Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if this just my CR-Z or if everyone experiences this.

I almost always drive in econ mode to and from work. Many times when the car is at a stop when I take my foot off the brake then hit the accelerator the car lurches forward a little for a split second, then no response from the engine for about .5-1 second, THEN it accelerates. Does anyone else experience this? Is this normal...? I realize the elect assist is kicking in, but the behavior does not feel normal at all.

Another thing it has been doing a lot lately is the engine will fire back up when I'm at a stop and am not moving, and haven't moved my foot off the brake. I read in another thread this can happen to keep the A/C going, and another thing about the temp outside being higher than the cabin temp, but I'm in cold weather and using the heater most times.

Any thoughts?

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
:thumbsup:
I'm wondering if this just my CR-Z or if everyone experiences this.

I almost always drive in econ mode to and from work. Many times when the car is at a stop when I take my foot off the brake then hit the accelerator the car lurches forward a little for a split second, then no response from the engine for about .5-1 second, THEN it accelerates. Does anyone else experience this? Is this normal...? I realize the elect assist is kicking in, but the behavior does not feel normal at all.

Another thing it has been doing a lot lately is the engine will fire back up when I'm at a stop and am not moving, and haven't moved my foot off the brake. I read in another thread this can happen to keep the A/C going, and another thing about the temp outside being higher than the cabin temp, but I'm in cold weather and using the heater most times.

Any thoughts?
I traded in my 07 Civic Hybrid for the CR-Z. Does the same thing. Autostop/Start is what gives the IMA system its Partially Zero Emissions tag. It is something that saves a lot of gas, but can be a little finicky. You just have to learn how to adjust your driving habits and understand it is not going to go from off to 2000K rpm in .5 or 1 second. It is not a Tesla..

:cry:

Autostop/start is a great environmental feature. But, if you want to bybass it in most circumstances, put it to Sport mode. Autostop may still work in some instances, but with your lights on, AC on, Stereo blasting, it will normally keep the engine on to keep power to your accessories.

As to autostarting when still at a stop. The program logic looks at the environmentals you are running. Shuts some down but, in the case of having HID lights on, stereo using its 360wats, defrosters on etc, the logic may decide to turn the engine back on at a stop to ensure you still have those accessories.

Autostop is one of my favorite features. Wish they would put autostop on those dirty diesal trucks blowing crap up your nose when sitting behing them at a light.

:hi5: :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
my guess is the bump from pressing the throttle is from being in Econ and the DBW (Drive by Wire) slowing the throttle response down... as for the starting from a stop... sounds like either the engine is getting too cold and needs to stay at operating temp or the heater in the car needs the juice from the engine... even tho the engine gets pretty hot when running, when stopped and in very cold temps the engine can actually cool down enough to drop below optimal running conditions...

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
my guess is the bump from pressing the throttle is from being in Econ and the DBW (Drive by Wire) slowing the throttle response down... as for the starting from a stop... sounds like either the engine is getting too cold and needs to stay at operating temp or the heater in the car needs the juice from the engine... even tho the engine gets pretty hot when running, when stopped and in very cold temps the engine can actually cool down enough to drop below optimal running conditions...
Yep, also true. Autostop will work much better in the summer unless you have the AC on full blast. I have definitely noticed this as part of the equation.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I usually drive mine in normal mode and it will not auto stop in cold temps until the cold temp coolant light is out and the cabin has warmed a bit. I don't know what the cabin temp threshold is, but with the weather in the teens lately, it's been welcome.

I've also noticed that after a few thousand miles now that the auto start is much smoother than it was previously.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
In case people have forgotten, Autostop kicks back off after a minute and half. It has been posted here in the past and I have timed it myself. The engine does come back on after 1 1/2 minutes.

As for the first part, I have a CVT and also keep the car in ECON and have not experienced anything like what you describe, but I had an Insight for five years so I know how to drive it in ECON mode.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
In case people have forgotten, Autostop kicks back off after a minute and half. It has been posted here in the past and I have timed it myself. The engine does come back on after 1 1/2 minutes.

As for the first part, I have a CVT and also keep the car in ECON and have not experienced anything like what you describe, but I had an Insight for five years so I know how to drive it in ECON mode.
Ah, yes. Your right. A minute and a half. Good point. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
the car will also restart during winter to keep the block warm and provide heat. it got down into the 30's in south florida recently and the a/c became cool real fast during autostop and then the car restarted. try turning the a/c off, autostart stays off a lot longer.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
the car will also restart during winter to keep the block warm and provide heat. it got down into the 30's in south florida recently and the a/c became cool real fast during autostop and then the car restarted. try turning the a/c off, autostart stays off a lot longer.
Yes, that is absolutely true. One of the factors associated with potential lower winter MPG.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I don't understand the auto-stop hate - it's part of the charm of the car, for me!

Hell I wish I could force it to engage in the Starbucks line.

·
Registered
38 Posts
For me it just took a little bit of getting used to. My car will do the lurching thing if I'm too quick on the gas after taking my foot off the brake. I've learned to take my foot off the brake and wait half a second for the car to get back to it's normal idle before hitting the gas.

·
Registered
63 Posts
yea it was tricky to learn on my 6spd, had to adjust my neutral coasting habits to perfect it, but it grew on me rather quickly, i have no issues with it anymore, i take off from a dead stop rather quickly now, master the auto-stop young padawan

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
I don't understand the auto-stop hate - it's part of the charm of the car, for me!

Hell I wish I could force it to engage in the Starbucks line.
:hi5: Agree. After driving a 07 Civic Hybrid with autostop and getting used to it, the CR-Z autostop is one of the features I like..

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I like the feature, when I'm in a line I just press the clutch in and the autostop kicks in. My thing is if I stop at a light and the autostop does not kick in, when I press the clutch to go then the autostop kicks in just as I'm putting it into gear, now that's annoying.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.