Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have been doing my research and that included speaking to the service manager at the local dealership. I was asking about long term ownership costs. These are important to me due to the high number of miles I drive annually, as well as I tend to keep my cars for many years. I drive 25-28k miles each year (100/day for work), on two lane country roads 50-65 mph- one hour to work and of course one hour back with only a few stops. (Limited interstate and city driving.)

Something that really bothered me was his comment about the cost/frequency of IMA battery replacement. He stated that battery life span would depend on mileage driven and driving style.. which is vague. At $4500 (his stated cost) that really cuts into the economy portion of the vehicle. He went on to say that one of his customers in an Insight just had his second set installed at 200k miles. Well folks that is @$9000 dollars in eight years of ownership in addition to the expected costs.

My question is... Does this fit with the general knowledge and expectation of the owners here? If this is correct, it's a deal breaker for me.

I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Thank you,

Michael

·
Registered
22 Posts
I currently own a 2001 Insight and have replaced the battey twice. I just sold my "other" 2001 Insight and I replaced the battery in it twice too. Both had less than 100k mi.

In all fairness Honda had a problem with the charging board that burned up the batteries. Both were replaced under warranty. Honda increased the warranty to 10yr 150k mles.....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Comment .... and interestingly there seems to be a growing aftermarket offering for replacement batteries / conversions for hybrid vehicles.. we'll probably have an aftermarket LION battery available that is less than HONDA MRSP by the time we'll need it. If that option does materialize it would be lighter or have higher capacity and be able to handle cycling much better than the Nickle Metal Hydride in the Vehicle design today.

RJ

·
Registered
807 Posts
Sadly, Texas is not a CARB state. However, I'd like to move to Cali at some point - does it go by the state the car was purchased in, or what?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
My friend and I both have/had 2003 Honda Civic Hybrids. His battery died at 215,000 miles. Mine just turned over 220,000 and is still going strong.-
Nice. I had my Insight for 111,000 miles with ZERO issues. That car is still going strong as far as I know.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Sadly, Texas is not a CARB state.
Don't say that. I was in CA and dealing with CARB is not fun and a HUGE problem with anyone who likes to modify their car or build enthusiast cars such as replicas and restomods.

However, I'd like to move to Cali at some point
Really? Why? Everyone I know is either leaving or wish they could. If you do move there, be sure you can speak the language.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Don't say that. I was in CA and dealing with CARB is not fun and a HUGE problem with anyone who likes to modify their car or build enthusiast cars such as replicas and restomods.
Not an issue for me in the slightest; not a tuner. I believe that if you want a fast car, you should buy one. Applying thousands of dollars in crap to an underpowered car won't make it magically awesome. :)

Really? Why? Everyone I know is either leaving or wish they could. If you do move there, be sure you can speak the language.
For the better weather, tech industry, etc.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Im vacationing in Palm Springs CA right now.. There are about 8" of snow on the ground back home in the middle of the country. I'm sunburned and was sweating all day here. CA is awesome.
And, this is seriously the perfect place for the cr-z. Flat for daily driving.. Then a quick jump to the mountains for some fun sports driving.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I wish I could move to California. Living in SF is a dream I'd like to experience someday.

Sadly, Texas is not a CARB state. However, I'd like to move to Cali at some point - does it go by the state the car was purchased in, or what?
Warranty goes by the state the car is purchased from.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.