Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday evening I got in my car to clean inside, and put the key in and ignition switch on to 'II' to listen music only (didn't start engine)
I turned on indoor lamp and air conditioner also. But after about 15 minutes, electronics turned off and on again immediately.
And then I found that the engine does not start. I tried to turn on the engine but couldn't.
I was surprised and being thinking for a while, after 5 minutes I tried turn on the engine again and it works!!
I tried this situation again and always same, turn on electronic - after 10 - 20minute - electronic reset - engine not started - after 5 minutes - works
Does anyone knows why this is happend?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I would say that your running on pure batt power and it gets low, to low to start. Give it a few minutes and the bat comes up enough to start. I wouldn't do it repeatedly too many times without starting the motor at some point or you may be in need of a jump from someone.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
yup. you drain your main battery power which is used to power the starter for the car and it switched to the regular battery under the hood. the battery under the hood is not connected to the starter so it was used to recharge your other battey which then allowed you to start the car.

also the air conditioning can't work without the car running so you probably just had regular air vents on.

·
Registered
664 Posts
you don't need to turn the key to the II position to listen to the radio. you only need to click to the I position to do so. the I position lets you listen to the radio and and you can turn on whatever lights you need even without the key in the car. even still, if left on long enough, it can still kill your battery

you shouldn't also turn the air on if the engine is off as that can kill your battery rather quickly. if for some reason i was waiting in the car for whatever, i would generally leave it on I to just listen to the radio and would only click to the II position if i needed to roll the windows down or something then click back to I as soon as i was done.

·
Registered
175 Posts
yup. you drain your main battery power which is used to power the starter for the car and it switched to the regular battery under the hood. the battery under the hood is not connected to the starter so it was used to recharge your other battey which then allowed you to start the car.
I think it is the other way round.
The "regular" (12V) battery powers everything except the motor and has been drained. The IMA battery would have still enough capacity to start the engine with the motor but it does not, because first it wants to recharge the 12V Battery.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I don't think the IMA batt has anything to do with the starting or charging system for the gasoline engine. I believe it just powers the electric motor. So running your radio would only drain the little tiny batt under the hood.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ok, so I had to look, no altinator. Just a water pump, idler pulley and AC pump. Crazy. So does it have a conventional starter?
Well, I read many posts and this is my personal conclusion:
When you run out of battery, ima battery will charge the batt ( see the orange cable connected to the batt?) so, some people cant start the car ( left the light on?!) let the car sit a bit and it started.

Some say crz has conventional starter for emergency, when ima batt is out, the car cant start by motor and they experienced cranking startup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm.. it looks that this happening is by tiny 12V battery.. even i'm not sure..
Can I turn on the radio and lamps over 1hr with key postion on I not II?
If so, i will not switch on to II when engine is stop.
But didn't anyone tried to use electronics with switch on II? How long do you guys think can run them?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yesterday evening I got in my car to clean inside, and put the key in and ignition switch on to 'II' to listen music only (didn't start engine)
I turned on indoor lamp and air conditioner also. But after about 15 minutes, electronics turned off and on again immediately.
And then I found that the engine does not start. I tried to turn on the engine but couldn't.
I was surprised and being thinking for a while, after 5 minutes I tried turn on the engine again and it works!!
I tried this situation again and always same, turn on electronic - after 10 - 20minute - electronic reset - engine not started - after 5 minutes - works
Does anyone knows why this is happend?
It is probably an engine problem. I think that the engine doesn't configured well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My cars doing this now.. The engine won't start and the Nav tries turning on but I hear a click and it turns off. Then it says to check the ABS, VSA, and Airbag system. Probably a battery problem but it happened out of the blue..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.