Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
The MAF is plugged in and I cleaned it off today although it looked spotless to me. I tightened it a little more just in case there wasn't a good seal. I'm going to take it out in about 45 minutes for a drive. Hopefully the error won't show up again.

·
Registered
419 Posts
^^Let me know how it goes Nap

·
Registered
419 Posts
Are you sure everything is tight after the MAF? Is the gasket put on flush so theres no leaks? Is your pcv valve tight and not leaking?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Ya that would be good, mention that other people are having the same issue and see if they have any solutions. Thanks dude.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I finally started to tackle this issue again after ignoring it for like the last 15k miles. Every time it came up I would just let it disappear on its own (it disappears after a while) which is either after running the car for a couple of miles (~100) or turning it on and off a bunch of times. Of course you can always just take the negative out of the battery and get rid of it that way but I hate doing that to the computer and having to set up my radio again. Btw I have a takeda Intake so you guys know which intake I'm using.

So back to the story, It came up again the last week or so and I finally deciding to do something about it. I took it to a honda dealership and they told me they would charge me 125$ just to freaking check the error and I said "**** that". I then went to autozone and they checked it for free. I got the same error code that everyone in the forums get "the engine is running to lean" which means is getting too much air for the sensor to know how much gasoline is right to get the correct mixture/Balance ratio. At the same time It also says that the sensor could be dirty/damage or the intake filter is too oily which messes up with the sensor's readings.

I decide to clean it for the heck of it before trying anything else that is going to cost me more money. I cleaned it with the Mass Air flow Sensor cleaner that you can be advance auto parts. it was easy and spot on. I decided also to give it a reset and disconnected the battery to make sure I was doing a clean slate.

For a while I thought I got it right, the MPGs went up, throttle was much better, response also but then after 2 weeks it came up again. I took it to the dealership, paid them the $100 and today they told me that is just the intake no sensors are damage or giving faulty readings. I would have asssume they were just using a better OBD but supposedly they are using a machine that goes through every sensor and electronics and check its health & readings.

They also told me they tried clearing the error code and it would just continue coming up again and again so, they brought a OEM intake and installed it, used my sensor and that the error code never came up again after clearing it with the computer.

I dont know what to take from this but I'm really tired of dealing with this error, the main issue is throwing me into this limp mode, when I used to driving the car in sport mode and I dont like driving it in any other mode.

I was thinking before taking it to the dealership of buying a new sensor (they go for about $110) and intake filter (~$60) but now I'm thinking of just using the OEM for a while and maybe buy a different intake, like the typhoon or hks or just stay with the OEM. Of course, this could all change if I get the error while using my OEM intake.

I hope all this info help some people out there having the same issue and know that I tried this many things trying to fix it.

P.S. Would be nice to know if Napoli actually emailed AFE and see what information he got from them.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
i had a similar issue for awhile with my car. i had a honda fit manifold on the car and switched back to the oem one, thats when i started getting the error. everytime i checked it, it came up "bank 1 too lean". i cleaned the egr, maf and o2 sensors. after about 10 miles the code would pop back on again. i had the car recently tune and the tuner said the car would run lean of a split second and would trigger the error code. everytime my light came on i was in stop and go traffic or just when the car first started. since i had this issue ive added a js racing header and still have no issue since its been tuned.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks Nasa, that makes sense. Would you think that it went away after doing the tunning or because you added that header plus tuned the car for the header thus by adding the header fixing the issue of running lean?

Do you think If I took my car to tune it up would help/fix the issue?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
who could tune it up? the dealership or some local auto shop? I never done a tunning to car before hehe

·
Registered
167 Posts
How much did your shop charge for the tune?

I have a takeda intake as well and I've now had my emissions light come on twice now about 6 months after running with the new intake. I've also had the IMA cel come on twice as well but not at the same time. car has just over 60k on it. I suppose I should clean/ or get a new air filter since I've put almost 30k miles on it in the last 11 months since I got the car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Another two pennies: 2011 29K miles and over two years with a Takeda and zero problems until last Friday. My drives rarely consist of lengthy bumper to bumper traffic. Although, last Friday, I spent 1.5 hours in excessively, slow traffic and my 'emissions' light came on and I was unable to change modes. Today I disconnected the negative on batt and the error is gone. Since I've not had this problem before, I can only attribute it to the heavy, delayed traffic, interrupting the fuel mixture. Hope this helps others.

·
Registered
167 Posts
the few times my light has come on its always been right on start up or a short drive to the store and then after I come back out and turn the car back on boom its there... I cant help but think Honda has a little problem here and needs to fix this bug.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I came back to this thread just to see if anything was updated but I see I am the last post... my emissions light has been on now for two weeks strait... I keep thinking it will turn off like all the other times but it hasn't. I've cleaned the filter and checked all connections and nothing. in the last year I would say since the intake its came on at least 12 times and now it stays on. I've also had the check fuel cap a few times as well even tho I've checked it and its always been tight. Why cant these cars adapt to getting more air... this should be a simple thing for a $20k car... more air more fuel its not like I bolted a turbo up to it and I'm running 20 psi... its a simple intake and you should have to spend hundreds of dollars on a new tune just to add a few extra horse power... being as I've talked to many people with the same intake who tell me they never have had a problem tells me that possible a group of these Hondas randomly came off the line with a small error somewhere in it brain... I just bout a new scan took that links to my laptop and allows me to data log most of the cars sensors. I'm not sure how many or what sensors yet but I'm hoping to be able to view the all the sensors dealing with fuel ratios and what not. I've even though of getting a wide band just to see what the cars A/F ration really is running... but if the car really is that sensitive that it kicks the light on for it going lean for a split second I would problem never catch it in the act... once I get the scanner ill post my finding not that it will help anyone fix it but maybe give an idea... I wonder if there is a cheap chip that could full the computer into giving the car just a little bit more gas. I know there are those stupid 20+hp gain chips on ebay that don't work and just change the incoming air temp that result in worse MPG and no HP gain but maybe something stupid like that could work for this...

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I was having similar issues. I too have the takeda intake. Check emissions light would come on periodically, usually after idling for a while. I'd clear it, then it might come back in a day, or it might stay off for a few weeks.

What solved it for me was pulling the MAF sensor and hosing it down with MAF cleaner. Haven't had a light since.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I checked the sensor last time I cleaned the filter but it looked spotless I will have to get the cleaner kit and try that. My scanner should be here by tomorrow and I will see what code its setting off probly the same engine to lean crap...

21 - 40 of 55 Posts