Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2011 6MT S/C
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I've done enough to the car so far in my short ownership and still have a lot planned, so I guess I might as well document it. A number of years ago I worked at a Honda dealership and loved seeing CRZs on the lot. At the time I had a civic hatchback with a B series swap, but I always drooled over the CRZs anyways. Fast forward to last fall and my partner was in the market for a new car. We were driving one day and a blue CRZ passed us. I pointed it out half jokingly and said "you should buy one of those". A few weeks later there was a white 2011 EX in our driveway. After driving it a few times (and going without a manual for a few years), I was hooked. In helping them car search I had come across a 2011 with low miles, a supercharger, and a built motor in TX. The only reason my partner passed on it was that she wanted something stock and reliable that didn't have to fiddle with. However, the price kept getting lowered and so eventually we made a 12 hour drive to Texas to check it out.

It was a little rough around the edges, a few things were not to my taste, but the previous owner had already sunk a ton of money into mods.

Interior
Prosport Halo Series Boost Gauge
Hybrid Racing short shifter w/ Mugen knob
OEM rubber floor mats and cargo mat
UVS custom fit sunscreen
Oversized rearview mirror

Engine & Drivetrain
Current power: 173 hp (7.86 psi @ 5400' elevation)
Jackson Racing Supercharger (upgraded to 80mm pulley)
Hondata Flashpro
RDX 410cc fuel injectors
Hondata 4 bar map sensor
J's Racing down pipe with EGR flange
Custom 2.5" exhaust, high flow cat, vibrant mufflers
NGK bkr7eix spark plugs
AEM water/meth injection kit (controller and switch in cockpit)
Eagle forged connecting rods
Arias Pistons 9:1 c/r
GE8 OEM Intake Manifold
Maxbore oversized throttle body
Bisimoto Custom Clutch Kit
Bisimoto Supercharger profile camshaft
Power Stop Vented Brake Kit
TurboSmart BOV (recirculating setup with green spring)
Bisimoto 74mm Head Gasket
Koyo aluminum radiator
Spoon thermostat

Suspension
Koni Str.t (orange) struts and shocks
Tein H-Tech springs
Spoon front sway bar
Cusco lower front strut brace

Wheels & Tires
Staggered setup with:
Enkei 17x8 RPF1 (F) with 235/40/17 Nitto NT01s
Enkei 17x7 RPF1 (R) with 205/45/17 Nitto Neo Gens

Future mods
Oversized crank pulley/smaller supercharger pulley
Spoon magnetic drain plugs (ordered)
ARP head studs (ordered)
Reveltronics digital gauge display

·
Registered
2011 6MT S/C
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to get a picture of the car before I started modding, but here it is with the wheels that came on it after getting lowered. 18x8s with 225/40s and it only rubbed once. Go figure. Still, I think 18s are too big for the CRZ.

And here it is with the staggered setup and RPF1s:

So far (~ 10 weeks) I have:

Changed the Turbosmart BOV to a recirc setup with the proper spring
Installed the suspension setup
Installed new wheels/tires
Reinstalled the original shift knob so it would work with the boot
Cleaned a huge mouse nest out of the HVAC system and installed a new cabin filter
Removed the sub setup (sold)
Removed the nitrous kit (sold)
Rewired the AEM methanol controller
Rewired the boost gauge
New battery
Cycle charged the IMA battery using the how to guide on the forum
Changed the transmission gear oil with Redline MTL
Adjusted the valves
Had a shop weld an EGR flange onto the down pipe so it would pass emissions
Full detail on the car, although the paint still needs quite a bit of work

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi everyone,

I've done enough to the car so far in my short ownership and still have a lot planned, so I guess I might as well document it. A number of years ago I worked at a Honda dealership and loved seeing CRZs on the lot. At the time I had a civic hatchback with a B series swap, but I always drooled over the CRZs anyways. Fast forward to last fall and my partner was in the market for a new car. We were driving one day and a blue CRZ passed us. I pointed it out half jokingly and said "you should buy one of those". A few weeks later there was a white 2011 EX in our driveway. After driving it a few times (and going without a manual for a few years), I was hooked. In helping them car search I had come across a 2011 with low miles, a supercharger, and a partially built motor for an amazing price. The only reason my partner passed on it was that she wanted something stock and reliable that didn't have to fiddle with. However, the price kept getting lowered and so eventually we made a 12 hour drive to Texas to check it out.

It was a little rough around the edges, a few things were not to my taste, but it only cost me a little more than a supercharger kit.

Interior
Prosport Halo Series Boost Gauge
Buddy Club short shifter w/ Mugen carbon sphere shift knob

Engine & Drivetrain
Jackson Racing Supercharger (upgraded to 80mm pulley)
Hondata Flashpro
RDX 410cc fuel injectors
Hondata 4 bar map sensor
HKS silent Hi-Power catback exhaust
NGK bkr7eix spark plugs
AEM water/meth injection kit
Eagle forged connecting rods and Arias Pistons 9:1 c/r
GE8 OEM Intake Manifold
Maxbore Throttle Body
J's Racing Front Pipe
Bisimoto Custom Clutch Kit
Bisimoto Supercharger profile camshaft
Power Stop Vented Brake Kit
TurboSmart BOV (recirculating setup with green spring)
Bisimoto 74mm Head Gasket

Suspension
Koni Str.t (orange) struts and shocks
Tein H-Tech springs
Spoon front sway bar
Cusco lower front strut brace

Wheels & Tires
Staggered setup with:
Enkei 17x8 RPF1 (F) with 235/40/17 Nitto NT01s
Enkei 17x7 RPF1 (R) with 205/45/17 Nitto Neo Gens

Future mods
Devil's Own methanol tank (getting installed this week)
Koyo aluminum radiator (ordered)
Spoon magnetic drain plugs (ordered)
ARP head studs (ordered)
Reveltronics digital gauge display
New tune and dyno session
Send pics of engine bay & dyno results when you get them!

·
Registered
2011 6MT S/C
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, not a whole lot to update. Most of the past month centered around selling my house and moving. The market here has almost a 0% vacancy rate, so the best thing I could find was an apartment for $200 more than my mortgage and no garage. Sigh.

Right before I moved I did get the chance to install a new methanol tank. The existing washer tank from the JRSC kit kept leaking even though I had tried to fix it twice. I managed to squeeze a 2.5 quart Devil's Own tank in the fenderwell by trimming a small amount of sheetmetal.

Liquid Fluid Plastic bottle Gas Cylinder

Now, on to the bad news. Randomly on Friday, the car won't go into 5th gear. There's no noise, no grinding, all other gears seem fine. I thought for sure it was going to be related to the Buddy Club short shift kit, but I pulled the console out, inspected and regreased everything, and couldn't find anything wrong with it. Cables seem fine and I changed the fluid with Redline MTF back in December (old fluid was in decent shape). So, as soon as I can get an appointment it will be going in for the shifting issue, as well as a Koyo radiator install, a custom 2.5" exhaust, and a receiver hitch.

Cheers,

Ellie

·
Registered
2011 6MT S/C
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good luck with the gear issue. 😞

Thanks. I can't imagine its major cause it seems to drive fine otherwise, although I guess it could be the shift forks. Normally I'd dig deeper, but being in an apartment that is not an option at present. The other fear lurking in the back of my head is maybe that 5th gear was readily abused when the previous owner was spraying NOS.

·
Registered
2011 6MT S/C
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
do you have a stock shifter to swap in for the buddy club? I'd still be suspect of that even if it looks fine, just because the build quality is trashtacular
Yeah, it's not the best. The cage is plastic, but it was on the car when I bought it. Yes, I do have the original one. Hopefully it is complete, on Friday I'll probably go dig around in my storage unit and try to find it.

Been eyeballing the hybrid racing one in the meantime :cool:

·
Banned
147 Posts
Car looks like a lot of fun. +1 on hoping the tranny issue isn't anything serious.

Also you should get the HR shifter, it's amazing. Pair it with a weighted knob and it's perfect.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Yeah, it's not the best. The cage is plastic, but it was on the car when I bought it. Yes, I do have the original one. Hopefully it is complete, on Friday I'll probably go dig around in my storage unit and try to find it.

Been eyeballing the hybrid racing one in the meantime :cool:
the issue isn't the cage being plastic. the OEM one is plastic too.

The ball on the shifter is plastic vs the metal OEM one, and it looks like they didn't pay any bit of attention to tolerance when they drilled a 3/8" hole for a 3/16" rod...

·
Registered
2011 6MT S/C
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Little updates....

The shop was in agreement with me that it was just the buddy club short shifter binding the linkage on the left side. So the hybrid racing unit gets here Friday 😁

The 2.5" exhaust turned out beautifully, all tig welded stainless and v bands 🤤 although it is f'in loud, enough that it has set off a car alarm. A second resonator is on order, and I'll have to get photos of the setup when it's back on their lift.

Hitch, spoon thermostat, koyo radiator, and new coolant sensor are all installed. I'm still getting an intermittent P0128 coolant thermostat code. Argh! 🤬 I'm guessing it has to be something in the wiring, unless anyone has experience with the spoon thermostat throwing a code (seems highly unlikely)

Also, can anyone find a part number for this trim piece? I've looked online to no avail:

·
Registered
2011 6MT S/C
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Any links to this part? Been asking around to see if anyone has a cam change with a supercharger.
Hi, as far as I know Bisimoto quit making these, but you could call and ask. I just know I have their "level 2.2" grind, not sure about any of the other specs on it. Catcams is the only other source that I'm aware of. It keeps getting postponed but eventually the car will get dynoed this summer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts