Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rumors around the internet have put the estimated Honda CRZ Top Speed at 120 MPH.

Do you think the number will change? Do you expect it to be higher or lower?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Top Speed: Does It Really Matter?

Except for an occasional pass, I rarely drive at speeds over 100 mph. My S2000 can get to 155+ mph, but the highest I've seen is 120, and then, only for a few seconds.

Back in the 80's, I got a ticket for 130+ in a Ferrari 400 Superamerica. Although I beat the ticket, it scared me enough to drive at realistic speeds under 100.

So as long as the CR-Z scoots briskly to 100, I'll be happy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree the top speed is not as important as acceleration and with a 1.5l engine I dont know how much they can push it for.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I assume that this number will be governed or will the 120MPH be the governed number? I'm not really sure what most cars are governed at as I rarely if ever reach the top of a cars governed limit - no need.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Top speed isn't that big of a deal as long as the car can get there fast!!

I know some cars really bog down after 65 mp/h+ ...hope the CRZ can keep up its power past that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Top speed isn't that big of a deal as long as the car can get there fast!!

I know some cars really bog down after 65 mp/h+ ...hope the CRZ can keep up its power past that.
keep its power past 65mph? I doubt it, I'd have rather have the top speed be 75mph but be able to get there pretty quick -- but I don't want or need Corvette type acceleration/power/speed with this car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Where I live the speed limit on some freeways is 75 MPH so I for one need to be able to go at least 80-85 to stay with the flow of traffic.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Top speed will likely be drag limited.
I had my Fit up to 115 and it took a looong while to get there.
I would have pushed some more, but ran out of road, and most likely hp.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
No one needs to go past 70 MPH.
Where I live the speed limit on some freeways is 75 MPH so I for one need to be able to go at least 80-85 to stay with the flow of traffic.

My 135i is limited to 155, most european car are limited to 155 here in the US.
x2

speaking from experience with multiple Honda's and everyone that has modded them should know this as well... Honda's NEVER used to come limited in speed... the only limitation was in their rpms... they could only go as fast as the power of the motor would take them... add more power and you can go faster...

as far as i know this changed in the most recent Honda's... at least from 2006+ models... in Canada it was dyno tested that the '07+ CSX-S was limited to 133mph... my stock '06 Si was dyno tested, speed limited to 157mph @ 7,100rpms... keep in mind the rpm limiter kicks in at 8,300... when it's limited the engine is automatically bogged down to a lower rpm, only then it allows the driver to regain control with the throttle... 5th gear (rpm limited) takes you to 133mph then you throw 6th and the lack of power doesn't allow you to go much more than that...
personally i've had mine to 134mph (on a track of course) and i let off b/c it wasn't moving up very fast and i was running out of track...

my guess is that even with a limiter on the CR-Z the lack of power won't allow it to go much past 120mph, if even reaching that...

·
Registered
81 Posts
I wouldn't wanna do a top speed run with a CR-Z on a dyno, maybe with really light resistance, but not real world.
Real world resistance the motor will get really warm unless you have climate controlled shop with mega fans, to keep it cool at full load for a long time would be pretty sketchy.

In theory at least.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Top speed is alledgedly 126mph, on a test drive, which took in a "private runway" ;o) , I took it too 99mph with no effort at all in sport mode! It flew!! I was really impressed considering I presently drive a 2003 Civic Type R!

·
Registered
239 Posts
The sprint from 0 to 62 mph takes 9.9 seconds and the top speed is 200 km/h (124 mph). According to AutoZine.

According to Fastestlaps site,
Max speed 124 miles/h (200 km/h)
0-100 km/h 10.1 seconds

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.