Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yes, my hope it that when the origional battery pack needs replacing there will be an li-ion replacement option. Until the warrenty wears off its all just speculation and talk for me of course, but as long as we are at it I wonder if something as simple as thicker/more conductive power wire from the battery pack to the motor would improve torque numbers?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, my hope it that when the origional battery pack needs replacing there will be an li-ion replacement option. Until the warrenty wears off its all just speculation and talk for me of course, but as long as we are at it I wonder if something as simple as thicker/more conductive power wire from the battery pack to the motor would improve torque numbers?
To me that makes sense because the electric current will be stronger or con it just drain the battery faster with little hp/tq gains

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well either way I am going to make a guess that if/WHEN popular modifications to the electric motor's output are available, like somehow turning up the controller(?), bigger cables will come into play to provide more amps for more torque. I don't know what size wire they are using stock but I know if you want more power you allmost always need more conductive wire in allmost any application. Of course any such mod will result in draining the battery somewhat quicker, but for those who are into it I think the main idea is:
"Hey, we've got this big battery pack with a butt-load of joules stored in it, how do we get as much of that power as possible to the wheels?"
My brain, which I've said tends to be out there sometimes, is wondering if theres another way to put that power to the wheels besides the motor.
What I mean is, say you over-drive the stock motor and put out 55ish more ft/lbs of torque. Thats great, but maybe we can do better. What if, for just a small amount of time (say 15 seconds) you dumped a couple hundred amps out of the battery pack into a purpose built electric motor that spins up a small-ish supercharger? I might guess such a setup, while probably complicated, could potentially feed the engine a 4-6 PSI boost without taking any energy directly off the engine to create it.
It would be hella-hard on your battery if you did it very often and maybe a bit much extra weight of components to drive around with... but I'd still like to know if it would work... call it "Electric Nawz" :p

·
Registered
108 Posts
The electric motor "draws" power from the batteries. The stock ima motor can not produce more power then it already does. If battery capacity is increased the power will still remain the same but the charge will last longer. If the stock ima motor is replaced with a larger motor it will draw power faster from the stock batteries. So if the ima motor is replaced the batteries will also needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The electric motor "draws" power from the batteries. The stock ima motor can not produce more power then it already does.
Not necessarily true.. there's a motor controller in there to control the voltage/current applied to the electric motor and manage/control the power the electric motor delivers in conjunction with the ICE, to the drivetrain. The controller max current draw is probably set quite a bit lower than its max handling capability to achieve reliability goals (heat management) and working LIFE for the battery system.

It's probably quite likely that the system could develop more power at the cost of battery life and reliability.

Someone will undoubtedly unlock it's potential (no pun intended)!

·
Registered
175 Posts
If the Honda engineers have done good work, the motor should have its max power at max available voltage while the reliability depends on the design of the motor and hopefully is tested for heavy load over long time, more than you would have when driving the car on the road.
Since you cannot boost the voltage, I cannot see any potential to tune the IMA for more power or torque.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Guys it's been done. Use the search and read back to the fall when people were first modding the car.
There's no maybe about it. The electric motor can put out at least double the power it is stock. Your battery drains at least twice as fast which is unacceptable. So, yes it's possible, but as we've all said, we need better batteries.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
andrewr:
What if, for just a small amount of time (say 15 seconds) you dumped a couple hundred amps out of the battery pack into a purpose built electric motor that spins up a small-ish supercharger? I might guess such a setup, while probably complicated, could potentially feed the engine a 4-6 PSI boost without taking any energy directly off the engine to create it.
It would be hella-hard on your battery if you did it very often and maybe a bit much extra weight of components to drive around with... but I'd still like to know if it would work... call it "Electric Nawz"
or call it an electric turbo or SC. and connect it to a "Y" on the intake and and when called for the SC spools up and pressurizes the intake, of course you would have to put on a larger main intake with a check valve for when the SC takes over for that short period.:iough:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Since you cannot boost the voltage, I cannot see any potential to tune the IMA for more power or torque.
When it comes to elecctric motors and torque, its all about amps (not volts).
Volts are the biggest factor in electric motor speed (RPM) but the amps will decide with what amount of force the motor is twisting at a speed.
For example, both your general car starter and typical PC cooling fan are 12 volts and spin at a compareable RPM, but the car starter draws between 100-200 amps vs the PC fan pulling a fraction of a single amp, hence the starter motor spins with an incredible amount of force (torque) vs the PC fan you can easily halt with your finger.
Im not an electrical engineer or anything so that description is anything but technical, however I am pretty sure it covers the general concept.
So, although a minimal voltage increase might become common on the motor I'm pretty sure what we'd rather do is supply the motor with the same voltage and more amps, like, as many as it can take before it overheats and causes damage. ;)

·
Registered
320 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Yah, Andrew, you're right on target w/ your electronics knowledge.. But then we don't need to worry about any of that cause nothing is actually being pushed to the limits. It's all, volts and current, so total power output (amps) is being controlled by the motor controller..
Once we can start affording better batteries, someone will have to start changing the programming or swapping motor controllers, but I really don't think it's worth getting hopes up over right now. Batteries are just too expensive. And we aren't talking about just referbing the ones we've got, but getting better lithium ion's which would probably cost about 1/3 what we paid for the car (or more!).

·
Registered
320 Posts
For a given electric resistance (the motor) you need higher voltage to "produce" more amps.
Yeah my explanation is elementary and not technically correct in all aspects but the just of it is there. 4 D-cells will turn a power drill "harder" than 4 AAA cells but the voltage is the same, I'm not good at explaning why but I still have the general understanding :p

I guess what I mean is, although it might take some extra voltage to go along with extra amps to get more out of the electric motor, it won't be anything like "double" the voltage, it wouldn't do any good to spin the electric to 13,000 RPMs when the gas will only keep up to 6500, we want to turn the motor the same RPMs just with more force.

I also totally agree that its not something we *really* have to worry about for a long time, nobody will be too interested in messing with the motor while a perfectly good warrenty and new battery pack is in the car. But that doesn't mean we can't discuss it a little, even if we... no I won't word it like that... even if I don't know much about what I'm talking about.
I'm not here to claim I know more than anybody else, I admit that I'm not an authority on the subject, and though I try my best I am often enough mistaken. I'm just here for the civil theoretical discussion of the matter, regardless of whether anybody will try to implement it anytime soon :)

·
Registered
886 Posts
I can't wait until it's possible! I'd be much more interested in improving the electronic drive system than boosting the gas engine. (I'm just afraid we'll be looking at the 2020crz by the time aftermarket lithium bats are a real option)
Maybe we can hope for a 'push to pass' button, when people start reprogramming the car.
get double the IMA power for like.... 30 seconds.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.