Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to drive the CR-Z EX today both on the street and around a track today. It's not a lie, the car is Fun! I'm 6'5'' and there is plenty of room for the driver. The only thing that sucks is that the armrest is an aftermarket accessory (Must have with the manual). Cooled glovebox and the well hidden iPod compartment are great, no mirrors on either sunvisors are an obvious oversight. Econ mode makes sense in traffic, and Sport Mode really feels sporty. I had a Mini Cooper before, and I had a bigger smile on my face in this one, thanks mainly to the short-throw gearbox.

When the engine autostops the A/C cuts off which takes a little getting used to, but there is an easy way around it... Autostop for a manual is also a new thing to get used to, but it totally makes sense the way Honda did it.

The HID lights and the sound system alone makes the upgrade to the EX worth it (Clarion system with Foster speakers) sounds pretty good, but the engine note is the best selling point for petrol-heads...

Only 15,000 units coming to the states this year, and if you live in a California carbon emission state, your will be a little modified than those who live in non-carb-law states.

Oh, and while the official release date is the 24th of August, most Califorina Nevada Utah and Arizona dealerships will get the first units by next weekend.

Double Thumbs up from me!

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
looks like the black one was the base or non-EX version... unless i'm mistaken and you can get an EX w/o fog lights??

i know u didn't drive it a whole lot... but can you tell us a little bit about the fuel efficiency of the CR-Z in US mpg for a change lol...

no-mirrors on the visors is an oversight, but i never use them so it's not even close to a deal-breaker for me... and i'm assuming the climate control was set high enough in temp to where the A/C would cut off when the engine shuts off... otherwise, i read somewhere it will stay on even when coming to a stop... i can't live in Florida with the A/C cutting off when i stop lol...

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Got to drive the CR-Z EX today both on the street and around a track today. It's not a lie, the car is Fun! I'm 6'5'' and there is plenty of room for the driver. The only thing that sucks is that the armrest is an aftermarket accessory (Must have with the manual). Cooled glovebox and the well hidden iPod compartment are great, no mirrors on either sunvisors are an obvious oversight. Econ mode makes sense in traffic, and Sport Mode really feels sporty. I had a Mini Cooper before, and I had a bigger smile on my face in this one, thanks mainly to the short-throw gearbox.

When the engine autostops the A/C cuts off which takes a little getting used to, but there is an easy way around it... Autostop for a manual is also a new thing to get used to, but it totally makes sense the way Honda did it.

The HID lights and the sound system alone makes the upgrade to the EX worth it (Clarion system with Foster speakers) sounds pretty good, but the engine note is the best selling point for petrol-heads...

Only 15,000 units coming to the states this year, and if you live in a California carbon emission state, your will be a little modified than those who live in non-carb-law states.

Oh, and while the official release date is the 24th of August, most Califorina Nevada Utah and Arizona dealerships will get the first units by next weekend.

Double Thumbs up from me!

I too am an ex MINI owner and find your post very informative, thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The vents continue to work when the car autostops (that's electric), the A/C unlike in the Insight are linked to the engine running, so yes it will cut it off. As soon as you lift your foot off the brakes - even for a second- the car reengages the engine and the A/C comes back on. Now, on the manual you have to be in neutral to even get to autostop, so I don't think it matters that much.

As far as the fuel economy, this car is the 5th most frugal car sold in the US based on EPA standards (which by the way is done in NORMAL mode, not in ECO mode). For an average driver comparing it to the Prius (which is the #1) over 15,000 miles per year, this car will need about 100 gallons more gas over the year - so counting with average gas prices around $300-$350 more per year. But the CR-Z is way cheaper than the Prius, and you can actually enjoy driving in this one as opposed to holding up traffic and pissing people off like in the Prius.

And no there is no noticeable difference in the non-carb-law and carb-law state versions. Just important to know that you cant buy one or the other as new if you live in such state (ie a California resident can't buy it in AZ)...

BTW. The instrument cluster and dash are awesome in the CR-Z - like in a video game.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Do you know the period between each shipment? Are dealers getting CR-Z every week, every month or every other month?
I've got a call from a California dealer saying that they will get 2 by the end of July. Both are CVT but I want MT.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The black ones always look better because it hides the way the rear window is... they should have made it like the CRX window.. the side window... the misshaped triangle one.
I agree. I was surprised how good it looked in red also. that with some limo tint, and black wheels will look the business.

bizzy - the ones I drove on the street showed 52 avg mpg and they were driven normally, or even with a little pep - albeit in eco mode. i didnt care to check on the ones I drove on the track :)

Shipment will be sporadic in the first 6 months, and there will not be any invoice deals - unless you know the dealer. Prepare to pay MSRP and in some cities MSRP +. Honda gauged a healthy interest in the US (especially in California), and in Japan and Europe the first batches sold so fast, they can't make 'em fast enough.

The following CA dealers are getting EX manuals this week: Valley Hi Honda, DCH Honda Gardena, Miller Honda Culver City, DCH Lemon Grove, and Honda of the Desert. Most others will get one by the end of August beginning of September too.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
FL and CA are big states... when i spoke to the sales guy i bought my Si from, he said they were expecting their first one the first week of September... and this is Rick Case Honda, probably the largest Honda dealership in the country...

can i ask, where are you getting your info from?? you can PM me if u don't want to say it in open forum...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FL and CA are big states... when i spoke to the sales guy i bought my Si from, he said they were expecting their first one the first week of September... and this is Rick Case Honda, probably the largest Honda dealership in the country...

can i ask, where are you getting your info from?? you can PM me if u don't want to say it in open forum...
I'm your inside guy ;) - PM sent

·
Registered
232 Posts
Dragon, thanks for the great post!

Would you happen to have any info as to when dealers in Northern California, specifically the SF Bay Area, might be getting some? My local dealer is Walnut Creek Honda, but any Bay Area inventory would be great.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.