Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

EX vs Base mirrors

15K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  voxleo 
#1 ·
Anyone know if the base models are prewired for heated side mirrors??? I am thinking of buying a set of EX mirrors because the dew/condensation on the base model mirrors are pretty bad they basically make them useless right now.

#3 ·
Yeah, I know how to remove mirrors. I was just more interested in the wire harnesses within the door panel. Some manufactures put all the wire harnesses on all cars some only on cars with that feature. Before I buy the mirrors and find out the necessary wires aren't there and eff myself over I'd rather ask.

#4 ·
There's no "vestigial" wiring for heated mirrors in the BASE model, but you can tap into the rear defrost circuit to get power to the mirror heating elements. Then it would at least turn on using right button. You would have to run only one wire to each mirror, since there's a ground wire already in the doors that you can ground your heater circuit to. You might want also to change the fuse for the rear defrost from a 30 amp fuse to a 40 amp fuse, since that's what the EX models use. I have a DIY for power folding mirrors that you can use as a guide to run your wires through the doors.

#6 ·
After a search I'm bringing this thread back up.

I got a great deal back in August on a 2015 CR-Z base model. One thing I really miss from my last Honda (An Insight EX model) is the heated exterior mirrors. So I'm considering upgrading the unheated mirrors on my base CR-Z to EX-style heated mirrors. I have yet to pull the mirrors off and look at the wiring harness, but when I looked up the door harness and mirror part numbers for a 2015 base model vs. EX, I get the identical part numbers. This leads me to believe there may in fact be "vestigal" wiring already in place.

Has anybody done this upgrade to a base model or at least looked into it?

#13 ·
Sorry I haven't been on..been dealing with life's drama...i.e..divorce....now about them heated rear view mirrors... to be honest never really paid that much attention to the fact they may be heated as mine have never frosted up..so hasn't been a issue for me...I will look to see if in fact they are heated..tks for the reply's

#14 ·
anyone know if the mirrors are the same across the model years? I have a z shaped long narrow driveway that is the bane of existence for anyone trying to back out of it and today I mashed the passenger side mirror at the first bend in the z.

there's an oem used one on ebay but its listed as '14, '15 model years that I'll grab if it is the same as the '13, but I wanted to be sure first...

#22 ·
There's a bunch of em on ebay, but I dunno about how good they are...many of them costing less than a used oem assembly by about 30 bucks. I've put aftermarket stuff onto my civic and an impala mirror before. Sometimes the fitment is just a smidgen off where it should be which puts things out of whack, so it's probably best to go OEM even if I have to paint it.

But WOW there is so much inconsistent info on these cars - nobody knows anything about them except those of us that actually own one, it seems. Almost every single listing on ebay has some wrong info in it, presumably because the people listing the parts are just going from what wrong information is in something else. There are clearly two black wires in a lot of the photos in listings which say their mirror is not heated, no matter what the year.

In case anyone else needs to know a visual cue, I did a broader search for comparison of the mirrors and of the 111 results that came up there were enough that were photographed off the vehicle to try to see if a pattern emerged. Looks like the various mirrors --including the drivers side, despite the extended view on the later models -- will physically fit the bolts across all years, but the key is in the wiring harness - blue vs white. Blue connector looks like it has a different pinout, not even enough contacts to match up with the white plug. The one thing that seems fairly consistent from the pics is that the blue harness has fewer wires while the white has the two extra black ones. Stands to reason that Honda would make some way to identify the base from the EX assembly from a glance, so I am guessing that is it, unless anyone can say that their base model has a white connector or their EX has the blue one.

If someone has a car that breaks that logic, I guess you can tell trim level the by the VIN# if they have that info available.

All I know is, it actually physically pains me in the heart to see photos of the donor vehicles all mashed up and mangled like that. It makes me sad. Poor little cr-z's....

And if anyone can figure out what the heck white stickers mean on the bottoms, I'm very curious to know - DA, DB, DT? Or maybe not even a D but some symbol that looks like one with a little hyphen line through the straight side of the D? I din't find any consistency in that pattern, but maybe my brain is overcooked.

#23 ·
#24 ·
Also, if you order a new OEM mirror, they are specific to colour for the part number, so no painting to match body colour needed.
well painting was because i was thinking used oem, new is way out of budget at 440 bucks...
And as far as alternative markets coming into play, hopefully the fact that they are selling in the US will limit them to mostly bring USDM parts unless otherwise noted. How many wires are on the power folding ones? Does it sacrifice a heat option for that overseas? (if i had a powerfolding mirror, I might not be needing to replace this one, but then again maybe it would have been the front panel alerting me to the proximity of the wall instead... )

#29 ·
So, update: upon further investigating, I was actually able to replace the glass mirror part, as the housing wasn't totally destroyed, just a little cracked mostly along the reflector bit and I didn't need to buy the whole assembly at all, so that turned out alright with a lot of superglue and a little patience, as the mechanism inside didn't seem to be damaged either.
Huzzah!

I DO like the longer mirrors in this car though. I've adjusted nicely to the positioning of the mirrors being set a little wider now, so that slightly dodgy spot blocked by the side pillar is less of an issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.