Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is my opinion that this looks waaaayyyyy better.:cool:

For those that do not see it right off the bat, I painted the edge of the tail lights black. That way it looks more black, more better, less chrome, and less like a Prius. :pP:
(joke^)

The difference:

I didn't take all the DIY pictures, but it's pretty easy if you're not afraid to take your car apart.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Open that hatch, in the seal of it there is a black plastic part of the brake light. You pop a little piece off of it and it exposes two phillips head screws. Remove those, pop it out (carefully), twist and pull the lights out-
there is one that is just a plug for the LED set that will require a jewelers sized flat head screw or something.
Use a scotch bright pad to scuff up the area you're painting so that the paint will adhere.
I used tape on the edges to create a barrier so no paint transferred to the face of it.
Let it dry, the put it back together.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Did you prime the lights at all?

And is that a flat black or gloss? I can't tell.

BTW, that looks really nice and factory. May be a "must-do" mod.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANKS!
I hear "that's how it should have looked from the factory!"

I really like it, it's subtle.

I can't remember at the moment but I'm almost positive it's a semi-gloss. I don't think it would make that much a difference though.

I'm happy with it! It really is a noticeable difference; not sure if you can tell with just photos.

·
Registered
347 Posts
THANKS!
I hear "that's how it should have looked from the factory!"

I really like it, it's subtle.

I can't remember at the moment but I'm almost positive it's a semi-gloss. I don't think it would make that much a difference though.

I'm happy with it! It really is a noticeable difference; not sure if you can tell with just photos.
Got any more pics of the finished product? Hard to tell from that pic. Maybe a full shot of the back? Def like it tho. Im not the biggest fan of our tails the way they are, lol...seems to make the tails blend in much better, good job

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'm going to do this today. Give me a few hours. Pictures to come.

Solid idea OP!

Edit. I'm going to do this in 2 steps. I'm going to paint the lower and outer edges first, leaving the center alone to see how I like it. Unfortunately the center edge is plainly visible and I'm not sure if I should go full gloss or not, or even if I want to paint it...?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I will prob be doing this today as well, lol... I may go with plastidip to see if i like it first. Plus, my rear hatch is fully done in plasti dip already, so, it will blend with it all. Iwould think if ur gonna paint it, Krylon Fusion would be best, as its made for plastics.

·
Registered
347 Posts
So far, the plastidip has held up well for me, but I decided to get some fusion for this project. I have used it for overflows on fish tanks and it holds up really well on plastic. I got satin, as I think the gloss would be too much... Bout to go tape off my tails...Pics hopefully later...Thanks for the idea! Now when I see it, I wonder why they werent like that from the factory, lol

·
Registered
481 Posts
Here is how mine are coming out.

When taping up the lights I masked the inner section of the light as to not let the paint be visible from the rear of the car. I did, however paint the section the runs behind the inner, to still get rid of the silver effect that the stock light exhibits.

Better shot of the masking:

I am using Krylon Fusion gloss black primerless paint in 3 coats, with 10 minute breaks between thick coats.

Everything you need, you can find at Advance Auto Parts.

Here is what the final product looks like next to the factory lamp.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,498 Posts
^ yes - looking forward to pics when re-installed..

·
Registered
481 Posts
FYI

Here is how the lights are attached after you remove the two Phillips fasteners.

Top, pop-rivet

Bottom, slide fastener

Side, slide fastener/lock

Basically, remove the 2 phillips screws, and slide straight back and slightly up(to avoid scratches on the bumper paint). Very very simple procedure. Take 10 minutes to get familiar with this procedure...it seems like the tail lights are a big point of interest for changing the stock appearance of the rear on our cars, and removing the lamps correctly will save you money and headaches.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Got mine done as well. LOVE IT! One of those mods that u wouldnt even notice unless u were next to another CRZ. Then ud be like, why does that one look better, lol... I did the same procedure, but I used satin fusion and I painted the inside lip, since u can see it with the trunk closed. If anyone wants pics, I can upload them

·
Registered
481 Posts
All done

Like stated before, this is a passive modification. Basically it only changes the way that light reflects off of the plastic, since there is no exposed paint.

I'm VERY pleased with the results. Gives the effect of a lens tint, without the need for tint, or loss of light transmission. MUST DO MOD, if I ever saw one.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I agree completely. The one thing that sticks out that we did differently is that u didnt paint the inside area of the tail by the trunk, while I did. Different strokes for different folks, lol. Heres mine :)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Talk2meGOOSE....dude, good idea. I have a feeling that a lot of people will be doing this, very simple, upgrade to the lights on the CRZ. I also wouldn't be surprised if the factory did this in a future model. It's that good.

1 - 20 of 228 Posts