Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 390 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I too have just finished my own little experiment on mpg's using the ECON and SPORT button. I take the same way to work and the weather has actually been pretty consistent too. The only thing changed was the use of Mobil 1 93 on the SPORT portion and BP 93 for the ECON run.

Here's what I came up with:

-39.0 mpg using ECON

-41.5 mpg using SPORT

The only thing I can come up with is that my driving style, normal driving, not a lead foot but I do kick it a couple times and take turns when they're there for the taking, is not agreeing with the ECON mode at all. I will use the ECON mode for freeway trips using the cruize and that's about it. I did use the ECON mode when I went to the Dragon (600 miles away) and my mileage went up and up but then again at that time the motor was being broken in though. I should try the SPORT mode when doing my next freeway trip....just to see.

Based on this, I'm using SPORT mode!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I didn't wanna go into too much detail with the 93 vs. 87 thing because I tried that in another thread and it got locked by no doing of my own. I base my use of 93 due to the results I got in my Fit last winter, check it out. I used to only run 87 and the Fit was getting 22-23 mpg in mixed driving (different job, different route but still a good mix of city and longer stop and goes) Then a fellow FitFreak member suggested that I try 93 and I did and after about 2 tanks my mileage went up from 22-23 to 28-29 mpg. Now, I haven't run 87 in the CR-Z yet and probably will not do it. I've also been told by the same member of FF, who's VERY smart with fuel and engine building and various other things car related, that there's less of NO ethanol in the 93 fuel, so that's why I run it and haven't looked back since.

Now for some "butt dyno" results when I switched to 93 in the Fit. I can honestly tell you guys, no BS, that my 5AT shifted more firmly when I switched to the 93, absolutely! It was almost like I had a shiftkit in the trans. Now I will also say that I also had a K&N typhoon and Magnaflow muffler on the car as well FWIW. I also switched over to Mobil 1 half way through the 2nd oil change too. Speaking of oil, this fellow member of FF provided me with some info on oil and its got me to thinking about just using what they've got at the dealerships too but then again I've been a Mobil 1 guy since 1995, so that's going to be a hard habit to break for sure. In all honesty, I don't drive my car too hard until I go to the Dragon, so the Honda motor oil would be more than enough protection IMO but we'll see on that one, I like the piece of mind that I've been pouring in for the past 16 years.

Comments, positive or negative about the above statements are welcome, no flaming here.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, with the additional torque it makes all the difference, the car doesn't have to work as hard to get up to speed, kinda and I stress KINDA like a turbo does, just a little gets you going without too much effort! It makes me wonder if using the sport button on the highway trips would also net better mileage too:dunno: I will find that out first hand in the spring when I go back home to Detroit for a visit.

·
ShazzMINISTRATOR
2,906 Posts
Yeah, with the additional torque it makes all the difference, the car doesn't have to work as hard to get up to speed, kinda and I stress KINDA like a turbo does, just a little gets you going without too much effort! It makes me wonder if using the sport button on the highway trips would also net better mileage too:dunno: I will find that out first hand in the spring when I go back home to Detroit for a visit.
I only get better mileage in sport in the city. On the freeway, I switch to normal or econ depending on if there is traffic.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Econ Mode

During Econ mode operation, the engine's responsiveness is tuned for optimal economy, the electric motor assist gives priority to fuel efficiency and the air conditioning system can reduce its overall load on the engine.

Pushing the Econ button initiates a range of functions that increase the fuel economy of the CR-Z's Integrated Motor Assist (IMA) system:

DBW throttle angle optimized for smoother acceleration and maintains lowest possible engine RPM

Reduces automatic climate control blower fan speed and minimizes A/C compressor engagement whenever possible

CVT (if equipped) transmission ratios are optimized higher (relative to engine RPM) for greater economy

Limits power and torque by approximately 4 percent (full responsiveness is provided at wide-open-throttle)

Cruise control uses a smaller throttle opening angle whenever possible

Steering assist is normal
This is what the CR-Z does when you switch into Econ mode. There is almost nothing on that list that would help at highway speeds. (The loosening of cruise control is one thing that has a slight benefit.) Econ mode is all about teaching the driver how to pilot the vehicle efficiently. When you drive on the highway, you really don't make many choices. It's just steady state cruising. You, the driver, are almost superfluous.

I'm not saying you can't get better mileage using Sport mode. It just has a lot less to do with the mode and a lot more to do with how well you take advantage of the tools Honda has programmed into the car.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"Limits torque and power by 4%"...........feels more like 40%:rolleyes:

I know when I took my car to the Dragon my mileage went up and up, starting at 39.0 mpg and finally up to 43.6 mpg, using ECON w/ the cruize on and doing no more than 5 mph over the speed limit. This was also going from the flatlands of Chicagoland down to the hilly sections of KY and TN on the freeway. The car was also just getting broken in by the time I got back though.

I think on flatlands the ECON is the way to go w/ the cruize on when on the freeway IMO.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm totally not consistent as I would like to be MPG wise so far. I took a trip from Long Island NY, to Key West Fla. And going my MPG was better then coming back. However, more importantly. It changed (sometimes a lot) with the gas that I was using. Mobile/Exxon was worse then Shell/BP. I used regular for all my gas normally and when I went on this trip. So, after 3000 miles, it was pretty easy to see which gas I should stick with. I was losing something like 5-7mpg on anything other then Shell/BP. And I have been pretty good at averaging around 40MPG so far. I am almost 20K miles in on my CRZ. I got it this year March :)

I drive pretty flat roads, and am usually only in traffic for about 15-25 minutes. The other 30-40 minutes are over 60 MPH highway no traffic miles. I think the best MPG I ever got was like 44.3 on only one tank of gas.

Driving in ECON mode mainly has netted me the best average MPG so far. I tried Sport early on, and got in the low 30's, and in normal/econ. I get in the low to mid 40's on average. I really can't complain much regardless as my last car was an Infiniti G35 (2003). So, I'm pretty much doubling my MPG over that car with half the tank size to boot. Who needs back seats! :)

I'm pretty happy with what the car tells me I need an Oil change. So far only 2 this year, both from the dealer (only 2 minutes from my house so yeah..). But, as far as gas milage goes. I haven not had better MPG with Sport over Econ. I understand what it does, but in long 1 hour daily driving trips on city and lots of highway. Econ does best for me so far. So does using either Shell or BP gas. I tried Hess, Mobile/Exxon, and off-name places. So, I'm pretty suck with those 2 for now. Econ does suck for how I want to drive the car for sure. But, unfortunately I got rid of the G35 for a reason. And that higher MPG is it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Additionally, if your saying that using 93 is better mainly due to the fact that there is less Ethanol in the gas. I would be willing to switch back to using it. I haven't had to put in 10 gallons of gas in this car yet. So, literally the 25-30 cent difference would be no more then $3 to fill my tank (currently averaging about $35 per fill). If I can get 5+ MPG, its worth it. Even more so if I get to drive it in sport mode more often :)

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, 2nd tank of gas using SPORT had me netting 40.0 mpg (OBC showed 41.1) but I will say I had a tank of Mobil 93 in there, topped off with BP 93 today (about 6-7 gallons). My previous total was 41.5 mpg, so I did lose 1.5 mpg but that could also be due to using Mobil over BP and its been getting colder and the stop/start feature doesn't kick in as much (but I know how to try and make it work when it doesn't want to though) this week infact has highs in the upper 30's to very low 40's.......here it comes, sooner or later:nervous:

If I can average 35 in the winter, I'll be happy as hell. I plan on using ECON in the snow for sure as I'll be extra cautious as usual when the white stuff starts flying, I consider the ECON my "2ND FORM OF TRACTION CONTROL":p

I do stand by my words about using premium, I stated what I found when switching to it in my Fit and I'm sold, not going back. Look at it like this, here in Chicagoland, the difference between regular and premium is .30 cents and IF I were to let the tank go down to almost empty, it would cost me what, an extra $3.00, its well worth it IMO:dunno:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Back on full BP 93, about a 1/3 of a tank used up and my OBC is showing 43 mpg and its been damn cold in the morning, low to mid 20's and highs about 40-ish. I'm really liking the use of SPORT mode to increase my mileage over ECON, go figure:headbang:

I did bump up my tires to 40 last week, mostly because its getting cold and I'm sure the pressure will drop on its own due to the colder weather, but that's really no biggie, the ride hasn't felt any different either going from 35 to 40 psi.

I will update this once I get gas for the REAL mpg.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lower morning temps....lower mileage

Still in SPORT mode but with the temps in the very low 20's in the morning is taking its toll on the mpg's a bit, I got 39.5 mpg (41.4 mpg on the OBC) which is down about 1-2 mpg compared to my last tank but I'm not disappointed one bit, just a fact when driving in the colder weather:cry:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Too many hills around here. I always have to use a lower gear if I don't want the assist to drain... Which of course negatively affects MPG.
Works the same way with CVT. Using SPORT to climb hills even on the freeway seems better than NORMAL or ECON because the when the engine revs higher it tends to ease off to not use any battery assist.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Current fill-up has me back up to 40.7 mpg (OBC showed 40.4, very close this time) and that was after having "a little fun" with a fellow CRZ member after he got his BLF exhaust/CAI installed last night too, so it probably could've been higher but that was fun:thumbsup:

Just for the heck of it, I'm going to step down into NORMAL for this tank just to see what happens but its supposed to get even colder by the end of the week and then back up to 40 by Sun/Mon, so we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Back on full BP 93, ...

I did bump up my tires to 40 last week, mostly because its getting cold and I'm sure the pressure will drop on its own due to the colder weather, but that's really no biggie, the ride hasn't felt any different either going from 35 to 40 psi.

I will update this once I get gas for the REAL mpg.
Tire pressure makes a huge difference. The dealers like to set them in the low 30s (the door sticker says 30) which gives a nice ride. But if you set them to 40 or 45 (the max is 50 depending on the tire) you will pick up at least 1 MPG, maybe more.:woot:

1 - 20 of 390 Posts