Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Emergency brake or only parking brake
I recently got in an accident my foot slipped past the break and I grabEd for the emergency brake to stop. I wasn’t going very fast and in an older car it wouldn’t stoped no problem. on my CRZ it just slowed me down And I taped the car in front of me.
Is my brake adjusted wrong or is that all I can hope for? It appears to be set the way the Manuel calls for. Will yours stop the car in an emergency?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Mine will lock the rears even with a big sticky 245 tire out back. Handbrake turns FTW! I know, I am 12 at heart.

Perhaps adjusted incorrectly. FSM says 20kg of force should bring you to 5-7 clicks.

·
Registered
2016 EX CVT Purple
21 Posts
From what I understand it is a parking brake. I have never driven a car that it was laybed as an "emergency break". Seeing as it only really engages the rear brakes, I don't see how it could fully stop a car going more than 15 MPH.

In my 16 CRZ its electric, and has a P on it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
While making sure my initial post was accurate i found this. tl;dr "modern cars the 'e-brake' is ineffective for stopping a car so it is just a parking brake".

Part of your vehicle’s brake system, the emergency brake operates independently of the main brake system to keep your vehicle from rolling away. Also known as a parking brake, hand brake and e-brake, the emergency brake was originally designed to be used if the vehicle’s main braking system would fail.

However, in today’s vehicles, the parking brake doesn’t have enough stopping power to bring the car to a halt. The parking brake now is mainly used to keep the vehicle in place when parked.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Ehhh, if you lost hydraulic brakes, ie push brake pedal and get nothing, then yeah yank it and hope you spin into a ditch because as Ryan said it'll most likely lock the rear tires and you'll lose control. Would only do that in dire situation though; a loss of brake pedal or unintended/runaway acceleration.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From what I understand it is a parking brake. I have never driven a car that it was laybed as an "emergency break". Seeing as it only really engages the rear brakes, I don't see how it could fully stop a car going more than 15 MPH.

In my 16 CRZ its electric, and has a P on it.
I guess only us old farts remembe true emergency brakes. Thanks for the input

1 - 6 of 6 Posts