep crystal carwash
Meguiar's hot shine tire spray
Meguiar's hot rims wheel cleaner

I do not feel comfortable yet to do a buff/polish job on my own, especially on a brand new car which is why I did not include that in the process. Maybe next year :p

Here is the final product:

Overall the products were easy to use, and did what they're supposed to do. It took me the better part of 2 days to complete the process, and although tedious it was worth the effort. The finish on the car looks much glossier and feels 100% smoother than it was originally. A cloth will slide off the hood on it's own now, where before it was like dragging it across and it would cling to the surface.

I've also noticed that the micro scratches that were on the car are much less visible now, and in some places looks like they are gone completely.

As a beginner to detailing, I think the Meguiar's brand is of decent quality and will probably continue to use them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Looks very tasty. I like the list of product. Only thing I can suggest is not using the dish soap and getting a proper automotive soap, such as The Megs Soft Wash shampoo.

Dish soap will kill all your handwork next time you wash it, as it's too strong and will rip the protective polish/wax layer off the car if you're not careful.

For the future then...

I'd suggest a really good quality polish to smooth that paint, just before you wax it.
Personally I use the Autoglym brand (Don't know if you get that across the pond), with Collinite 915 wax to follow. As a special treat I might break out a soft wax afterward, such as Dodo Juice Purple Haze to get that paint to really shine.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Nice job Sohcsol! There is nothing like a shiny black car!! I put a coat of Meguiar's NXT on my red Zee today and I was quite impressed. ....easy on and easy off!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the compliments!

looks good bro. but a couple days? such a small car.
Yes, I spent probably only 4-5 hours each day, and most of that was spent doing the clay bar. This was my first time using clay and I probably did a little more than was needed, but wanted to make sure I got good results! Plus some of the contours on the front and rear bumper are pretty hard to get into, both with clay and the wax causing it to take quite a bit of time for me.

Only thing I can suggest is not using the dish soap and getting a proper automotive soap, such as The Megs Soft Wash shampoo.
Thanks for the tip! But the only reason I did use dish soap for the first wash was to get rid of any wax or residue left over by the dealership, and so that the clay bar would work on the actual clearcoat. I put the wax on after to protect the paint, and will use the deep crystal car wash for future washes.

I will take a look around for that product you mentioned, since I will need to do a polish job sometime later on. Thanks for the recommendation :grin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.