Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1,285 Posts
Any way to get around this without changing the head? Can the stock mani be cut off and new tubular header installed?

I'm very umfamiliar with newer Honda engines.

· Registered
1,285 Posts
If there's a will there's a way. It's going to have to be overcome for the ones who want to turbocharge. The engine's size is too small to install a remote turbo, like the 02 Camaro and Trans-Am guys.

· Registered
872 Posts
Any way to get around this without changing the head? Can the stock mani be cut off and new tubular header installed?

I'm very umfamiliar with newer Honda engines.
I think they both are removable. From watching the HKS videos, the have everything disassembled. I was able to crop some images out...

Unless they have an completely different setup them we have, it looks doable. That is the stock head and block.

· Premium Member
5,332 Posts
the last image is the head leading to the 1st-cat... perfect picture to answer the OP's question...

*EDIT* guys it's not that complicated... in some ways it's easier to mount a turbo on this design... you don't have to worry about getting each runner the same etc... if Civic's R18's did it, then the CR-Z will do it too...

· Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I'll rip off the heat shield and take a look. I'll let you all know and take some pictures. adding a turbo to a manifold integrated head is gonna be pricey. you would either have to have the head removed and a flanged or have it welded in the car. either way a removable manifold will be cheaper and make more power.

· Registered
1,285 Posts
the last image is the head leading to the 1st-cat... perfect picture to answer the OP's question...

*EDIT* guys it's not that complicated... in some ways it's easier to mount a turbo on this design... you don't have to worry about getting each runner the same etc... if Civic's R18's did it, then the CR-Z will do it too...
I never said it's complicated. Turbocharging is pretty straight forward if you've had any experience with them. And the exhaust manifold (not the 'head') in the pic just shows how easy it'd be to install a turbo.

I'm waiting 'till warranty dies.

· Registered
1,285 Posts
hmmm so all id need is an adapter to install my 16g. now i gotta find where i can source some flanges.
You'll need a flange for the turbo, one for the wastegate (if it's external), a place for a recirculation valve on the intake (Not a blowoff valve-they cause rich conditions while shifting and can cause damage) and of course an intercooler. A 20G will need a cooler, preferably air to air.

· Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just like you ive dealt with turbo cars. i had a 95 talon awd. the major hurdle to getting a turbo on this car is gonna be the flange for the turbo. the 16g i have is internally gated and im gonna use a o2 sensor housing with dump tube from the talon. everything else is just gonna be mockup and build.

and with this car and most hondas a blow off valve is fine if running a map sensor and not one like the talon which reads the air on the intake not the intercooler piping.

· Registered
1,285 Posts
just like you ive dealt with turbo cars. i had a 95 talon awd. the major hurdle to getting a turbo on this car is gonna be the flange for the turbo. the 16g i have is internally gated and im gonna use a o2 sensor housing with dump tube from the talon. everything else is just gonna be mockup and build.

and with this car and most hondas a blow off valve is fine if running a map sensor and not one like the talon which reads the air on the intake not the intercooler piping.
:hi5:

I'm not very familiar with new honda engines. I'm more in the B series knowledge. And you're correct. If you're using a map sensor a blow off is fine. Mitsu and Subaru need recirculating valves. But honestly, I'd go with a quiet valve. :blush:

Have fun. If you do this, please post pics of the progress, if you can. Thanks!

· Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:hi5:

I'm not very familiar with new honda engines. I'm more in the B series knowledge. And you're correct. If you're using a map sensor a blow off is fine. Mitsu and Subaru need recirculating valves. But honestly, I'd go with a quiet valve. :blush:

Have fun. If you do this, please post pics of the progress, if you can. Thanks!
oh for sure. i probably wont be 100% serious about it till after winter. right now im just trying to source parts and not break the bank doing so. id like to spend under $1500 on the kit before getting it tuned. so far its looking like ill be able to.

the other big question is where to bring it to be tuned. AMS is an hour south and i trust their turbo tuning but they dont work on many hondas. or King Motorsports, an hour north, not sure about their turbo tuning but they are awesome at tuning hondas. i guess itll be who gives me the right price and wants the publicity of being one of the first turbo crz tuners. lol :thumbsup:

· Premium Member
5,332 Posts
I never said it's complicated. Turbocharging is pretty straight forward if you've had any experience with them. And the exhaust manifold (not the 'head') in the pic just shows how easy it'd be to install a turbo.
there isn't a picture of the exhaust manifold anywhere in this thread... this picture is the head on the exhaust side where the cat bolts up to...

· Registered
1,285 Posts
there isn't a picture of the exhaust manifold anywhere in this thread... this picture is the head on the exhaust side where the cat bolts up to...

Yep, you're right. I had to take a second look. Sorry, bizzy. :blush:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.