Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have they changed since you bought the car? I've had mine for almost 6 mos and 7k miles and when I bought the car was mostly swayed by its sporty looks and handling and the fact that it came with a manual transmission that was silky smooth. And now, maybe partly b/c its somewhat lacking in power, I've come to be more impressed with its fuel efficiency and have found myself modifying my driving habits accordingly. I tend to drive slower now, shift gears much faster, minimize idling, etc. I'm now averaging better than 40 mpg(some of which is due to warmer weather, I'm sure) even while remaining in sport mode almost exclusively where I can still maximize the fun aspect of this car. Just curious if others had experienced a similar change.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I've definitely changed.. I used to drive like everyone else around here.. Now everyone else drives me crazy! They stomp on the gas like it's a drag race from a red light, and stomp on the brakes a few feet before they have to stop at the next light. I'm sure there's no time when their foot is not pressing a pedal down.
Now I'm nice and smooth between the stops, get there at exactly the same time, but use less fuel.
I wish everyone's car would teach them the same thing.

·
Registered
664 Posts
i've turned exactly the same way. having all these little meters to not only show you how you're driving, but also teach you how to drive at the same time is great. i am also more attentive as to how others are driving just like wicked said. its crazy how much more efficiently i'm driving than everyone else who likes to redline from stop light to stop light. it's like a game every time i get in the car to get the best mpg possible, while still being able to drive a little more carelessly from time to time

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes i have changed and with the gas prices as they are its a good change. Now when I get the urge the go fast my other Honda gives me the pleasure, that is may Honda S2000.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Have they changed since you bought the car? I've had mine for almost 6 mos and 7k miles and when I bought the car was mostly swayed by its sporty looks and handling and the fact that it came with a manual transmission that was silky smooth. And now, maybe partly b/c its somewhat lacking in power, I've come to be more impressed with its fuel efficiency and have found myself modifying my driving habits accordingly. I tend to drive slower now, shift gears much faster, minimize idling, etc. I'm now averaging better than 40 mpg(some of which is due to warmer weather, I'm sure) even while remaining in sport mode almost exclusively where I can still maximize the fun aspect of this car. Just curious if others had experienced a similar change.
I have changed and I am the same way too but I still wish it had more power in the engine and battery.

·
Registered
609 Posts
My driving has changed too. I also shift faster, and find myself watching the fuel economy gauge and driving accordingly. It carries over to most of our other cars . . . except the 370Z:thumbsup:

·
Registered
807 Posts
My driving habits have absolutely changed in switching cars.

I used to be the impatient, type-A ******* speeding over the limit.
Now I am the sluggish, hypermiling ******* doing under the limit. :)

I really feel I am more "calm" overall driving this car.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Ha, coming from an 07 Civic Hybrid, I am now driving faster and having much more fun. 90% Sport mode. Guess I'm the odd one out on this one..

:blush:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Most definitely changed in that it's a game to see how far I can glid and how many mpg I can squeeze out of her. With such a nice stereo and after installing a Bluetooth belkin aircast auto (no more wires) I crank up the tunes or a great podcast and I'm in no hurry to get anywhere.

Plus I'm seeing more of my surrounding as I such for the best mpg friendly routes.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Ha, coming from an 07 Civic Hybrid, I am now driving faster and having much more fun. 90% Sport mode. Guess I'm the odd one out on this one..

:blush:
nice :D

A little more power would be nice, but I've settled down on that front.. am accepting the car more for what it is (and can probably wait until after warranty before forcing some more air into her).
I like that it's got just enough power to be fun when I get tired of saving gas.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm like most of the rest of you, finding myself taking things much easier than I expected, shooting for the highest mileage, choosing the most fuel-efficient routes, etc. I'm really comfortable in the car and with the great stereo and all the gauges to entertain me, even my one-hour (one way) commute is much more pleasant than it used to be. Dare I say "relaxing"?

·
Registered
384 Posts
I actually think it's impossible to drive the CR-Z like an a-hole... primarily because it just doesn't respond well when you're trying to do it. I basically alternate V8 stupidity with my Avatar-car and then middle-lane slowness with the CR-Z.

Even if I want to speed in the left lane it's like the CR-Z doesn't want to do it... and I get guys riding my bumper like crazy. Then again, I usually crowd people in Priuses when I'm in the Charger :p

I think it's that pesky MPG meter that keeps staring at you telling you you're wasting gas.

I'm way more calm after driving the Charger because it's such a great highway cruiser. The seats are so nice and the car just bombs down the freeway. The CR-Z hurts my back and my butt... which makes the drive kind of suck just because it's not comfortable. I'm 6 foot 140 lbs ... and the CR-Z seats don't support me well. I have no clue how the rest of you tolerate the car with respect to the horrible seats.

Can't wait for those Clazzios.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My driving habits have absolutely changed in switching cars.

I used to be the impatient, type-A ******* speeding over the limit.
Now I am the sluggish, hypermiling ******* doing under the limit. :)

I really feel I am more "calm" overall driving this car.
The same happened to me. I used to have a much more aggressive driving and now I'm more relaxed and actually more worried about fuel efficiency.

I became so relaxed that a friend told me that now I need driving lessons because I'm driving too slow :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Im with scotty on this one.. I was in an 09 civic hybrid that drove me NUTZ. This thing is a breath of fresh air. I can go when I need to then, hit econ mode on the open road. I haven't reset b trip yet and it was at 0 when the car's odomider was at 0. Im averaging 37.5 mpg.. funny thing is I was only getting 33.1 out of the old chitvic.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well I'm in the process of... getting fixed by the car. I keep watching those little meters thinking "I know I can get 1 more MPG out of it". I'm also driving mostly econ mode... mainly because it's been about 12 years since I've driven a manual full time... and sport mode... well... I keep almost going up people's backsides when I'm in that. I'll get the hang of it again eventually though.

Still darn fun to drive.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i've turned exactly the same way. having all these little meters to not only show you how you're driving, but also teach you how to drive at the same time is great. i am also more attentive as to how others are driving just like wicked said. its crazy how much more efficiently i'm driving than everyone else who likes to redline from stop light to stop light. it's like a game every time i get in the car to get the best mpg possible, while still being able to drive a little more carelessly from time to time
:thumbsup:

Well I'm in the process of... getting fixed by the car. I keep watching those little meters thinking "I know I can get 1 more MPG out of it". I'm also driving mostly econ mode... mainly because it's been about 12 years since I've driven a manual full time... and sport mode... well... I keep almost going up people's backsides when I'm in that. I'll get the hang of it again eventually though.

Still darn fun to drive.
:thumbsup:

Thought the meters at first a bit befuddling but now that I've pretty much figured them all out I love the way they compel your attention and can modify driving behavior. Isn't it a shame that in all those negative reviews this aspect of the car is never mentioned? Probably one of its best features.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Isn't it a shame that in all those negative reviews this aspect of the car is never mentioned? Probably one of its best features.
I dono. .I'd say that's not much of a selling point for most people.. "This car will drastically change your driving style and make you slower" :)

--obviously we all think it's good now, but that's not what I was going for when I bought the car.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Kinda funny - my oldest son told me he thought the CR-Z had a "busy dash" with "too much going on". He's only driven it maybe twice, so not long enough to appreciate it. One of the things I loved about it was the busy dash with all those things going on :grin:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I dono. .I'd say that's not much of a selling point for most people.. "This car will drastically change your driving style and make you slower" :)

--obviously we all think it's good now, but that's not what I was going for when I bought the car.
Totally not what I bought it for either... but it's becoming addicting. The hybrid/gas milage was just a bonus to the fun driving.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.