Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Ok, sounds like you have nothing but insults so I'm just going to put you on ignore. You don't have an EV because they don't work. Bye.
"EVs don't work!"
"The sacrifices you have to make to own an EV"
"I'll still play with EVs"
"The fact that EVs and remote-disabling of systems kind of go hand-in-hand really worries me also"
"Coming from someone who currently owns 4 electric cars"
"Bad omen for car industry!"

J1000%contradictory. It would be absolutely fantastic to ditch cars completely; yes that was the point to all of that. As opposed to the 'EV bad' 'no EV good' bickering prior. Car guys arguing amongst each other without realizing they live in a world which basically dictates them to own the very thing they're arguing over regarding how exactly it moves. Wasn't really expecting someone with a veritable landfill of automobiles to comprehend the notion but alas the automotive and petroleum industries, along with their thoroughly indoctrinated loyal little brown-nosers, have made an entire nation completely and utterly beholden to the automobile such that they become perturbed at someone merely pointing it out.

To be a Dane and ride a bicycle seven minutes to work. Commie! Unfortunately for you yes, governments are setting ban dates for the production of internal combustion engines. They're not doing away with cars, you just won't have the option to buy a brand new gasoline-fueled vehicle. Needing the car to live, obtain certain careers or be a part of specific social standing is for some reason ok, but not being able to pour hydrocarbons into a hole in the rear quarter panel is like fascist, or something. I don't know how that works, fuck cars.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
From what I understand, the EV issue is still a problem because of how the power is produced for the grid that it has to be charged by. Until we are totally clean in power generation, it isn't really the environmental solution it seems to be, despite the reduced emissions from the vehicle itself...

Personally, I worry more about the disappearance of the manual transmissions....
Fun fact! History has proven that manual transmissions and electric motors are NOT mutually exclusive. Not so fun(and downright depressing)fact, auto manufacturers have very little interest in catering to us members of the #savethemanuals crowd. Unless they get us to pay a hefty premium for the "privilege" to row our own gears.

·
IMA Enthusiast
1,259 Posts
Electric motors have such huge torque at zero rpm and a million amps that gearboxes are generally not needed.
Now I didn't say not nice to have, which they are, as they can help even a monster electric motor stay in the sweet spot for ultimate performance.

But as well all know mass market stuff means micro cost analysis, if we are making ten million EV's every cent counts.
Gearboxes just aren't going to be needed for Joe public and his mass produced Google pod. :(

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
854 Posts
I actually feel the opposite here. I feel that auto makers should be pushing EVs harder, and they are the future.

Up until very recently, we didn't have many choices for EVs. relatively affordable EVs that could reasonably be your only car were the Tesla Model 3, Chevy Bolt, or Hyundai Kona EV. The Kia EV6 and Hyundai IONIQ 5 are also good choices, but they're fairly new. We just need a $20k-25k EV for the masses that more people can afford.

Right now, the biggest problem I see is long distance travel. With the average EV having 200-300 miles of range, travelling any further than that is tricky as you need to charge along the way, in much the same way you'd refuel a gas car along the way. Not a big issue when you spend 3 minutes pumping gas, but it can be an inconvenience when you spend up to 30 minutes waiting on a charge. With that being said, the new Hyundai IONIQ 5 has 350KW charging, so you can charge from 10 to 80% in 15 minutes. Technology Connections made a video on a trip he made to Florida. For an 18 hour drive, he would've needed to spend like 1 hour charging. Plus, I think its safe to assume that 80% of us aren't traveling long distances 90% of the time, so it's not an everyday concern.

The grid isn't much of a concern either. Many people think that EVs should be used just like gas cars, recharging when they need it. Ideally, though, you'd recharge at home every day or every two days perhaps. Using a standard level 2 charger at, say, 14KW will put far less stress on the grid than using a Level 3 charger at +150KW. The grid can, and will grow to accommodate the growing electrical demand. Also, as the grid gets cleaner, so does your car. That gas car or a hybrid like the CR-Z will stay just as dirty, though.

While weather does kill range, it isn't as bad as you paint it. You could lose up to 30% range, sure, but unless you need to drive a lot, it's a non-issue. Just charge your car every day in the winter. even a relatively long 100 mile commute can be easily completed by a car that would get 200 miles in ideal conditions.

As for supply issues, it is a challenge that a lot of raw material is needed for the batteries. However, having more EVs on the market will put greater pressure on manufacturers to develop smaller, lighter, more power-dense batteries. Also, the current supply issues affect all cars, not just EVs. And with Russia's "special operation" over in Ukraine, supply issues are sure to get worse for many industries. I think Ukraine provides something like 90% of the world's neon, which is required to operate big lasers used to make all sorts of microchips. No neon, no chips. No chips, no cars of any sorts.

"But electric cars have no soul". Ok yeah I kinda agree here. I feel like a good comparison is a mechanical watch vs a quartz watch. The quartz watch is superior in every way, but it's boring. Likewise, EVs are superior to gasoline cars in almost every way. They're faster, quieter, need minimal maintenance, etc. I love gasoline engines, and I love all the mechanical bits, and I love working on my car. I love the idea of having a vehicle be propelled by tiny explosions thanks to a carefully choreographed mechanical dance of sorts. But at the end of the day, it is inferior technology, and I think that the gasoline engine fits best in cool cars that you drive for fun every once in a while. A car that exists for no other reason than to please the driver, that doesn't have to make sense. But for a daily driver that ultimately exists to serve as practical transportation, EV is definitely the way to go. Plus, given their performance, electric cars can be fun too.

For a bit of comparison, I have a motorized bicycle powered by a 50cc 4 stroke motor, and an electric scooter powered by two electric motors. Both produce about 3 hp. the bike not only requires gasoline, but also oil. Starting it is annoying, I have to pull start it and mess around with a choke. If the gas isn't fresh it's even harder to start. Once its running, its loud and vibrates a lot. It can reach decent speeds, but isn't very quick. It also burns my knees sometimes since the engine is a bit big. My scooter, on the other hand, is infinitely more practical and much more fun to ride. To start it all I need to do is turn a key and press a button. It's very quick and can go up to 40mph. No need to go to the gas station, I just charge at home. No oil, no chains, no nothing. the bike is fun, sure, but there's a reason why my bike has less than 50 miles on it, while my scooter has over 700. More fun, and its actually practical.

Last thing worth considering is that EVs as a mass-market vehicle are still in their infancy. Gasoline cars, on the other hand, have had over a century to mature, and there isn't really much room for improvement anymore. EVs, on the other hand, despite having a long way to go, are already competitive with gasoline cars. Just imagine how much better they'll be in 10 years.

Here's some videos from Technology Connections that I think are worth watching. First three are older videos, but still very informative.

The Most Common EV Charging Misconception

Chevy Bolt EV: Winter Range and Performance (Chicago winter)

Chevy Bolt EV Summer Range Test

The tech which can charge an electric car in 10 minutes

41 - 45 of 45 Posts