Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the first decent snowfall of the year today (about 4-5 inches) and headed out for an important appt. She's awful in the snow despite the roads being plowed and I wasn't going fast. I slid around corners and on the way home nearly took out my mailbox. The vehicle assist light came on several times but didn't help. Add in the fact that she sits low to the ground and it wasn't a fun ride. I did put her in Sport mode on the way home to see if she did better to no avail.

I don't plan on taking her out in the snow unless I need too. I was just surprised at how awful she did. I'm SO glad I made DH take the Santa Fe to work as he was just going to drive her up to Lincoln today. He would have slid off the highway into a ditch in the dark.

Any tips on driving her in the snow? Specific tires that would help? Or just don't bother using her unless I want a new mailbox?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Unfortunately the stock Dunlop SP7000 tires for the USDM rate rather low for snow and ice traction according to user surveys on Tire Rack.

I recommend driving more carefully, keep vsa on, try not to break traction, and don't use sport mode. Perhaps Econ mode would help some on the smooth part.

I got out some in the snow too. The tires are rather mediocre. If you're having trouble with car control, simply slow down more.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Being from Michigan, and originally from Upper Michigan (north of Wisconsin), I would have to say that I think the CR-Z is quite good in the snow.

It is comprable with or better than any other front weel drive car I have driven (and I have driven many in the past 30 years of driving).

However, also being from Michigan, it is quite possible my car has different tires than yours. Mine are Bridgstone Turanza tires.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I am in Denver CO.. and we had 6-8" of snow yesterday and last night. With decent snow tires, my CR-Z handles it pretty well. I was actually passing 4WD vehicles, but mostly because a lot of the people here dont know how to drive in the snow and ice.

As another poster mentioned.. keep traction. DO NOT use sport mode.. that strong IMA assist will break the tires loose unless you are very very careful and light on the throttle. Keep the VSA on... dont try turning at the speeds you normally do.. do everything in slow motion sort of. ECON mode is a good way to minimize throttle input to help control spinning.

I DO highly recommend some winter tires... the stock one are terrible in the snow (from what I have heard.. never used them). There are a bunch of good winter tires available.. hit your favorite tire shop and let them recommend something for your area.

·
Registered
618 Posts
However, also being from Michigan, it is quite possible my car has different tires than yours. Mine are Bridgstone Turanza tires.
Cool. Apparently Honda is now using the Bridgstone Turanza EL470 as an OEM tire for the CR-Z. This is a low rolling resistance tire, unlike the Dunlops. I'd be curious how your fuel economy fares.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I just got back from a week in Traverse City, MI. Being right on Lake Michigan, winter time generally means snow everyday via lake effect. The car does fine as long as you have vsa on. And its almost always in use. If your in an area that gets more than 2 feet of snow a season on average, Id highly look into snow tires.

·
Registered
618 Posts
HA, kernk is the one getting crazy fuel economy that leaves me scratching my head! it all makes sense now!
True dat. But he must do a lot of driving. According to Fuelly he fills up quite frequently.

·
Registered
170 Posts
True dat. But he must do a lot of driving. According to Fuelly he fills up quite frequently.
About 100 miles a day commuting. Trips to the other side of the state on weekends. Wish I didn't drive so much.

Drove a 2003 civic hybrid before this car. Got 52 mpg city/hwy combined over 6 years.

Tips - make sure the a/c is off, especially in winter when using defrost. I do use it some in the summer. Put some extra air in your tires - mine are at 46 to 48psi cold. Drive like you don't have breaks.

-

·
Registered
99 Posts
Even better are studded snow tires on all 4 wheels.

Lot of states will not allow them ...

When I was much younger, I spent a lot of time on frozen lakes and iced up parking lots to learn how to handle out of control vehicles. The lessons learned stuck with me and bailed me out of many hairy situations.

I will be buying another set of stock wheels and will put good snow tires on them.

Tennessee will allow use of studded tires between October and April 15th.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Going to my local tire shop might end up with my CR-Z looking like this:

They must have had a heart attack watching that truck cross the road, go down the hill, sliding into a parked car and then ending up hitting the building.

DH found this sign and put up this for a laugh:

Thanks for all advice. DH doesn't want new tires so I'll have to work with her when I do drive.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just got our first significant snow here in Kansas City area also.

My first few hours on nearly empty gas tank was an adventure. Filled it up and that extra 80-90 pounds (or whatever 10 gal weighs) on the rear end helped a lot. Still have to be careful but topping off the tank every gallon or two (35-70 miles) should make a difference.

Has anyone else had their windshield squirters freeze up? I have plenty of fluid but nothing coming out. Maybe when the world thaws out ...

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you don't fill the windshield fluid yourself, a lot of places put a watered down fluid into cars to save money (most dealerships do this, hell mine didn't even come with a full tank of the stuff when I bought it). Make sure you buy the stuff meant to be effective at really low temperatures to prevent it from freezing in your tank or on your windshield as your driving!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Have had no trouble with snow thus far. Of course by the time I'm driving the road is normally plowed or at least packed down snow. The traction control built into the car helps with cornors and hills, prevents wheel slip by cutting power. I imagine this could be an issue if stuck in the snow but the system can always be turned off.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update:

TCampbell, I'm about two hours north of you so probably had the same system go through. 6-7 inches of nice wet sloppy snow.

She did a lot better today, but the snow was packed down and the roads pretty well cleared. I made it up to Wally World w/o issues and she did really good in the parking lot.

Yesterday was probably just bad because I didn't know she'd react to everything and I'm used to driving the Santa Fe. Wet, sloppy snow doesn't help. I do wish DH would get some better tires as even I can tell they suck and my car knowledge is pathetic. Maybe I can convince him to go get some. If I lived closer to my brother, he'd give me a discount on some nice ones.

Thanks for all the help. I know enough about snow not to drive fast which is why I was surprised to go sliding around corners.

·
Registered
618 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I watched a 2WD Jeep Grand Cherokee try to move from an intersection yesterday. All it could do was to spin the rear tires.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the Dunlop tires, looks like some up North are getting the Bridgestones instead. The tread wear ratings are around 30% less on them, however so they will most likely wear out quickly! On my Dunlops I got 38.5 mpg on the first tank of gas in mostly city driving pushing it a bit, since it is new.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.