Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had some snow in NJ this week, got to drive the Z in the snow for the first time. First impressions were great, the car handled very well even when other cars were loosing control, I was stuck to the road:)
I tried out the low gear for a while(CVT) and it was really good from take off, not too much traction loss. Happy snow driving all !!!!!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
W've had some relative dustings over the past eight days here around Baltimore, but in both cases the snow laid very quickly since the ground is so cold/frozen. Accidents galore, but when you look around and see how people are driving there's little wonder! Too many extreme drivers-- the "OH NO! There's white stuff falling from the sky... I better straddle the lanes going 1/3 the speed limit and slam on the brakes every chance I get!" types, and the "YEEHA! It's snowin' and me and my big ol' SUV/pickup can speed off faster than Rudolph and his buddies on Christmas eve!" I'm guessing that overturned SUV I saw at the side of the Baltimore Beltway the other day was the latter type! :pP:

So much of snow driving is to dry sensibly at a happy medium. If you're moving nicely along and there's a frozen puddle of water (equals ice!) in your lane and nowhere to go, braking quickly while atop it is not so smart (probably the most commion winter driving mistake, even when there's no snow around)... just keep moving along at the steady pace, or if you have to stop try to brake slowly and/or before your car is on the ice! Stopped on the ice and need to get going? Gunning the accelerator not a real wise idea!!! Going down a steep hill with a traffic light at the bottom? Go downhill slooooowly and steadily so that you don't end up sideways/all over the place/smashed into the rear of the car ahead of you when the light turns red, you're going too fast, and suddenly have to stop!

But I digress! :eek:fftopic:

My impressions so far are that the traction control system seems to really help, and that the CR-Z does pretty well in light snowy conditions so long as you don't drive like a nervous ninny or a devil-may-care maniac!

·
Registered
145 Posts
My impressions so far are that the traction control system seems to really help, and that the CR-Z does pretty well in light snowy conditions so long as you don't drive like a nervous ninny or a devil-may-care maniac!
My impression too ^

However, its so damned icy with 4-6" of frozen snow here (not a lot of gritting being done in past 24hrs yet:angry:) that I'm happier taking the smart as thats more 'disposable' and I'm not so paranoid about other muppets out there. It also does wicked handbrake turns in these conditions too :rolleyes:
The better days will come for the Z again in the coming months :)

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Too many extreme drivers-- the "OH NO! There's white stuff falling from the sky... I better straddle the lanes going 1/3 the speed limit and slam on the brakes every chance I get!" types!
You just described the majority of Denver drivers when it snow or rains a little bit. It is insane, considering where we live! You think they would remember how to drive in it, since we usually get a LOT of it! (although not this year.. not yet at least!)

What we have had.. and my few trips up to the mountains, the CR-Z has done really well. On snow... the car and tires are awesome... I can out maneuver the Bubba's in thier lifted 4WD's no problem. Ice.. well, ice is never pretty unless you are running studs... but a little common sense goes a long way there. It isn't the cars fault that ice is so slick. In just wet... the car rocks... almost as locked in as it is on dry.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Driving in snow area was not good experience for me and my family. we were really in threaten !! we spent almost half of day there. After leaving that place we were really thanking to god. It was full of snow and their were so many people over there. Everyone was praying to get rid off from there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too finally had the joys of driving the CR-Z in a 9" snowfall that hit Spokane last week. I found that putting the mode on Eco (I have 6 spd) helped as it attenuates alot of the throttle input - so little power means less wheelspin to start out from a stop. ABS worked awesome few times it invoked on ice. A little bit of front end plowing around corners but nothing that wasn't controllable with a little bit of throttle & steering correction. I have actually been driving my CR-Z lately & leaving the AWD BMW coupe sitting in the garage (and I just washed it before the snow hit, too lazy to do it again). Needless to say, I am still impressed by Honda's little "putt putt" as I call it now

·
Registered
320 Posts
Winter isn't finished here in northern minnesota yet either, but so far no problems. As others said the stock tires are far from amazing but what the ABS and VSC do they do well. Its not quite like my SUV in 4x4 with bridgestone winter duelers but oh well, its still 10x more fun to drive!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.